PDA

View Full Version : New Radiator Question

87DX
05-21-2003, 06:14 PM
Well my problem has gotten the best of me, and I'm going to break down and get a new radiator.

Where is the cheapest place to get one?

Anything I should know?

Cheers,

Bob

1988starter
05-21-2003, 06:17 PM
try www.nopionline.com

AZmike
05-21-2003, 07:32 PM
I'd recommend getting one with metal tanks. I ended up breaking the plastic hose fitting last time I changed hoses. A radiator with ductile metal end tanks wouldn't have done that.

A20A1
05-21-2003, 11:18 PM
umm make sure you get the right type...

there is an auto trans radiator and a Manual trans Radiator

anchovies
05-21-2003, 11:27 PM
radiator.com
they price match also
or get one from ebay..quite cheap sometimes

netfreak
05-21-2003, 11:47 PM
Yep just make sure you don't get a manual tranny radiator if you drive an automatic. The automatic one has two extra hoses for transmission fluid.

AZmike
05-22-2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by netfreak
Yep just make sure you don't get a manual tranny radiator if you drive an automatic. The automatic one has two extra hoses for transmission fluid.

I thought the extra hoses ran coolant through the transmission to cool it, not ATF. Correct me if I'm wrong. I've only had to work on my manual.

DBMaster
05-22-2003, 06:21 AM
No, the two connectors allow ATF to run through a pipe in the lower radiator tank to assist in cooling the transmission.

I do not think the metal tank radiators are any better than the plastic. I replaced mine a couple of years ago and the replacement just happened to have metal tanks ($99 delivered pricing). Eventually you get leaks at the solder joints because the tanks are brass and the radiator core is either copper or aluminum, orboth. the best is plastic tanks and a totally aluminum core if you can find one. They stay cleaner internally. that is what they use in the newer vehicles.

Either way, a decent radiator ought to last you a good ten years plus regardless of what it's made of.