PDA

View Full Version : flip headlights?

NewAKI
06-05-2002, 07:36 AM
well my passenger side head light wont go down or up, i turn the thingy for the head light and it went down and up but wont do it when i switch the headlights on..... i think the motor is dead......

ne ideas?

HostileJava
06-05-2002, 07:42 AM
If it goes up when you use the switch but not when you turn the headlights on it's not the motor. There is more then likely a loose wire somewhere or the switch isn't working properly.

offthahook
06-05-2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by HostileJava
If it goes up when you use the switch but not when you turn the headlights on it's not the motor. There is more then likely a loose wire somewhere or the switch isn't working properly.

I think the dash cluster switch utilizes the motor as the turn signal/combo. switch does. I agree that the motor would not be the cause. I hope it's not the combination switch... I doubt it is if one headlight is functioning fine while one is not. HTH.

CoAsTeR
06-05-2002, 04:10 PM
swap your retractor relays and see if the other side works. If it does, then just replace the relay. if it still doesn't work it'll be the headlight retractor control unit....... odds are its the relay... if you want a wiring diagram just say so and I'll post it.

Also check fuse #6 & #7 under the dash as well as #11 & #14 just to be thorough.

smufguy
06-12-2002, 07:27 PM
check the crush bushings. without the headlights in ON position, the motor gets more power. that why they ask u to use the headlight flip up switch near your dimmer and read-defogger unit. Try that, see if it would go up or down. if it works, the motor is fine. it might be a shot in your clip. remove it and blow dry it or just have it open in the sun. also, check the bushings and spray some lubricant on it and see if they do anything.

RustyHo88
06-26-2003, 12:04 PM
ok ok, on my accord, the lights go up fine, but wont retract. i looked at the switch to leave the lights up, it seems to be fine, i even tried disconnecting the switch and then trying to turn the lights off. they of course, still will not retract. the only other thing i can think of is the relay. but, where is the retractor relay located? sorry for my ignorance.

-will

HostileJava
06-26-2003, 12:29 PM
The lights will not retract if the switch is not working or not connected.

MrBen
06-26-2003, 12:33 PM
Also won't retract if something is in the path of the light causing the motor to freeze and not retract. When you try retracting it, listen closely to the light motor-- if you hear a click sound, then something is causing the light to stay up.

wthramann
06-26-2003, 01:08 PM
Gee, I interpreted the "thingy" to be the black cylinder near the headlight for manually raising and lowering the light not the interior switch. Please clarify. If I have read your question correctly, I would start by checking the fuse because you should not normally be able to turn the "thingy" with the electrical circuit complete.

RustyHo88
06-26-2003, 03:40 PM
there is nothing in the way of the light retracting, and the motor does not make an electrical hum. i tested the switches earlier today (found the downloadable manual pics), they are all fine. however, i cant find the retractor light relay, or any of the other relays associated with the lights retracting. if anyone know where they are let me know. i even tried retracting the lights manually and pulling the fuse, but the lights stayed down. im not sure what that means, oh well. thanks

-will

jlaccord89lxi
06-26-2003, 03:58 PM
make sure everything is properly grounded. Most of the time when i have an electrical problem on my car, it is usually caused by a bad ground.

charlesb2003
08-19-2003, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by RustyHo88
ok ok, on my accord, the lights go up fine, but wont retract. i looked at the switch to leave the lights up, it seems to be fine, i even tried disconnecting the switch and then trying to turn the lights off. they of course, still will not retract. the only other thing i can think of is the relay. but, where is the retractor relay located? sorry for my ignorance.

-will

i'm having the same problem!!!! i've noticed that it only does it when the interior's cold tho, like at night after driving with the a/c on... it's not anything physically blocking the lights and the motors are fine. i don't believe it's the switches either, and it works fine when the interior's warm. when they stay up, i just open the windows and let some hot air in and in a minute or so they go down. i really think it's a bad relay somewhere... but WHERE THE HELL ARE THE RELAYS!?? will someone please enlighten me?

smufguy
08-19-2003, 07:46 PM
1. stand on the front of the car with the hood popped up.

2. STick ur hand to the left of the radiator/condensor part and u will find two relays covered in some kinda rubber sheith.

3. These relays go bad (it went bad on my car) and would pop the lights up but wont let them go down. so swap em out with the ones from the junk and they should be alright or get em from a local honda retailer or dealer.

RustyHo88
08-19-2003, 08:18 PM
well, i was able to finally fix my retractor lights when i pulled EVERYTHING out that had to do with the retrator motor circuit. i pulled out the main control unit, the relays, the combo switch, and the instrument cluster, and i tested each individually, they all worked fine, except the instrument cluster switch. so i swapped that from my parts car, and now it works fine. the problem your describing could be that. the switch might be reacting to the temp of your interior. if it were a relay, chances are only one of your lights wouldnt work, because the chances that both your relays die at the same time is slim. so, check your combo switch, and the main control unit. hope this helps.

modu03
12-30-2003, 11:52 PM
hey... both my headlights won't go up or down... I've checked the engines by connecting to a power source, they will go up and down just fine... I have also checked the relays, and the in dash switch... any suggestions??

MrBen
12-31-2003, 12:31 AM
Faulty combo switch (the lever on the steering column that you turn the lights on with). If you're feeling handy, dismantle everything and clean the contacts (there is sort of a how-to about this if you search the board). Otherwise a new one is upwards of 300 dollars.

This is your problem most likely.

RustyHo88
12-31-2003, 02:11 PM
hey... both my headlights won't go up or down... I've checked the engines by connecting to a power source, they will go up and down just fine... I have also checked the relays, and the in dash switch... any suggestions??

check the main retrator unit under the dash. when you say you "checked" those other things... did you test them usuing the instructions in the accord manual? if not, then download pauls manual.
http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html
So, the things to test are:
1. Retractor Motors (engine comp)
2. Retractor Relay's (engine comp)
3. Main Control Unit (driv. Panel)
4. Retractor Switch (right of steering wheel)
5. Combo Switch (left of steering wheel)

If you test all these using the instructions in the manual, and they are all in working condition, then check all your connections. Make sure all contact points and grounds are clean. if that doesnt work, its time to start pulling wire to see if somethings shorted or grounded... or make your own switch.

Oh yea... check your fuses too :D