PDA

View Full Version : Reverse gear clunk

LX-eye
05-21-2003, 09:55 PM
Has anyone experienced a clunk or grind when going into reverse on a manual? My 90 civic does the same thing. It doesn't always do it but sometimes after I start the car I will put it into reverse and it will kind of grind and make a clunk noise. I usually go into another gear first before putting it into reverse but it doesn't seem to help. Any help on this would be much appreciated.

AccordEpicenter
05-21-2003, 10:23 PM
Just about all of our trannies, auto or 5 speed have a small clunk when going into reverse. I guess its just the way they are designed. In a 5 speed it really shouldnt grind, if it does, make sure your clutch is adjusted correctly

mindlos
05-21-2003, 10:25 PM
Arent you supposed to wait about 2 seconds or something after coming to a stop or pressing the clutch before before putting it in reverse? Something about internals coming to a stop .... maybe I was dreaming.

Jareds 89 LX-i
05-21-2003, 10:33 PM
Yea you're supposed to wait a couple seconds after pushing the clutch in, or put it in any forward gear before shifting to reverse. This is because reverse gear has no syncromesh to make everything go together smoothly like the 5 forward gears do. Just about any manual tranny will grind in reverse if you try and put it in right away, especially if you're still rolling a little bit.

SiR
05-21-2003, 11:10 PM
Jareds right on that, is it also harder to put it into Reverse and/or and other gears (more specificly the First)?

LX-eye
05-22-2003, 08:35 AM
I do wait...I usually wait until the idle goes down before I put it into reverse. Like I said before I will put it into another gear first then go to reverse. My Integra I had was sometimes difficult to put into reverse but it never would grind or make a clunk noise.

Janiel
05-22-2003, 09:09 AM
Well my transmission grinds when i power shift my car.l It grinds 2nd And 3rd? The thing is that my clutch slips but when its in 1st and i rev it the car will start to move? Please help.

meohmy01
05-22-2003, 12:40 PM
it may be an engine mount.

AccordEpicenter
05-22-2003, 01:38 PM
also make sure you arent rolling when you shift into reverse, or from reverse to 1st... thatll grind gears

od2681
05-22-2003, 01:52 PM
if you think it will do it...shift to another gear first and then in reverse...always works for me

crwa
05-22-2003, 03:45 PM
My auto, clunks when I put it into drive, what could that be??? And the fluid is fine...

DanG86LX
05-23-2003, 09:15 PM
Could be this "reverse idler gear" (http://3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9857) !?

carotman
05-24-2003, 07:18 AM
That "problem" is all described in the owner's manual....

88' Accord Ltd
05-24-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by od2681
shift to another gear first and then in reverse...always works for me

Same here, always works too!

netfreak
05-24-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by crwa
My auto, clunks when I put it into drive, what could that be??? And the fluid is fine...

My auto used to make a loud SHING kind of noise when going from reverse to any gear (except neutral). Last time I drove it, the same thing happened going from drive to park. Cable is probably a bit loose, but my tranny crossed the Styx many months ago :D

TJ89Accord
05-24-2003, 06:29 PM
Yah I got in the habit of always putting it in first, or second, then putting it into reverse. I do it without thinking now. Except I don't need to now cause I have a stupid automatic...

tim

IWLSF
05-24-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Janiel
Well my transmission grinds when i power shift my car.l It grinds 2nd And 3rd? The thing is that my clutch slips but when its in 1st and i rev it the car will start to move? Please help.

Did nobody else catch this? Power shifting is without using the clutch. WTF? When in 1st, and he revs, his car moves??? Duh??? Either way, everything said above is true. And the clunking or grind is univeral in every manual transmission (excluding Tiptronics or newer trannies). Dont worry about it, just dont switch while moving, or immediately after stopping. It tends to happen as well when you quickly shift, so give it a couple seconds like they said.