PDA

View Full Version : Warming up before driving in winter...

Oz87Si
05-25-2003, 11:39 PM
We're coming into winter here, and I know its better for the car to let it warm up before driving it when the engines cold. When its a cold day for you blokes, how long do u let ur accord idle for? I usually do about 2 minutes, but I'm not really sure as to the best amount of time for it to get a bit warmer.

Cheers lads.

IWLSF
05-25-2003, 11:50 PM
It's best to warm it up anytime, not just cold season. The block is cold period, and needs to be warmed. I think most cars would vary depending on their condition. Here's a test for ya. When the car just starts up, turn the heater on probably level 2. Stay in the car and pay attention when it starts becoming warm. That'll be how long you need to let the car idle for before the motor gets warm. The coolant passes through the heater core, and the air runs over the core, drawing the heat out of the coolant. The coolant of course circulates like blood through the motor, so when it gets warm, it's obtaining heat from the motor meaning the motor is warm. Without heat in the coolant, the heater wont be warm, it'll blow out cold air. I'd say on average 3-5 minutes, assuming the Fast Idle is kicking in.

pimp86LX
05-26-2003, 12:08 AM
AHHH winter!!

Glad we just got over THAT mess

~phew!

95AccordEXR
05-26-2003, 04:40 PM
I start her up and then dig out the car. By the time I'm finished she's all nice and toasty inside.

wthramann
05-26-2003, 04:54 PM
I will give an opposite opinion. It is not necessary to let the car idle at all. Use 5W30 oil. Drive gently eg. shift at 2-2.5K rpm until temperature gauge at normal operating temperature. I am told it is a waste of gasoline to let it idle for more than 1 minute.

shepherd79
05-26-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by wthramann
I will give an opposite opinion. It is not necessary to let the car idle at all. Use 5W30 oil. Drive gently eg. shift at 2-2.5K rpm until temperature gauge at normal operating temperature. I am told it is a waste of gasoline to let it idle for more than 1 minute.

Don't use 5w-30 oil. it is too thin for our engines. The manual says to use 10w-30/ 10w-40 oil. It doesn't recoment any thinner.
In real cold weather, I let my car warm up to normal temperature. In the summer, I let it run for about 2 minutes.
My engine has 289K miles on it, and it still going strong.

AccordEpicenter
05-26-2003, 08:38 PM
It depends on the temp, if its 0'F, i let it warm up for like at least 5-10 minutes, and when its around that or below, the ps pumps tend to make a sick whining noise... As for 28' F and above i wait like 2 min...

iamvandemon
05-26-2003, 08:50 PM
ive been told that driving it without going nuts untill the enjin warms up is better then letting it idle, cause it takes less time for it to warm up, and somthing abou the way it idles... well its just what i heard ;-)

pimp86LX
05-26-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by iamvandemon
ive been told that driving it without going nuts untill the enjin warms up is better then letting it idle, cause it takes less time for it to warm up, and somthing abou the way it idles... well its just what i heard ;-)

thats just what those hippie environmentalists keep sayin' ;)

they only say that because EFI systems can compensate for the a/f mixture pretty easily when cold. your still running a cold block and IMO thats just stupid. its just asking for something to break or warp.

carotman
05-26-2003, 09:21 PM
Beleive me 5w30 isn't too thin for the winter up ther in Canada :)

It can go as low as minus 40 :) You're glad to have 5W30 in your engine at that time :)

Jareds 89 LX-i
05-26-2003, 10:07 PM
I ALWAYS let it warm up for at least a minute or two before driving. I just don't feel right driving on an ice cold block, especially when it's real cold and the oil hasn't fully circulated yet. Up in IL during the winter I'd let it idle 5-10 minutes, usually while I scraped my windows. About to turn 318k miles, original motor, and it's still running like brand new with no problems.

5w-30 is perfectly fine for our motors. It even says in the owners manual on page 77:

5W-30 viscosity oil is recommended for improved fual economy
And in the chart with the bars, the 5w-30 bar says "preferred" for all temperatured from -20F - 100F. 10w-30 is for ~18F and up. Down here with the hot climate, I just use 10w-30 all the time. Up in IL though I'd use 5w-30 in the winter, and 10w-30 in the summer.

IWLSF
05-27-2003, 12:16 AM
I use 5W-30 in all of my vehicles because every manufacturer in the world produces all motors running on 5W-30. All prototype/concept/dyno mules use that lubricant from the factory, and it's also best not to switch out viscosities all the time. Letting it idle for more than a minute sucks up gas? Go out with a new tank of gas, idle the car for an hour. Go to a gas station right after and look. Idle doesnt consume crap as far as gas. Now if it's the winter time, and fast idle is kicked in, and the car is continuously 3k, then YEAH, it'll suck gas, you have to monitor it. I too hate to drive with a cold block regardless. I know I'm smart enough to not be a kid, but I still dont like the risk.

pimp86LX
05-27-2003, 12:55 AM
I think the whole point of idling being bad is because the engine produces way more emmisions when at idle. Under load the A20 is just sweet. My emissions test was soo low it was incredible for such an old engine!

88' Accord Ltd
05-27-2003, 04:50 AM
I let mine warm up at LEAST until the needle for the temp starts to rise up a bit. When you start to drive it'll rise to normal operating temps in no time at all.