PDA

View Full Version : Sputters wtf?

Scotts88WhiteLX-i
05-26-2003, 06:06 PM
ok when i accerlerate in my car or even start out my car back fires a lil bit, and stutters real bad when i barly step on the gas....... but when it is park an sitting the it runs fine.. i did a quick check for exhaust leaks an there werent' any? Whats wrong??????:wtf:

IWLSF
05-27-2003, 12:24 AM
Check to make sure the ignition timing is correct. Right off the bat, I'm thinking spark or fuel. When was the last time general maintenance was performed on that vehicle? The fuel filters would probably be the cheapest update right now, they run $10 or so, and need to be replaced every 60k.

Because of the backfiring/misfiring, I'm not thinking fuel. The sputtering/stuttering sounds like it, but not the backfiring. Check to see how old the spark plugs/wires are. Even remove a couple of the spark plugs and check their condition. It hopefully is just general maintenance time and not something more serious. Reply back and tell me what know/found out.

Scotts88WhiteLX-i
05-27-2003, 11:36 AM
the timing an everything is ok..... I talked to my dad who is a mechanic an he said it was probably the fuel filiter or the spark plug wires/ spark plugs. So i took out all the spark plugs an they are fine put them back in an it runs way better... hardly stutters anymore...... so monday im gonna get a tune up an change the disterbuter cap spark plugs an wires along with the fuel filiter...... THANKS IWLSF

3rd GEN
05-27-2003, 12:23 PM
could also be fuel pump

IWLSF
05-27-2003, 09:46 PM
NP man, good luck! FYI, I'm a mechanic too lol.

ryansaccord
05-28-2003, 06:34 PM
now that i just read this thread, i think about my stuttering problem and it sounds like my fuel filter. It only stutters sometimes, and around higher rpms. Thats probably a fuel filter huh? I hope so.

IWLSF
05-28-2003, 07:06 PM
To me, I'd say fuel filters first of all because it's the most simple repair, and should be replaced anyway. Next check the fuel pump, and last, the ignition coil. Around the higher rpms, the coil could be losing power. There's an adjustable tester you can use on it to test the length of the spark at crank. A good coil should be able to spark over the distance of about an inch.

MrBen
05-28-2003, 07:09 PM
Make sure you check both. Honda is noctorious for not replacing the one in the back.

ryansaccord
05-28-2003, 09:13 PM
well i just replaced my fuel filter, and its not cutting out anymore at high rpms, but i think my fuel pump is going, because just driving around sometimes it doesnt want to go, it just sputters and shit. but then othertimes its just fine. I heard when it does that your fuel pump is going.

smufguy
05-30-2003, 06:37 AM
did u check ur vaccum lines, as in the one below ur air box with the filter in it? If its loose, ur car would sputter. hehehe, i got a pump if u wanna :D

Scotts88WhiteLX-i
06-08-2003, 05:58 PM
ok heres the update on the problem...... i replaced the disterbuter, spark plugs, an fuel filter an the problem stop for a day but then it started stuttering again. whats going on?

ryansaccord
06-08-2003, 06:54 PM
well, i ended up fixing mine by just switching my o2 sensor plugs, i guess i had them backwards, and it was running way rich or something, but i switched them and it runs fine now, its really wierd
so it could be that?

Scotts88WhiteLX-i
06-08-2003, 08:01 PM
how u do that?

smufguy
06-08-2003, 08:06 PM
since u got a lx-i, u got a green and white connectors from ur O2 sensors. Does the check engine light come on?. Reset the ecu (disconnect the battery for like 5 minutes or so) and see if the problem goes away.

Scotts88WhiteLX-i
06-08-2003, 08:17 PM
no it doesn't come on.....heres the problem ok heres the update on the problem...... i replaced the disterbuter, spark plugs, an fuel filter an the problem stop for a day but then it started stuttering again. whats going on?

smufguy
06-08-2003, 08:30 PM
thats interesting issue on an efi. Sputtering usually is cause ur running too rich, so if ur running too rich, then ur O2 sensor is bad and its sending wrong signal. if that was the case, then the Check engine light comes on, but since u said it does not come on, stumbles me.

u think ur injectors are good? how is ur pump doing? Pull ur pump out and see if the filter on the very tip of the feed tube on the fuel pump is clogged.

