PDA

View Full Version : are strut bars worth it and what are they?

Tref_LXI
05-24-2003, 06:57 PM
Hey guys do strut bars help my car any, and what do they do?

Mike's89AccordLX
05-24-2003, 07:02 PM
Yes they help the handling of the car. It stiffens the front end up.

IWLSF
05-24-2003, 07:17 PM
Strut Bars: To reduce flex that the two strut towers experience during hard cornering. When taking a turn, a car's strut towers normally flex, resulting in bodyflex and losing some traction. As strut tower bars are designed to keep your strut towers from flexing, they distribute the pressure applied to one strut tower when taking a turn to both towers instead of just one. This keeps the wheels in position. Keeping the wheels in position helps keep the tires in the desired position on the road, and this will help to improve traction on the turns.

If you have a wider wheel/tire combination, and/or have upgraded the suspension, I'd highly recommend it. Those modifications provide extra stress on the chassis flex, and your cornering will produce more body roll and wont be as responsive. You may regret that lack of responsiveness in the future if you get caught in an accident.

If you dont have suspension modifications, and dont take corners at 40 mph (you shouldnt anyway), then save the money and invest it elsewhere. Not unless you plan on racing people ala Initial D style.

goldyaccord
05-24-2003, 07:34 PM
40? in what kind of corner?

I used to go 85-90 in a 40 speed turn. Of course, I had my suspension except for sway bars.

Mike's89AccordLX
05-24-2003, 07:39 PM
Man I got 40mph in a 25mph curve with my stock suspension and all I have is a custom rear strut bar from 88turboaccord (he rocks!!!!!!!!!!!)

IWLSF
05-24-2003, 07:42 PM
LoL, why? No sense in wasting rubber or accidently hitting a bump and losing control for no reason. Not to mention the added stress on alignment, and the car as a whole. I meant 40 mph in a stoplight turn (90 degrees, you know the type, where the tires squeal).

Mike's89AccordLX
05-24-2003, 08:06 PM
Well I don't think I could do 40 doing a 90 degree turn. If I'd attempt it I would throw on some 17's and then hope to god no one is on the other lane when I do this stupid act. Well I do remember one time I did a probably a 95 to 100 degree turn going about 45mph and damn were those tires squealing. That was the only time I have ever "drifted" or ass dragging. I mean I was going sideways and not letting off the gas. I guess that was a dumb 16 year old thing to do. Wow I'm glad I learned never to do that again. I'm 19 and I have almost died 3 times in my 3G. I've had it 3 years also. That's weird.....

IWLSF
05-24-2003, 08:14 PM
LoL, some people are funny. I never do anything outrageous, and if anything, I'll do UNDER the speed limit not over. I'm only 19 as well, and this 3g has been in my name for 2 years this month. I've never had a wreck, or even been close (that was my fault). The thing I love are kids that drive fast and floor it between every stop light like they're racers. Any car can go fast, even a Pinto, but it takes more skill to drive slow and resist the temptation with a car that's modified for speed, rather than floor it everywhere.

Just last night, I was driving and a group of like 20 ricers surround my ass around midnight. I'm just chilling in the center lane, going to speed limit, but they all slow down and stare at me. 2 cavaliers in front start revving, and I just kept going. Dumb shits, I cant wait to drop gear and let them smell rubber someday. But I realize I dont have a fast car by any standards (but other 3geez's), so I didnt do anything. Sure enough, a couple miles ahead, we passed 3 cops. If I hadnt held back, I woulda been in jail for sure, with a big fine.

Mike's89AccordLX
05-24-2003, 08:22 PM
Man when I first got the car I didn't like it. I thought it was a boxy POS. Well I guess you can say it grew on me. It took all I threw at it and I have an undying respect for the car. I have never wrecked it but I think it was in a wreck before I bought it. It's has weld lines on the doors about half way up the window, and some welding in the engine too. So it was probably rolled or flipped. But now the baby is safe. I know what you mean. It really does take a lot to not race. I don't race just anyone. I won't race someone that will just slaughter me or someone that will be totally slaughtered by me.

Jims 86LXI HB
05-25-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by IWLSF
Strut Bars: To reduce flex that the two strut towers experience during hard cornering. When taking a turn, a car's strut towers normally flex, resulting in bodyflex and losing some traction. As strut tower bars are designed to keep your strut towers from flexing, they distribute the pressure applied to one strut tower when taking a turn to both towers instead of just one. This keeps the wheels in position. Keeping the wheels in position helps keep the tires in the desired position on the road, and this will help to improve traction on the turns.

If you have a wider wheel/tire combination, and/or have upgraded the suspension, I'd highly recommend it. Those modifications provide extra stress on the chassis flex, and your cornering will produce more body roll and wont be as responsive. You may regret that lack of responsiveness in the future if you get caught in an accident.

Good answer, but add one critical element that factor's in and makes the benefits to the average person a MUCH lower threshold. Older car's like ours were not designed like newer one's in terms of torsonal rigidity. Their's allot of flexability in a 3g overall. I recommend strut tower bars to anyone that has even a slight performance mind set. The newer a car gets. the less likely I'd make that recommendation.

But in no terms are tower bars the end all, they are no sub for all the other proper suspension mods. They mearly help out what you already have, they make things better.

MattsAccord
05-25-2003, 09:39 AM
I was wondering is there any strut bars for a carbed 3gee or has anyone made one that actully works.

johndej
05-25-2003, 09:40 AM
i'm thinking of getting some of them if they are so great. anyone know where i could get some or who makes them for our cars? i'm thinking of dooing a few auto crosses this summer and any little thing like that sounds like it'd help alot.

Tref_LXI
05-25-2003, 09:50 AM
ok what company makes them for our cars that dont suck?

IWLSF
05-25-2003, 10:16 AM
I know DC Sports makes one, and I think some people around here have modified other cars' struts to fit on ours, but I dont know for sure. Wait to see if anyone replies...

AccordEpicenter
05-25-2003, 10:23 AM
ive taken 25 mph thruway exits at 50, on a stock lxi... after that at about 55 or so the tires just break away.

1988starter
05-25-2003, 06:43 PM
here is an image of my 92 civic stut bar. http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/304000-304999/304085_8_full.jpg

Mike89Accordcom
05-26-2003, 01:08 AM
They are very worth it. I only have a front top strut bar, but it's night and day when you have when, then when you dont.

AccordEpicenter
05-26-2003, 09:51 AM
I need to get one...

crwa
05-26-2003, 02:31 PM
There worth it, they really do make a difference...

1987HondaAccord
05-29-2003, 04:59 PM
so the 92 civic fits our cars?

89AccordLvr
05-29-2003, 05:07 PM
hey 88starter did you need to modify anythin to make ur 92 civic strut bar fit and does any 92 front strut bar fit

1988starter
05-29-2003, 05:21 PM
yes but I got one with the ajustiable sides and I aslo used thinner bolts on the flange to bar connection along with a couple redrilled holes