PDA

View Full Version : to replace whole engine or not?

mystre4u2
05-21-2003, 05:28 PM
im kinda new to this but i was wondering.......... i took my head off and my oil pan to get a piston out because the rod had snaped. could there be more damage than that or could i just pop another piston in there from another a20a1 without anymore problems. please leave advice cause i dont wanna waste money on a whole engine if i could just nab a piston and rod. oh yeah how do i post picts?

Sean
05-21-2003, 06:56 PM
jusr replace the existing engine with a rebuilt or low mileage used engine. theres no way to repai that type of damage.

mystre4u2
05-21-2003, 07:08 PM
I TOOK OFF THE HEAD AND THE OIL PAN OFF KNOCKED THE PISTON OUT AND THERE WERE NO HOLES IN THE BLACK, BUT JUST ALITTLE DAMAGE TO THE CRANCK SHAFT WHERE THE BEARING GO BECAUSE WHEN IT WAS RUBING ON THERE ALITTLE, I FIGURE I COULD JUST REPLACE THE ONE

AZmike
05-21-2003, 07:38 PM
I'm with Sean; get a low-mileage Japanese import. For a couple hundred more than possibly fixing your engine you'll have an engine that is in much better shape overall.

Also, there's no need to go posting in every thread if your questions are not answered immediately.

anchovies
05-22-2003, 08:59 PM
If that's what you want to do, then you can bring your crank to a machine shop and then use an oversized bearing (if you can find some). Or get a new crank, bearings journals.
This route will probably cost you about half the price of a used a20.