PDA

View Full Version : JDM B20A Swap!!!

Mike's89AccordLX
05-25-2003, 07:20 PM
Alright I'm planning on this swap now. I want to keep the motor FI so I won't have to spend $800 in carbs and $1000 for a manifold. So I could use some of that money to get the car from carbed to efi. (efi conversion) I don't know if I want to turbo the motor or not yet. And don't flame me b/c I don't have the motor yet. I will get this motor, mark my words. I'm planning for this now so I can be prepared. I will end up rebuilding it and P&P head and block and getting pistons before I put it on. I will also try and get a lightend flywheel and a Performance clutch with a high pressure plate. I was told I can use the same axle that I have already. The JDM b20a motor
5spd or auto tranny
intermediate shaft
distributor
alternator
some of them have the rare JDM stock Vacume box and airbox. Should cost me about $1200 shipped. I read for 8 hours last night about b20 swaps so I kinda have an idea. I will probably start getting the parts for the efi conversion. (I know this guy that has a personal junkyard for his shop and it has like 86 or 87 lxi there. Oh will I need 88-89 lxi parts? I know I need to get them from a sedan b/c that's what I have. And I have a LX so I have all that stuff in the dash also. I know Yasu is converting everything over to USDM parts. I don't plan on doing that, will I be ok with just keeping everything the way it is (JDM). What do you guys think?
:smokin:

Mike's89AccordLX
05-25-2003, 07:33 PM
Well I guess I just answered my own question. I found out that I need to get all the parts from an 89 lxi or sei sedan.

Mike's89AccordLX
05-25-2003, 08:53 PM
Ok here's a list I got here for the conversion.

1.ECU
2.Engine bay wire harness
3.Fuel pump and maybe lines
4.FI gas tank.

Now in the how to there is a lot more parts but I think those would already be on this engine. It's a complete JDM b20a so it comes with the stuff I listed before this post and I'm assuming it comes with the atmospheric pressure sensor, coolant splitter,erg pipe, fuel filter, injector resistor box, intake manifold, vacuum control box, main relay, metal coolant pipe, thermostat assembly, and throttle cable. Let me know if I will need more parts for this conversion than those 4 things. Or if I don't need one of those things please let me know.

Mike's89AccordLX
05-25-2003, 09:12 PM
Ok for parts for a b20a where would I look online (headers, plugs, plug wires, intakes, clutch, flywheel, you know that kind of stuff.) When I do this swap it will be huge, I'm going to get the head and block P&Ped. Get some pistons, cam gears, cam shafts, before I even put it in the car. This is why I expect to be about a year before I put it in b/c I want this thing to be rebuilt and built up before it's even in the car. I will then get headers, and the essential goodies for it after it's in.

AccordSi
05-25-2003, 09:48 PM
Well Mike you certainly have a lot of plans. The thing is you'll be extrememly lucky to get a JDM B20A completet with harness and ECU. If you do fine, if not you got to do a lot of mixing and matching (read the how to's).
When it comes to modifying well again it's a lot of mixing and matching. I've been building up for over a year now and I can finally say I'm almost done modding. I just got two more things to slap on the engine and I can settle down to enjoy my car. I set out to have 200hp at the flywheel (high 14's ET) and I really do believe I am very close....I got to dyno prove it when I'm done....but right now I just judge power off of car lengths...and don't worry to much about power, the B20A packs a pretty decent punch. I have road raced with a 91 Toyota Cressida loaded with an RB25DET....and surprised both him and myself.....I couldn't beat him down low but up in the top end, he could not leave me.....with my mods I have got great top end power from 3rd gear up. And I got a highly tuned carbed NA build up.......so you can imagine what EFI or even full turbo B20A will do.
Best of luck...you'll get everything you need.

PM me with questions about mods in detail.

A20A1
05-25-2003, 10:25 PM
I think even though this is a project... it still sould go in the motor swap forum...

Mike's89AccordLX
05-25-2003, 11:13 PM
Well you can change it if you want. I just figured since it was a project the misc. things I'm going to be doing to it. And it sucks I won't have my A20A1 when I get the swap done. But I'm sure some guy will want a really good motor and that would be perfect. Got all the mods done to it already. A newbie dream ;) engine. If I can't sell it as a whole I will part it out and make a lot for all the good parts.

YK86
05-25-2003, 11:18 PM
Sticking with the JDM parts is totally fine. I just did it for the hell of it. I already had a new JDM water pump and timing belt but I thought it might be a good time to just see if USDM stuff would work. When you get the motor, don't expect the ecu, injector resistors, fuel filter, etc to be coming with it. If you are lucky, it'll come with the black box, uncut wiring harness, A/C compressor, and sensors in good working order.

If you plan on using a 3rd gen Lude ecu, I would probably lean towards getting the efi parts off of a 88/89 LXI/SEI since they are a bit more simular.

There is a great place locally that does custom flywheel lightning. Shipping might be a problem though since a flywheel is quite heavy. But they shaved 8lbs off a buddie's h23 flywheel for $80 cash.

Mike's89AccordLX
05-25-2003, 11:32 PM
So I wouldn't use the 89 lxi ecu? I thought I had to but I see why the lude one though. (b20 motors and what not). Whoa I totally forgot that a fricken flywheel comes with the transmission (great now I feel dumb after researching for all that time). Yeah I think there's a place around here that will lighten a flywheel too. I think I will try and get the cams through Colt to just try them out too. I don't quite know what all those parts are that I need b/c I'm a noob in the FI department :)

YK86
05-25-2003, 11:55 PM
If you use the A20 ECU, you'll need to grab a Teg distributor with vaccum advance and crank angle sensor. But you won't get the full 160HP with this set up. I think someone said it was more like 130HP.

Mike's89AccordLX
05-26-2003, 12:00 AM
Well I guess that settles it. Lude ECU then. So just get a 89 lude si ecu or is it a different year or model? don't have any junked ludes here anymore so I might try and find one online (www.junkyarddog.com)

IWLSF
05-26-2003, 12:02 AM
You dont need the engine wire harness (unless the motor doesnt come with one). For the conversion you need the cabin wire harness. And you WILL need the fuel line, it's not a maybe. It's the tank that you could possibly get around and modify. EFI has a 3rd return line that runs from the fuel rail to release excess pressure in the line, that's why it's needed for an EFI conversion. Injector resistor boxes arent hard to get your hands on, and you could even make them yourself if you're crafty. Yeah, and dont expect the filter.

Mike's89AccordLX
05-26-2003, 12:05 AM
Man I want as many JDM parts as possible b/c I think I will get a license plate that says JDM B20 that would be pretty sweet.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
05-26-2003, 12:08 AM
B20 Mania jezzz! Do you guys worry about emission in ur area? or are your law diffrent? Here in nYc swapped cars wont pass emission..

Mike's89AccordLX
05-26-2003, 12:11 AM
Dude if I had emissions I wouldn't pass with my A20A1 :D That's why I love MN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!