PDA

View Full Version : Steering box question

ChthonicPowers
05-23-2003, 10:35 AM
Some days ago i went to this mechanic to have my car checked since the axle fluid was leaking from the seal. So while checking the axle and stuff, the mechanic sat on the driver seat and moved the steering wheel (car turned off) it produced some knocking noises. So he told me there's something wrong with the steering box. i told him I'll get back to him sometime soon. The last night while searching for steering box i found this:

Try to shake quickly steering wheel turning it left and right at a small degree (quarter of full circle) . There should not be excessive free play, neither knocking noises. If the car has the power steering, try to do so with the engine running. Check the power steering for a leaks. Check steering fluid level. If you find any leaks, have your car inspected by a mechanic - if the power steering starts leaking, it will stop working soon. If the car has rack & pinion type steering mechanism (as in the image), try to check both of steering boots (marked with an arrow) they should not be damaged. If any of them has some damage, it hast to be replaced - have your car inspected.

http://www.samarins.com/check/122.jpg

Now, since the car has power steering, i checked it with the car turned on and no noise, but i am a little suspicious of the steering box, and I do feel that the steering has excessive feedback. So i would like some of you guys to go test your car's steering (with car turned off and on) and let us all know if the knocking noise with the car turned off is normal?

is there any other way to tell my steering is messed up? Itself, the steering is ubber light. its just the feedback thats a little annoying. that too only on the rough surfaces.

Help. :sadwave:

ChthonicPowers
05-23-2003, 11:28 PM
14 views, 0 replies :(

Mike's89AccordLX
05-23-2003, 11:33 PM
Well I guess I can reply so you don't have a tizzy about 15 views and 0 replies. ;) I'll have to agree that it could be your steering box. I checked mine and it doesn't knock or make anyother noises than the tires turning on cement.

cruznz
05-23-2003, 11:57 PM
checked mine,car off, and there was a bit of a knock,....so i'll have to check mine,maybe try adjusting it to see if it has any effect because i have abit of excess freeplay in the steering wheel too

Mike's89AccordLX
05-24-2003, 12:10 AM
Oh I forgot to mention that I have a little freeplay in the wheel also. Not much though.