PDA

View Full Version : Please help:Battery dies after a few hours, need suggestions

A2B Accord
05-26-2003, 05:33 PM
I just bought this battery less than a week ago (autozone bat.) and it either won't hold the charge or something is draining the charge. I just bought the car 2 weeks ago and have been through 2 batteries including this one. It cranks once i jump it off but won't crank after letting it sit a few hours. Is there anything else it could be other than a sh*tty autozone battery or a bad alternator.

shepherd79
05-26-2003, 05:40 PM
well, lets start with what you have on your car, alarm? stereo?
if one of them is not wired right it could drain the battery.
the other thing is you alternator is not charging the battery.
you can go to autozone and they will check it for free.

A2B Accord
05-26-2003, 07:53 PM
Its got a cd player but nothing thats on when the car is off. I'm trying to eliminate any other possibilities b 4 i buy an alternator just in case it is bad.

iamvandemon
05-26-2003, 09:10 PM
it soulds more like bad wiring than the bat or alt.. good luck bro.

cruznz
05-26-2003, 11:39 PM
does the battery light come on?...anytime?

Jareds 89 LX-i
05-27-2003, 12:03 AM
Here's what to do to check if it's your alternator. Get the car started, then disconnect one (or both) of the battery cables from the battery. If it dies, then your alternator is toast. If it keeps running, then your alternator is still good.

I'm assuming you've checked the obvious stuff already like belt tension, right?

IWLSF
05-27-2003, 12:07 AM
Just head on up to Autozone, Pepboys, Oreillys, whatever. Free alternator checks. I could sit here and tell you all the stuff everyone else is, but it's sooo much simplier to say this.

ACCORD EX
05-27-2003, 06:15 AM
measure batter output @ idle ! of less thatn 14.5 V replace ALT !

MIKE

rideredorgohome
05-27-2003, 06:46 AM
Did this happen before you replaced the old battery? If this was the problem before then it is something other than the battery (ie poor alternator). If this is a problem that occured after you replaced your battery, it is most likely a problem with the battery you received and the manufacturer will cover it under warranty. BTW I do not believe in buying the batteries you find with the auto parts store's name on them. I only use AC Delco and Interstate Batteries. I currently have an AC Delco. My Uncle is a Tow Truck driver and he told me that between those two brands, he hardly EVER has to boost either one. He sees the others all the time!! JMO