PDA

View Full Version : Kill switch

gruvmstr206
05-20-2003, 11:10 PM
NE one have a good way to install a kill switch that would have to be flipped before the key can start the car? This switch could be located somewhere underneath the steering wheel or underneath the seats. A battery kill switch would be out of the question since you would have to set your radio stations every time. Suggestions? Has anyone done this before? Anyone got a schematic on what to plug into?

thanks!

Blue Impact
05-21-2003, 12:00 AM
I can't tell you how to do it, but I have one and it came with the car and it does help prevent your car getting stolen. What sucks about mine is that when I activate the kill switch, the siren for my alarm will not work. In other words, I could only have one or the other, not both.

AZmike
05-21-2003, 12:51 AM
You could prevent the fuel pump from getting power or the starter from getting the 12 V from the ignition switch.

cdscowboy
05-21-2003, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by 89LXi4dr
You could prevent the fuel pump from getting power or the starter from getting the 12 V from the ignition switch.

Exactly what I was thinking...cut the wire behind your ignition, and have some thick gauge wire to go to your kill switch (8gauge???), then complete the circuit. Shouldn't be too hard. You can find out which of the wires you need to cut if you have a manual.

Good luck :)

wikkedv15
05-21-2003, 02:30 AM
hahah my lil 3g came with a bag of tricks..
first of..
the alarm itself has a kill switch.. but its not fuel cut off
its an ignition kill switch.. which doesnt let u start the car for shit..
so even if u got in the car and tried to use something to turn the ignition.. it still wont work
then i have the separate ignition cut off box..
which is the same as before but its separate.
say i dont want my alarm on.. bcuz i might have my car open.. at a friends house or some..
just turn the lil safe looking key and pull it out..
and its armed
ehhe
3 alarms
1.normal all door .. hatch and hood alarm
2.ignition cut off/alarm
3.ignition cut off box under the cigg lighter.
do u think the previous owner was paranoid?
lol

yaxley
05-21-2003, 08:13 AM
I think the fuel pump switch is more complicated cause the power for it is in a relay under the dash. I say put in a starter kill switch it should be the yellow wire under your steering colume you do that and you cant start the car if you dont flip the switch.

DanG86LX
05-21-2003, 08:58 PM
"..I think the fuel pump switch is more complicated.."

Nah, pull FPR off and put it in ur pocket! :flipa:

AccordEpicenter
05-21-2003, 09:15 PM
Yeah i think the fuel pump switch is alot more complicated and takes alot more knowledge of the wiring schmatics BUT if anybody tries to start it with the switch off, it wont foul your plugs, flood your engine etc like ignition will. Its also bad to load up the catalyitic converter with unburned fuel, it burns it right up.

AZmike
05-22-2003, 12:28 AM
All other things being equal I would want the fuel pump cut. You can't hear someone trying to start a car with power to teh starter. A car that cranks but won't start attracts much more attention after a few tries. If you're within earshot you'll know what to listen for and go protect your car. It might turn out that the theif would just give up. Who wants a car that won't start? You might loose a stereo and a window, but your car will still be there.

I shouldn't be that hard to run a relay that cuts the +12V power to the fuel pump. I could verfiy the wire color if anyone is seriously considering doing this.

2old_honda
05-22-2003, 10:46 AM
check this out http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=0059&P=1

here is a better diagram of that circut- http://members.aol.com/hockey6688/immobilizer.jpg

Mike's89AccordLX
05-22-2003, 10:58 AM
Well you guys could do what I do when I go out drinking, I take the ignition wire and put it in the trunk :) So the car won't start. And if I'm drunk I won't figure out where to find it or how to put in on :D And it's a good anti-theft device. The only downfall is that you have to pop the hood and take it out everytime you get out of the car. So if you're too cheap to get an alarm you could do this. I only do this to prevent me from drinking and driving b/c that's stupid.

ACCORD EX
05-23-2003, 12:27 AM
locate the fuel pump fuse , then pass this fuse throw a switch first !
BTW doing it to the starter is not a good idea because he can easiely jump the car ! :D

MIKE

Mike's89AccordLX
05-25-2003, 03:30 AM
So mine would be the best b/c how many theives carry ignition wires with them for that car? Damit shouldn't have said anything b/c now people are gonna start carring them.

ACCORD EX
05-26-2003, 12:17 AM
he Mike ! i do that when i leave my car for long time ! i remove teh coil wire ! :)

MIKE

Mike's89AccordLX
05-26-2003, 12:41 AM
Yep that's what I remove also. Smart Guys think alike!!!

TJ89Accord
05-26-2003, 10:38 AM
Or an ignition kill instead of a starter kill. Because if you have a standard, you can still push start it.

tim