PDA

View Full Version : 89LXi transmission froze

Robs89LXi
05-22-2003, 11:57 PM
Recently aquired a 1989 LXi Coupe w/ 5-speed. Person I bought it from said they had the transmission worked on few months before sale, but that it was in good shape. Car has 247K miles and original tranny has been rebuilt once before (lost 5th gear). The problem I am having now is that I ran the car to work (20miles freeway) and it shifted fine. On the way home, it ran fine until time to exit and then it would not shift out of 5th. Had to yank it to get it into neutral, and could then only get it into 1st and 2nd to get home. I did not start it for several days, but would try to shift it into gears while it sat. No better. Then, magically, it shifted just fine. Ran it around the block a few times, and it shifted fine. Again took it to work and again froze on trip home after getting it up into 5th gear. Now can only get it into 3rd + 4th with difficulty. Noticed no fluid cap; have to get it in through bung? How is this done without some type of pump? Will this cure my woes if indeed fluid is low? If this is the problem, is my tranny shot at this point (frozen), or can I somehow nurse it back? Thanks in advance for any help.

AZmike
05-23-2003, 12:19 AM
You can add fluid (10W-30 for coler climates, 10W-40 for warmer climates) by removing the filler plug above and behind the passener side axle. A funnel with a hose works well for this. Park on a level surface and fill it until it leaks out the fill hole. If you have low fluid this may solve the problem assuming no permanent damage was done.

A low fluid level will usually cook your 5th gear first since those gears sit highest in the transmission and will be the first gears to go above the oil level. Without oil the friction gets those gears really hot after a few miles cruising in 5th.

Check that it's full and let us know what you find.

Robs89LXi
06-05-2003, 07:36 PM
Sorry it took so long to get back on this; been kinda busy. I checked the fluid level, but it was okay. Oil looked real clear too, not dirty at all. Any other suggestions? Also, how do you remove the shift plate from around the shift lever itself inside the car? The front two bolts remove real easy, but the back two are impossible. Also, are there two middle ones that have nuts below, and if so, do I have to drop the exhaust to get to them? Thanks again for your help.

easyryder
06-05-2003, 07:47 PM
I would recomend dumping the tranny fluid and replacing it .I've seen too many people try to run gear oil in the tranny If that is what is in your trans you will burn off your gears one by one starting with 5th

Jareds 89 LX-i
06-05-2003, 08:02 PM
Almost sounds like the clutch is fried, although I'm not sure how to confirm that. I've heard of several other people have similar problems where it wouldn't shift gears, and it turned out to be the clutch gone bad.

Someone else may be able to give more info.... that's all I could think of.

Does the car roll (or able to be pushed) when it's in neutral and the e-brake off?

easyryder
06-05-2003, 08:34 PM
Jared has another Very good point ...How high on the pedal is your engagement?

Robs89LXi
06-05-2003, 10:12 PM
Good thought. I'll try replacing the fluid as you suggest, but yes, the clutch may be the culprit. I do have to let out a lot on the clutch pedal before I get engagement. Also, yes, the car does roll and can be pushed in neutral with the e-brake off. How hard is clutch replacement on this tranny?

easyryder
06-06-2003, 05:50 PM
A good Q for you Have you tried adjusting your clutch free play?

Robs89LXi
06-06-2003, 06:54 PM
Ahh, the simple things. No, I did not even think of that, but I will. I'll let you know how it comes out. Thanks.

Robs89LXi
06-30-2003, 01:02 PM
Okay, clutch free play is fine and fluid is fine. Noticed that bushings at front of shift rod were very worn, so had those replaced. When I detached the shift rod from the transmission, I was able to move the shifter into the gears rather easily, which leads me to beleive my problem is internal in the transmission itself. I will be getting a set of Hurst poly shift stabilizer bushings and replacing my stock ones anyway, as they do seem a bit loose. I will try this just to make sure that the problem is not in the shift mechanism before I get into the transmission. Any other thoughts on this?

cruznz
07-01-2003, 01:08 AM
do you know why the tranny was worked on before you got it?

sounds like it may not have been put back together correctly.

Can you shift the tranny into gear without the shifter connected?(while you have it off at the moment)

Robs89LXi
07-01-2003, 03:10 AM
Not sure why it was pulled last time, but should be able to find out. How do I shift the tranny with the shifter disconnected?

cruznz
07-01-2003, 03:35 AM
just grab the tranny lever with your hand and push in then up or down,.....then pull out then up 'n down.....just have a play,...you'll soon see how it operates,...in and out is neutral,...you should be able to do this by hand reasonably easy.......but it would be handy to know why it was worked on

89AccordLXI666
07-08-2003, 08:51 PM
I am thinking about replacing the tranny fluid soon too... what type of tranny (Brand) would u guy's recommend me using??? Also how do adjust the clutch... where is the cable located at?? Thanks in advanced guy's lataz