PDA

View Full Version : help

NewAKI
06-04-2002, 08:17 PM
my new 3g is an 86 carb....... dumb question but i never had a carbed car.....

whats the difference between carb and efi?
and can i make a cold air intake for a carbed or no?

ACCORD EX
06-05-2002, 04:37 AM
ok here you go !

pic # 1 shows a carb car ! # 2 is an EFI car with a custom air intake ! :D
an intake on the carb is possible but flipping the lid is much easier ( means flip teh cover of the air box and screwing it back on 1 )

http://members.fortunecity.com/accordex87/carbed.jpg

http://members.fortunecity.com/accordex87/efi.jpg

MIKE

NewAKI
06-05-2002, 07:34 AM
so if i flip the lid it wont hurt my engine?

CoAsTeR
06-05-2002, 04:19 PM
if I gota penny for everytime I've seen that question..... I could have afforded the FI model instead of the carb'd... .hehehehe...

just flip the lid, screw it back on. no it don't hurt the motor, just don't drive it that way in the rain or cold or extreme dust conditions just to be safe.

ACCORD EX
06-06-2002, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by NewAKI
so if i flip the lid it wont hurt my engine?

do it man !
and CoAster is right ! if it freezes where you live don't do it and if it so dusty you'll have to change the filter more often ! :)

MIKE

pimp86LX
06-06-2002, 12:51 AM
I totally agree with the "
don't drive in rain or dust" idea

ok i live with canadian winters...my ONE piece of advice is to NOT do that if you live in a colder climate, remember the ice storm of 98?
man that sucksed ass, almost every car up here froze internally, my 4runner plennum froze solid and my carbed honda simply woulnd't start, we had to be extracted from our neighborhood from by our"armed forces" lol wich is really 3 guys in a canoe with a hand grenade :lol:lol (no offense to anyone who really is in the army or canadian forces)

flipping the lid works in ideal conditions and should be limited to that if possible

btw...whats the hp/ torque gain in doing so? i can't remember

shepherd79
06-06-2002, 03:43 AM
if you gonna flip the lid, do yourself a favor go get the K&N filter.
I got mine for $35.

NewAKI
06-06-2002, 07:42 AM
hate to be a pain, but can ne1 take a pic of this done and post it for me.... thanks

CoAsTeR
06-06-2002, 11:27 AM
yeah sure, just check my pics on my website. I have a picture of it on their.

www.coastersride.cjb.net

NewAKI
06-06-2002, 12:21 PM
Thanks coaster for the pics, now i get it the whole flip the lid... LOL IM SOOOOOO SLOW!!!!!!

ACCORD EX
06-06-2002, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by NewAKI
Thanks coaster for the pics, now i get it the whole flip the lid... LOL IM SOOOOOO SLOW!!!!!!

man i was a lot slower @ first @ :D :p

MIKE