PDA

View Full Version : Front End Replacment...need confirmation.

pimp86LX
05-25-2003, 08:19 PM
Hey everyone. The 3g has a bad cv-shaft and upper ball joint so my folks said to give them an idea about replacing all components that would usually wear out by now (198000km)..

I have a good idea but need confirmation. b.t.w. I've searched through the site and the service manual. again just need some confirmation on what commonly wears. (any bushings etc..)

Im going to replace:

cv-shafts (auto have different lengths?)
upper and lower ball joints.
tie rod ends.

now my problem is this. this can only be done by myself. I have all the how-to's for front end suspention but lack ANY experience with suspention. I know its gunna be no picnic but how much work am i in for?

Any advice & suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

-Paul

Mike's89AccordLX
05-25-2003, 08:23 PM
Do you have air tools available? It will be a bit*h if the bolts are rusted (lower control arm bolt and nut) It's really easy though. I did both my cv shafts with a friend and it went really good and fast. If you have a hoist that would rock but jack stands would work too.

pimp86LX
05-25-2003, 08:25 PM
Got full use of air tools and a hoist :D:D

Mike's89AccordLX
05-25-2003, 08:27 PM
That's the way to go!!! Ok if you want I can walk you through it from what I did.

pimp86LX
05-25-2003, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Mike's89AccordLX
That's the way to go!!! Ok if you want I can walk you through it from what I did.

Please!!

Mike's89AccordLX
05-25-2003, 08:40 PM
Get it on the hoist. Take the wheel off. Unscrew those two screws on the rotor and some bolts for the caliper. After you have the rotor off you will need a big ass socket for the CV shaft nut. (gotta take a screw driver and take the crimp out of the nut, you'll see what I mean when you're doing it) Then you unscrew the bolt and nut on the lower control arm (bottom of the wishbone thing) Then you pop the cv shaft out of the car (get underneath and take a long flat head screw driver to pop it out) and then pull it out and put the new one in (being careful not to mess with the joints) And do the opposite of what you did. It really is very simple. Note: you do this for both sides :)

pimp86LX
05-25-2003, 08:42 PM
sweet, thanks man

Mike's89AccordLX
05-25-2003, 08:45 PM
I know it wasn't specifics but it's an overview to what you do. I didn't mention ever little nut you take off b/c I figured you would know to just take it off. Now you take the brake line off the caliper though. Just to let you know.

pimp86LX
05-25-2003, 08:48 PM
cv-shaft nut? aka hub nut?