PDA

View Full Version : Gas gauge going nuts

Dizzo7693
05-25-2003, 05:57 AM
My gas gauge is incorrect. Sometimes it will be at half and like 3 minutes of driving you will see it decrease to E. But then it will shoot back up. I believe that the gas leveler is going bad. I believe that it is located to the left of the fuel pump.

My question goes towards removal of this leveler. Leveler does not have any Nuts or bolts on it. How does it come out?

And also if I am talking about the right thing.

Ps Had the same problem before but I changed out the whole gauge cluster. But still tends to do the same thing. I'm Lost:wtf:

beez89se-i
05-25-2003, 09:36 AM
its your fuel sensor dont know how to take out but get the haynes manual it should help you with it

88LXi/87CRXSi
05-25-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Dizzo7693
My question goes towards removal of this leveler. Leveler does not have any Nuts or bolts on it. How does it come out?

And also if I am talking about the right thing.

Sounds like you're talking about the right thing, but whether it's to the right or left would depend on if you're looking from the passenger compartment or the trunk.:huh: Never looked at mine, but, looking at the pic, it appears it screws out, with it's own special wrench! I'd probably tap it out carefully?:confused:
As far as the needle dropping to 'E' , since the sender is just a resister between gauge and ground, it could be a bad connection in the wiring where the gauge loses it's ground and goes to empty? Or the sender? Try gently moving the wires where you can acccess them, maybe first. Or at least till you get a better reply here, before you remove the sender unit. LOL looks like you just did before I posted.

Dizzo7693
05-25-2003, 04:27 PM
Thanks 88LXi/87CRXSi. That helped me out alot.:super:

88LXi/87CRXSi
05-25-2003, 04:58 PM
:super: :smokin: Glad to help!

johnwc723
05-26-2003, 07:28 PM
you might want to check the wires to see if all the electrical connections are okay before you mess with that, i know from experience that that can do it