PDA

View Full Version : Yeah! New exauhst :D

pimp86LX
05-24-2003, 05:50 PM
K, well the story goes that my sis is getting my rusty ole 3g and my paw' gave me his buick regal. Anyway, the flex on the 3g pipe rotted out and my uncle told he will fix it(mechanic uncles RULE). Guess what i came home with?

2.5" all the way back, with gutted CAT and cherry bomb!

SHWING! It sounds soooo damn sweet i don't want to let it go. :( that is until i get duals on that buick :D

-Peace

IWLSF
05-24-2003, 06:47 PM
Badass, I've just graduated with my cert from a local vo-tech, but before I even did, half the family was already coming to me for all their car work. I predict I'm going to be one of the 'mechanic uncles' as well someday lol. Too bad to see a 3g go though, hopefully she'll treat it well though and who knows, maybe she'll get interested and start posting on here! LoL...

pimp86LX
05-24-2003, 07:05 PM
oh I only wish!! she hasn't even got it and she's already complaining. wah wah wah. she's lucky she doesn't have to pay for it. what a waste of a 3g

btw. i just took it for a peel. :D it has a noticable increase in 'pull' between 3 1/2 and 4k rpm :D:D

IWLSF
05-24-2003, 07:08 PM
Damn lol. Shoulda given her the Toyota or something then. Or even the bike lol, I'm sure she'd love that.

pimp86LX
05-24-2003, 07:10 PM
heh heh man, just wait till i get pic's of the bike!!! Im re-chroming all the shinney peieces, new chain and sprokets, and im 'still' rebuilding the carbs..lol

i only paid $400CAN with 17000 miles on it..:-O she's a diomand in the rough!!

Mike's89AccordLX
05-24-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by IWLSF
Badass, I've just graduated with my cert from a local vo-tech, but before I even did, half the family was already coming to me for all their car work. I predict I'm going to be one of the 'mechanic uncles' as well someday lol. Too bad to see a 3g go though, hopefully she'll treat it well though and who knows, maybe she'll get interested and start posting on here! LoL...

Dude I know what you mean, I'm going to be starting school next fall to be a mechanic at a vo-tech school. And my entire family is already asking me to do stuff. They know I have done all or most of the work to the 3G so they know I can handle a lot. Well it's kinda getting annoying b/c they don't want to pay a fricken dime. (my brother for instants, I've installed CAI, Ignition coil and module, bead blasted and painted his valve cover, changed a few flat tires on his rims, and I never asked for anything in return but seriously wouldn't you kinda offer to pay me something.) It gets on my nerves that he just expects me to do the crap now and he doesn't know why I tell him to go f**k off now. Well my uncle asked me to change the head gasket on his newer mercades benz, and I was like dude you need to goto a specialize mechanic for those cars. And I was asked to install an A/C unit into a Riviera. I like the experience but I would like start making some money b/c right now I'm freaken broke.

IWLSF
05-24-2003, 07:22 PM
That sucks lol. I've got paid for all of my word so far from family. Brake job in an Eclipse Spyder, fender-mounted solenoid on a F-150 XLT (plus 120 miles of driving there, 120 miles back), and a full 60,000 mile maintenance on my mom's Grand Voyager. So far, I've been paid for it all. The way I look at it, they're already saving money coming to me. My mom's package woulda been $600 from the dealership. She spent $160 on parts, paid me $120, total $280, and STILL saved $320. That was enough money for me too, I felt great. Time-consuming, but I was happy. $100 for the brake job, and $50 for the solenoid. It's all cool! LoL, more insurance money for a couple months until I can find real work...

Mike's89AccordLX
05-24-2003, 07:26 PM
Well my g/f's sister's boyfriend offered to pay me $300 for fixing his driverside window motor. But I declined b/c I don't want to rip people off. Ok this was the story, he took it to a dealership and they quoted him the $300 for it and I fixed it in 10 minutes and found out it was just a loose connection in the switch box on the door. I wouldn't have felt right screwing him over like that dealer ship would have.

IWLSF
05-24-2003, 07:29 PM
LoL, you just name your own price man. Do the work, determine how much you think you deemed yourself, and ask for it. Now dont go overboard, but dont do it all for free. You're HELPING these people out, you're not required to do it. If they dont want your help, just remind them: hey, you cant get it done cheaper anywhere, I'm not spending my whole damn day working on your car for peanuts, so either pay me what I ask, and still save a few hundred bones, or go to a shop. It's no sweat off my back.

Now, put that in your own words...and go practice it lol.

Mike's89AccordLX
05-24-2003, 07:34 PM
Yeah but I figured that my parents have done so much for me but I think I will charge my dad when he wants me to install his front rotors and calipers and pads. How much do you think that job would be?

pimp86LX
05-24-2003, 07:42 PM
shop rates around here can go up to $65/hour CAN

:)

IWLSF
05-24-2003, 07:44 PM
Changing his calipers? Why? If it's just routine maintenance, just rotors/pads, and it's based on how much time it takes you. I can change a single rotor/pad on one side in probably 45 minutes, assuming I have a C-clamp, and the caliper bolts arent torx and rusted on...

IWLSF
05-24-2003, 07:47 PM
Btw, that's from jacking the car up, to lowering it back down. Not like already disassembled. Most people around here, friend-wise, when they go to a Midas or something, for 4 rotors and pads, prices range from $400 to $800.

Rotors would run probably $30 a piece, pads here are $15 a pair (cheapies, but lifetime warranty!). Figure $120 for 4-wheel disc, $30 for pads, runs $150. Average $600 at a shop, so I'd charge...probably $150. Person still saves $300, or 50%. Quite a deal really...

Mike's89AccordLX
05-24-2003, 07:53 PM
Well I did my front rotors and pads in like an hour but I had a portable hoist and that helped a lot b/c it was at sitting level in a chair so I was comfortable. :)

IWLSF
05-24-2003, 07:55 PM
Bleh, showoff.

JK..

Jims 86LXI HB
05-25-2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by pimp86LX

2.5" all the way back, with gutted CAT and cherry bomb!

SHWING! It sounds soooo damn sweet i don't want to let it go. :( that is until i get duals on that buick :D

-Peace

I hope your planning on some serious mods to support that pipe diameter. Header, intake, Weber, ported heads, healthy cam ect. 2.5" isn't a good idea on a 2 liter motor that is not tuned to need that much flow. 2.25" is the proper choice unless you plan on all the above mod's. Even then, 2.5" is debateable. Exhaust gas volocity. Not to rain on your parade, it just wasn't the size to go with that's all.

pimp86LX
05-25-2003, 09:50 AM
ohya, im gunna pump out 450+hp with my badass 2.0L engine.

:P

it doesn't matter, not to me anyway

Justin86
05-25-2003, 01:36 PM
450hp out of an A20 is really pushing it. Engine swap?

pimp86LX
05-25-2003, 01:40 PM
i was just jokin around :D

yes 2.5 is too big, but its not that important, its just a beater car

IWLSF
05-25-2003, 02:18 PM
Yeah man, that was like DRIPPING with sarcasm lol. Some people...wish I could go out and buy sense of humors and give them to some people. Jk jk...