PDA

View Full Version : New head unit installation

89accordLXiAllAudio
05-21-2003, 06:39 PM
Hey this question might seem dumb, but i dont wanna mess something up by just pulling really hard. i just got a used alpine cd player, and (wow this is embarassing) cant seem to get my stock tape deck out. im driving an 89 lxi 4 door. any non-heckling help appreciated. Thanks

89accordLXiAllAudio
05-21-2003, 07:03 PM
sorry, i committed the worst sin of message boards, not checking previous threads, i found a similar one, havent tried it yet, but i think i can get it. on a side note, my friend gave me a pair of stock BOSE 6x9s from his maxima. i already have better 6x9s in the back, so i think im gonna put them on the back doors. Has anyone ever tried this? also, in a bit of a dumb move, i put my head unit waiting to be put in on the back seat, and when i stopped quick, it fell on one of the 6x9s and put a hole in the cone. Can i still salvage the speaker? dont just say, buy another, my car is Project: Second Hand Audio, so i cant buy new stuff, sorry for the long reply to my own thread, but any help or whatever would be nice, thanks

AccordEpicenter
05-21-2003, 09:53 PM
ok, first off i wouldnt put the speakers in the back doors, there are no wires for them so youd have to run the wires thru the door jambs and into the doors and hack holes for them... its not worth it, Besides the back deck already has holes for them. As far as the speaker, ive seen a few attempts at fixing cones but its not worth it, for the time youve spend trying to fix the thing (trust me ive tried repairing speakrs before) you coulda got a new one that would sound better and not keep breaking. I say go to a junk yard and look for some good speakers. Ive seen cars with really good speakers that i coulda got for like $3 each. For another thing, the factory HU is held in by 1 small phillips head screw underneath the dash at the back of the head unit. I usually temporarily remove the black box under the console so i can stick my hand and a screwdriver up into there and undo the screw. Once you do that you can stick your finger in the tape slot and pull that mofo out, assuming you removed the right screw. Good thing you didnt try to bust it out... you woulda destroyed the entire dashboard trying to get it out, it just wont come out without removing the screw.

89accordLXiAllAudio
05-22-2003, 05:31 AM
well being project ghetto car, i put some silicone sealant on the hole in the cone and it seems to be working fine. i havent hooked it up in the car yet, but when i plugged it into the reciever from my home theater system, it was really clear and i couldnt tell that it was ripped. Who knows how it will last in the car. The only reason that i want to put the speakers in the back door is because they wont fit in the front door, and i have already changed the rear decks to pioneers that are much better than the 2 im trying to put into the door. i considered doing a little pod thing so i could put the 6x9s in the front door, but i dont want to do all that work if i dont have to, also im going for a more professional look, and pods never look that good. i thought about the whole wiring issue, but i have power locks and windows, so wont there be wiring already inside of the door that i can run along side of? thanks for the help with head unit, i plan on putting that in later today.

goldyaccord
05-22-2003, 07:51 AM
ha ha now we got peeps trying to fix Dem speakers. I'd just throw away and get some 40 dolllar pioneers speakers from Walmart.

89accordLXiAllAudio
05-22-2003, 09:35 AM
i would buy new ones, but did you not read how my car is Project: Second Hand Audio, i cant buy new stuff. anyway, the speakers work fine, i tested them out. any suggestions with putting in the second pair of 6x9s?

POS carb
05-22-2003, 02:32 PM
there's 2 rectangular holes in the rear deck, you can see it from inside the trunk, you can cut the stuffin of the rear deck and mount them there, or get some of those truck/hatchback 6x9 boxes

POS carb
05-22-2003, 02:33 PM
lol I put stuffin.
y'all.
lol

89accordLXiAllAudio
05-23-2003, 05:21 AM
well i got the head unit in last night. Unfourtunately its so old it wont play and burned cds (weak). O well, i does sound a lot better, the only thing to do now is find some way to throw in those other 6x9s, i'll look for those rectangular holes u speak of. ill keep you all posted.

IWLSF
05-24-2003, 03:46 PM
I'm curious to see if that ghetto repair will hold up. Home theater systems dont push shit. Crank it up once they're in your car to see just how well they push.

88LX-iSedan
05-24-2003, 05:39 PM
Actually silicone works really good, Did for me anyway and i used it on my subs ...The surrounds ripped apart from the baskett so i siliconed it back toghether, Better than new... Not really. But they still hit hard enough to render the rear views useless, And i've had them siliconed for about a year now.. Still holdin up!

IWLSF
05-24-2003, 07:53 PM
Eh, that's a surround though, and that's more than likely rubber. I'm sure his speaker is a paper design, and it's on the cone. I dont know how that'd hold up at all.

89accordLXiAllAudio
05-26-2003, 05:35 PM
well heres the latest update, i still havent put in that 6x9 that i siliconed back together, i took out the stock front speakers and determined that there is no way to possibly fit those 6x9s in, o well, i guess they'll sit around and wait in case my back pioneer 6x9s blow (not gonna happen without an amp) There may be another addition to project: second hand audio, my friend says he'll let me borrow a 500 watt amp and 500 watt sub, dont know the brand on either of them, probably crappy, but the price is right. heheheh well thats it for now. One more thing, my ghetto alpine head unit does play burned cds, it just wouldnt play one of them that my friend burned. Luckily it will play all of the ones i burn.