PDA

View Full Version : d16z6 engine swap possible???

sl103
05-26-2003, 07:19 PM
wow just joined this site. that is so cool that they make a site for this car i didnt think anyone did this to this year honda
thats crazy anyways, i was going to sell my car and buy a mitsu 1g eclipse for a daily driver and then build my sick hp 300ZX(90-96) and was going to sell the honda. but now i know you can do engine swaps. anyways my friend down the street from me has a d16z6 engine i could get for near free. just wondering if its possible to do. all i need is a yes or no
ill figure out the rest if i get that answer

thank you, Shawn

bobafett
05-26-2003, 07:49 PM
simple answer = no

yes of course it could be done. but for the cost you could do a lot better things with your money. :)

carotman
05-26-2003, 09:17 PM
like spend it on beer

IWLSF
05-27-2003, 12:30 AM
Ditto lol. Waste of time/money as well. The thing damn nears makes the same power as the EFI models of this car.

sl103
05-27-2003, 11:37 AM
i think my engine just needs a few upgrades and i will be set its actually runs very well.(104k) ive maintained it very well, but here is what im thinking about you guys tell me what you think i dont want to go to crazy on an 88 honda accord because i will be making a 500hp Z. but anways checked out the FAQ :-).

so let me know what you think. i dont want to spend tooo much money but if i can squeeze hp on a budget would be nice. I know they are better applications out there but the big bucks go to the Z...
- accel spark plug wires (universal)
-accel performance coil (universal)
-ngk( v groove) I know NGK runs awesome in honda and nissans
-new exhaust system ( gut the cat) and a thermal stealth muffler (my friend will give me his dirt cheap).
- now you say they make headers but i was thinking about porting mine since i do that kind of business.(or a used set).
- the cam grind looks sweet. for the money ( ill have to get another A20A1 head ne1 have one for sale??? cheap
- the weber carb, which one can we use again?? and the airfilter adapter for that.
- 3 angled valve job, ported intake and exhaust side, and intake manifold,
- and maybe a bottle if im not satisfied with the upgrades.

i think that would do it besides some autozone qual stuff. it ought to be fun and maybe suprise a few of my friends. ;-)

thank you, Shawn
please hit me back with some info of what you guys think. and the qs about the weber and NOS(all the stuff in the faq was general) and NE1 near mid IL??

sl103
05-27-2003, 11:56 AM
also forgot a few things
rough hp from the cams
im guessing the spark plugs and wires and coil might be 5hp
weber when tuned up to 20hp?
headers 5-8hp
exhaust muffler thermal maybe 5hp
gutted cat maybe 5hp
porting 5-15 im guessing
bottle of course 25-75hp
whats the stock hp on the accord 88-89 a20a1 with at??

thanks again, shawn

AccordEpicenter
05-27-2003, 01:09 PM
yea i agree the d16 is gutless... the A20s make very close hp and hella tq

bobafett
05-27-2003, 01:38 PM
oops he said a honda engine made torque...
maybe you need to edit your post.:) jk lol

sl103
05-27-2003, 02:01 PM
actually i think it does have some tq. im suprised. i think im gonna autocross once its a little bit done. ;-). it will be a real good time . i love the way it handles. so any one have any answer or does it all sound good??

Jims 86LXI HB
05-27-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by sl103
actually i think it does have some tq. im suprised. i think im gonna autocross once its a little bit done. ;-). it will be a real good time . i love the way it handles. so any one have any answer or does it all sound good??

It may have a peak torque number that is teasing your eye's when you see that number on paper. But drive a car that acutally has the engine and the sense's in your butt will be screaming at you saying, "where's the torque". Point is, the D series power plants does not have a torque curve as fat as the A20 does. Drive both car's back to back and you'll under stand why doing a D series is really a foolish waste of money in a 3g. Jezz a D series in a civic is no fun at all, that's not going to change if you spend a awfull lot of money to stuff if in a 3g. Run, not walk from a D series.

Either build up the motor you have now, or do a engine swap that makes sense, namely a "B" series. Yes i totally agree that 3rd gens have good handling.:wave: :D

IWLSF
05-27-2003, 10:13 PM
I can tell you right now you wont be satisfied. And dont start adding up numbers like a rice-boy either, that wont get you anywhere.

So basically, from what you said above...here's what I have:

5hp from plugs/wires/coil
20hp from carb
8hp from header
5hp from exhaust
5hp from cat
15hp from porting

Let's add that up. 5 + 20 + 8 + 5 + 5 + 15 = 58hp. Add that to 98 hp stock, and you've got 156hp. Wow, that's B16 area. Awesome. And just on engine mods! More realistically, you'd see probably...

1hp from plugs/wires/coil if you had shitty ones
15hp from weber
4hp from header
2hp from exhaust
3hp from cat
I dont know about porting, kind of a pointless job unless you're looking at forced induction applications. You wont see serious gains, so it's hard to predict. Probably no more than 10 on the stock motor.

So we've got 1 + 15 + 4 + 2 + 3 + 10 = 35hp. 98 + 35 = 133hp. Wow, 133hp for $1000's of dollars in mods? Not really worth it. MOTOR SWAP, cant stress it enough.

sl103
05-28-2003, 11:45 AM
i agree with the rice boy thing i know those were just rough numbers anyways. swap seems like a reasonable thing to do. then i wont have to touch it. the b20a numbers are awesome. so we shall see. i havent quite decided where i want to go with this thing you know!!!! decisions decisions.

toastyghost
05-30-2003, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by carotman
like spend it on beer

beer>all

edit: AND STOP ASKING D SERIES QUESTIONS YOU FUKTARDS