PDA

View Full Version : oil leaks

Black89LX-i
05-22-2003, 11:24 AM
I recently wrote a thread oil pan gasket but that isn't what I am worried about right now. I am having oil leaks on the back side of the motor(side facing th firewall). I am concerned about this because it lightly smokes and the smell is very heavy. I was trying see where it is coming from but there is to much of it all on the side. I have changed the valve cover gasket so I know that VCG is good. So my question is are there any gaskets below the VCG on that side of the motor? Or can ay thing be leaking on that side as well?:mad:

Mike's89AccordLX
05-22-2003, 11:26 AM
Only other gasket I know of is the head gasket which I hope it isn't it. Could it possibly be blow by?

mindlos
05-22-2003, 12:13 PM
Also look around your oil filter. It may be loose.

Mike's89AccordLX
05-22-2003, 12:21 PM
Yeah good suggestion I totally forgot about the filter. Maybe just needs a twist.

Black89LX-i
05-22-2003, 12:30 PM
I'll try the oil filter. Would the head gasket leak oil?

AccordEpicenter
05-22-2003, 01:33 PM
Ive never seen one leak on these cars, another good thing is to look at the pcv hose and that box that the hose plugs into (from under the car back there) mines leaking and it looks like an oil pan gasket bigtime...

DBMaster
05-22-2003, 02:01 PM
It doesn't take much of an oil leak from the pan gasket to get the entire underside of the engine wet. Even a little dripping on the exhaust pipe under the pan can casue smoke and a lot of smell.

I rarely had to add oil, but it always smelled like something was burning. Once I got the pan gasket fixed the smell went away. Magic, right?

Black89LX-i
05-22-2003, 03:38 PM
Thanks fo the advice. I didn't think it was the oil pan gasket cause it is on the bottom of the car. I forgot about the exhaust runing right underneath the oil pan. And again thank you guys.

P.S. I bet you guys are tired of hearing from me, sorry.