Scotts88WhiteLX-i
06-09-2003, 11:54 AM
An if it is what do i do? Buy a new filter or could i unclog it somehow??

smufguy
06-09-2003, 04:58 PM
well if the filter bag on the feed tip of the fuel pump is clogged, the only one reason is cause ur fuel tank is rusting. Its a normal process and not to worry about it. So either u can give it to a shop and get the rust fixed, or get a new tank for around 160 or what not and put it in urself. IF ur fuel pump is going bad its the same case, a new pump. Like i said. before you do anything. Reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery or better yet, pull the ECU fuse for like 5 mintues and put it back in and see if the problem fixes itself.

accordlxi2.0
06-09-2003, 08:32 PM
well i'm kinda having the same problem too! when the car is in 3rd gear then i go into WOT it hit's 5k then goes to 4k it just bouces around that range. when i go into WOT in 1st it goes all the way to 6k with no problem. it stutter's though when you take off (half the time)and shudder's in 3rd gear around 2k-2.5k. what could this be?

accordlxi2.0
06-11-2003, 12:23 PM
can anyone help me???????????? i think it's getting worse.:sadwave: :eek: :( :crying: :confused:

smufguy
06-11-2003, 12:59 PM
dude, if u guys have a problem with a car with the efi, reset the damn ecu and see if the problem comes back and then work from there. Even if the tranny slips (auto) reset the ecu and most of the time it fixes itself.

Scotts88WhiteLX-i
06-11-2003, 01:15 PM
how do u do that?
pull the fuse that says ecu clock or what im not seein the fuse?
?:stupid:

POS carb
06-11-2003, 04:12 PM
accordlxi2.0:
fuel starvation. check your pump and filters. the injectors should be fine.

scott I suspect your pump may be going. Have a pressure test done on your fuel line and also maybe your injectors are dirty and causing this

smufguy
06-11-2003, 09:29 PM
it pays to friggin read. U got two fuse boxes and either one of them should have a fuse that says ECU on it. :rolleyes:

toastyghost
06-12-2003, 12:55 AM
i had bad stuttering for a little bit and plugs, fuel filter, fuel system cleaner, and some other shit i dont remember because i'm drunk... anyway little shit all made it gradually better until it eventualy only did it when it was in high gear running for a long time like coming home from DC. i personally think it was the carburetor but the car didn't live long enough to test the theory by rebuilding the carb.

Scotts88WhiteLX-i
06-13-2003, 12:18 PM
hey ok i switched the fuekl pump an now it doesn't stutter but when i step on the gas it backfires is it an exhaust leak??

smufguy
06-13-2003, 10:35 PM
check ur timing. IF the timing is improper, then ur car misfiers there by backfires. CHeck how much advanced or retarded ur timing is.

Scotts88WhiteLX-i
06-14-2003, 04:39 PM
i check the timing an it is fine at idele but when i acceralate it goes up to 20 an stays there a lil above the 1 1/2 rpms..... on the disributer the vacaum thing that has 2 hoses going to it well one of the hose isn't connect cause the thing broke off that the hose slides over to connect it on...... im not sure if that is it but it hasn't cause me any problem b4 cause its been like that for like 6 months......i have a bad idle due to it though.....so if its not the timing or distrubter or fuel pump or fuel filter im stumped? plz help i am beganing to hate my damn f'in car......

Scotts88WhiteLX-i
06-14-2003, 07:08 PM
oh yea! an what if i were to tell you it sopunds liek the backfieing is coming out of my intake filter on my cold air intake.... so i shorted it up an made it a short ram an it still comes out of the intake.:wtf: :sadwave: :burn: :mad: :confused: :(

Scotts88WhiteLX-i
06-14-2003, 09:15 PM
um i tested the timing again after some info about plugin up the vacum advance hoses an the timing doesn't show a number it saysd like a 1....

A20A1
06-14-2003, 10:08 PM
why are you looking at the #'s look at the fly wheel to set TDC...

and if it's not at TDC then turn the distributor till it is at TDC... just don't have the vacuum lines connected to the distributor when you're setting TDC.

rocky2
06-15-2003, 03:44 AM
Your next step is try changing the module on distributer,that silver thing, or entire distributer from boneyard. Theres chips in it,not potatoe either.

rocky2
06-15-2003, 03:52 AM
You know a injector gets a signal when to open and close. Its this chip that tells it to,check it out do a distributer changeout, just mark where rotor postion was when you removed it