PDA

View Full Version : 205/45/17 or 205/50/17

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
05-23-2003, 07:36 PM
Has anybody ran either of these settings on their accords? Just curious to the results that came out of that.. I am currently running 205/40/17 and the drive is a pain in the a**. Last week I put the rims back on and that same night I hit a pot hole and the ruined the rim.. I want to run bigger tires so the many pot holes we have here do not ruin my rims..

Jims 86LXI HB
05-23-2003, 07:49 PM
Oh man, way way to tall, it'll be like running taller gearing, not to mention I doubt you have wheels that weigh even the stock weight. Plus when you go taller with your tires, it's moves the tire closer to the fender lips. If things are close with the stock tires, you'll be closer with taller tires. I just don't think it's a viable solution to consider. Granted I see your reason's. I'd vote for better dodgeing skills:D or go to 16's.

Mike's89AccordLX
05-23-2003, 07:54 PM
Man that's why I love my oldschool SI rims!!!! I will never really have to worry about bending my 13's.

dXsquared
05-23-2003, 07:55 PM
i ran 215/45 and 215/40 and 205/40

i like 215/40 the best

Travis

guaynabo89
05-23-2003, 09:07 PM
I'm running 205/45/17.

Better on the pottholes than 40's no rubbing.( have camber kits though)

Downside is taller gearing like Jim said.

I was thinking about trying 215/40's next time.

One factor is rim width too. You run a 205/40/17 on a 7.5" wide rim You'll usually have a rougher ride than a 7" wide rim.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
05-23-2003, 09:15 PM
The new wheels I have weigh 17 lbs. My potholedoging skills were great, but I git used too driving on stockies over the winter. Plus I was having a conversation and I was not paying real close attention like I usually do.. I really like the 17 look, plus the new rims are paid for just waiting to order new rubber.. I guess I have some choices to make. Thanks for the help!! Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.. Also Jim.. I just received my dv cable.. any tips on making clean clear videos?

locosman
05-23-2003, 09:26 PM
I'm just about to buy new rims and tires. I've narrowed the rims down to 17" Konig Hole's or Heliums and was going to get Falken FK 451s in 205/40ZR17 's. But now I see this thread recommending 215/40-17.

Can those of u who've run both the 205/40 and 215/40 expand on the ride difference?

Thx a mill!

Jims 86LXI HB
05-24-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by locosman
I'm just about to buy new rims and tires. I've narrowed the rims down to 17" Konig Hole's or Heliums and was going to get Falken FK 451s in 205/40ZR17 's. But now I see this thread recommending 215/40-17.

Can those of u who've run both the 205/40 and 215/40 expand on the ride difference?

Thx a mill!

If you can't get, whatever rim you want in 45mm offset, DO NOT TRY THE 215mm width. Also, unfortunately know that whenever you go wider, you also go taller. That tire is 1/2" taller than oem size. Granted that translates to only a 2.4% differance, but your not dealing with allot of power under the hood to not notice the effect of taller gearing. I'm not talking about something only something only someone that doing 1/4 mile times would care about, I'm talking about something that you the everyday guy will notice. Yes the extra gip of the wider tire would be nice, but it's really not much wider (just look at the specs and you can see that) and taller tire thing kinda cancels out much of the wider tread benefits.

Jims 86LXI HB
05-24-2003, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by ‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
The new wheels I have weigh 17 lbs. My potholedoging skills were great, but I git used too driving on stockies over the winter. Plus I was having a conversation and I was not paying real close attention like I usually do.. I really like the 17 look, plus the new rims are paid for just waiting to order new rubber.. I guess I have some choices to make. Thanks for the help!! Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.. Also Jim.. I just received my dv cable.. any tips on making clean clear videos?

Replace the pothole messed up rim and sell the rims as a set without tires in the market place, use the money from the sale to get 16's, that would be my suggestion.

On the DV thing. What type of connection is on the other end of the cable leading out of the camera? I'll take it that it's a standard composite jack or a "RCA" jack. You'd want to hook directly into the back of your VCR's audio/video in ports. Do keep in mind that your DV records allot better picture than your VCR can. DV is better than S-VHS and HI8 which have 400lines per inch, I'm pretty sure DV has 500 lines per inch. Your VCR can only do 240, that's the catch. Your goal is to not try and not lose much. Use a good quality tape. Best thing you can do, is hook up to your computer into a DVD burner and burn a DVD of DV tape.