PDA

View Full Version : Suspension? Power? Braking?

markmdz89hatch
05-23-2003, 08:41 AM
Ok guys, many of my friends know that I do all the work on my car, and that I know a little about "modding" a car. (Hence the reason I want to open a shop soon enough.) Anyway, the question that I always get is: "I just bought this car, what should I do FIRST?"

So that's what I want to know. What do you guys suggest as the first mod that should be done to a car to make it more enjoyable?

Personally, my answer will always be Suspension. Two cars, same cars, but one having a better suspension then the other; The car with better suspension will feel, ride, and drive much faster/better then the car with stock suspension. True, there's no hp being added, like with an intake, or exhaust, but my theory on that whole thing is that you can have all the power you want, but unless you can translate that to the ground effectively, it's wasted, and you can't really feel the benefits of it.

If I were to put an order to the three, it'd be Suspension, Braking, Power.

Oh well, so let's hear what you guys think.

Morpheus
05-23-2003, 10:45 AM
I think power for the 3gee because I think that is where it is lacking most intially.

88' Accord Ltd
05-23-2003, 11:26 AM
I too think that the car handling and ride should be taken care of first to fully enjoy the car and the cars ride. Not too mention our cars look better lowered. Then would come some power, mod up the engine a bit then after when you have power, do the brakes because you need better brakes to be stopping the car from going to fast quickly. Afterwards continue modding the engine. IMO it should go suspension, power/brakes, power

'A20A3'
05-23-2003, 11:46 AM
braking/suspension/power

start from the ground up:pimp:

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
05-23-2003, 12:52 PM
Well I did not vote.. I guess if I were you, I would base my choice on what available funds I have. Then think about the goal you have for the car. Or sell the 3geez and buy yourself the 300zx you want!! :wave:

'A20A3'
05-23-2003, 04:25 PM
i guess i voted for braking 'cuz that's what i did first.

2Fast_Fiero
05-23-2003, 04:32 PM
Yo, my personal opinion just because my car club (TWISTED) Runs 2 Race/Automotive Accesories Shop...I'd say do a variaty with everything. If a person wants thier car more "Enjoyable" they will have to just build it up. Suspension is a good factor to start with for the same reason you gave, better, more acurate suspension will help out with handeling, 1/4 mile times. And all out difference in the ride. Braking also works on the same level, in Road Cources you are going to use the brakes, the less energy you waste in braking your car, the better, the quicker your car will brake with less engergy can effect track times, handeling. Those things would have to be some of the first things you do to a car before adding power. Stock suspension cannot handle an after market engine. Suspension will eliminate wheel chatter or hop, suspension and braking will help control the car at the high speeds that the engine is making the car acheive....but if your going to open a race shop, even if the person comes up to you and asks you what to do first, Ask them what they want to do with thier car, why they wanna do it, and how much they are willing to spend in the long run. There is different applications for everything. But don't be fooled by the obvious mods (IE: Intake, Exhaust)....You put a Cold Air Intake on a car, it adds 5hp if that, you add a cat back to a stock motor, you lose power and gain an impresivly anoying sound. Air, Fuel, Spark! Then you have the sub devisions of those...Air: Intake, Cam, Cam Gear, Exhaust....Fuel: Fuel Pump, FPR, Injectors, Fuel Lines....Spark: Thicker Spark Plug Wires, Spark Plugs, Coils, Dist.'s, MSD Baby! I pretty much sumed up all of the basics. But go ahead and read this forum if its still working, it changed me from making plenty mistakes to making sure I do things right and get it right the first time.

2Fast_Fiero
05-23-2003, 04:35 PM
http://www.sromagazine.com/boards/showthread.php?threadid=27500

'A20A3'
05-23-2003, 04:50 PM
that's a good link. i like it.:werd:

2Fast_Fiero
05-24-2003, 08:01 AM
Use it Wisely, Read It Carefully! Its a very good guide. It was in a different form when I read it, but now its more advanced.

88' Accord Ltd
05-24-2003, 12:57 PM
Good info on that site from the link. But their 3g engine specs are wrong!! :rolleyes:

Trowa
05-24-2003, 10:55 PM
That's some pretty good info there =)
Very interesting to read