PDA

View Full Version : loose suspension???

NXRacer
05-23-2003, 08:49 AM
A while ago, i (accidently) jumped my car while doing about 50 MPH down the road. I hit a rise in the road which launched me (all 4 wheels) off the ground. After that, i noticed that my rearend seems to be REALLY loose. I dont know if i may have bent a sway bar or possibly broke something. Anybody ever do this or have an idea as to what my be the problem??? Thanks.

Jims 86LXI HB
05-24-2003, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by NXRacer
A while ago, i (accidently) jumped my car while doing about 50 MPH down the road. I hit a rise in the road which launched me (all 4 wheels) off the ground. After that, i noticed that my rearend seems to be REALLY loose. I dont know if i may have bent a sway bar or possibly broke something. Anybody ever do this or have an idea as to what my be the problem??? Thanks.

What is your defination of "REALLY loose". What's it doing?

You may destroyed your rear struts by bottoming out the strut rods internally and wrecking the valving inside them.

NXRacer
05-27-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Jims 86LXI HB
What is your defination of "REALLY loose". What's it doing?

You may destroyed your rear struts by bottoming out the strut rods internally and wrecking the valving inside them.

When i swerve right to left my rear end sways really bad. I didnt hear anything pop or break like i think i would hear if i blew out the struts, but i dont know what that sounds like. I thought maybe i trashed the bushings or bent the sway bar or something.

AZmike
06-02-2003, 12:22 PM
If you push down hard on the rear corner of yor car several times to get it bouncing how many times will it bounce after you've stopped pushing? Good struts should stop it in one or two bounces (second bounce should be MUCH smaller than the first if there is one); any more than that and your strut is not working correctly.

Have you put the car on on jack stands, removed the wheels and taken a good look at the suspension? You may find the problem right away by checking for differences between the left and right sides if something is bent.

NXRacer
06-02-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by 89LXi4dr

Have you put the car on on jack stands, removed the wheels and taken a good look at the suspension? You may find the problem right away by checking for differences between the left and right sides if something is bent.

Yeah, i know that happens when the struts are out thats why i didnt think i ruined the struts. I havent noticed anything obviously wrong with the rear end, but i havent taken an in depth look at it either. I'm going to give it a good once over when i convert to 4 wheel disc brakes.