PDA

View Full Version : timing belt advice

Greg
05-22-2003, 05:33 PM
OK guys, here's the deal:

I still have my 87 Accord LX & my G/F's 86 LXI, but I picked up a 90 Civic 3Dr DX just to sell. Got it for $200 with a busted window and leaky exhaust pipe. $40 for window from boneyard and $3 for exhaust patch-up kit, and it's good to go.

I'm about to sell it to this guy for $1050 who's gonna drive it to Michigan (from Chicago). Then I got all paranoid about the t-belt, and worried about it breaking on him cuz I didn't know jack shit about the car's service records (although the engine is really in good shape at 150K miles -- real smooth, no hesitation, no miss).

Anyway, I took off the top cover today. It's a factory honda belt. It's pretty old. I changed the engine position a couple times by turning on the key for just a split second to reposition the crank.

Basically, the belt has just a tiny bit of fray in a couple sections, and other than that it's pretty smooth & shiny from wear. There's no real bad fray, just a couple threads sticking out the sides for like 1/3 centimeter in a couple spots.

Do you guys think it'll make it on a 400 mile trip? I'm gonna tell him to get it changed this summer, but should I tell him that he shouldn't drive it for 400 miles before getting the belt changed?

I've never had one break on me, but part of it is because I'm paranoid about this shit and I keep up with changing them on my cars. I've worked on a couple cars that were missing teeth on the belt and really badly cracked and shit, but I don't really have a good sense for how much to expect from a worn, slightly frayed, but not really cracked or physically warped belt.

I'd appreciate some experienced advice.

wthramann
05-22-2003, 05:53 PM
Is the person buying it a family member? I think a private sale is a buyer beware issue. Telling the buyer that you do not have the service records so you think the timing belt is overdue to be changed should absolve you of any responsibility. BTW I do not think the exhaust patch will hold up.

ACCORD EX
05-23-2003, 12:34 AM
i wouldn't go on trip like that with a belt that is semi good ! only my opinion ! :)

MIKE

cruznz
05-23-2003, 01:01 AM
by your description of the belt,i'd say it's never been changed,...i'd recommend that the belt be done before any long distance driving be done

You really need to take the belt off to check it properly,..in which case...offer to change it for extra $$$,...or inform the buyer of your concerns if you are worried about it

AZmike
05-23-2003, 11:51 AM
The part of the belt that goes is the teeth on the inside. You want to check for cracks there. Nearly all of the belts that have failed that I know of just sheared a bunch of teeth off on the crankshaft spocket. It will probably go the 400 miles (only another 0.3% of the belt's life). Either way, it should definitely be done soon. Maybe add $100 to the price and replace it before the sale.

easyryder
06-03-2003, 06:52 PM
If you say the belt is frayed ....Loose the belt I've never seen aTbelt that I would trust frayed ..REPLACE IT! add it into the price if you have to! Piece of mind is priceless