PDA

View Full Version : H2O in my engine

87accordlxph
06-05-2002, 08:21 AM
Good day everyone,

I checked my engine oil last night before I decided to go
crusing when I noticed the end of the dipstick was lighter in color
than the color of the whole dipstick.

:wtf: is up w/ that? How am I getting water in my engine?

I have a flipped air cleaner lid and I also modified the pcv breather to the valve cover.

Is the modified breather a bad idea? Water is getting in there
somehow?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

-Mike

POS carb
06-05-2002, 10:35 AM
open the oil cap and look inside

Jdub07
06-05-2002, 10:45 AM
I don't know if you have been driving in the snow or rain but I flip my lid back over if it starts to rain or when washing my car. Water may somehow sneak in there. Just a thought, good luck

shepherd79
06-05-2002, 11:59 AM
it can be your coolant in your oil.
drain the oil and putt fresh oil, oil filter, flip the air lit box back to original, and see if you still have it.
if you don't the water was comming through intake. if you still get water in oil pan, than it is your coolant. congratulations your headgasket is blown.

Einstein
06-05-2002, 01:00 PM
Water is a huge by-product of combustion. When your car is up to tempearature it stays vapor and doesn't accumulate. But if you drive on a lot of short trips, the vapor condenses in your crankcase and becomes like acidic mayonnaise. It also accumulates in your exhaust and rusts it out.

They say drive at least 5 miles in the summer and 10 miles in the winter to make sure the condensed moisture burns off. If you live very close to work, find the long way there and use it :super:

87accordlxph
06-05-2002, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the responses guys.

Yes, actually it has been raining here up near pt huron MI.
and maybe water has been creeping in the intake somehow.

If I did blew a head gasket, then I think, "I think" the result color
would be like a "chocolate milk" thick and gooey substance in my engine. I also don't burn white smoke out the tailpipe when I idle.

I opened the oil cap and looked inside and seems ok!
No god aweful colouring or leaks in there.

So I guess the answer to my question would be to unmodify my intake mod and flip the lid back over and put my my stock breather hose back on.

Noooo, I like the sound and everything, nooooo :crying:

I guess I have to wait till summer comes. :mad:

Thanks again guys.

-Mike

A20A1
06-05-2002, 05:56 PM
It could just be condensation on the oil dipstick...
let's just say over a period of driving your oil pan accumulated some gasses that may have pushed the rubber grommet that is just below the handle of the dipstick... out of the metal tube.
Now you park your car and go to sleep... while you were sleeping the cool midnight air did its thing and water collected on the exposed metal of the dipstick and ran down to the bottom... :confused:

Just a theory

smufguy
06-08-2002, 09:28 AM
a pretty out-of-my-butt theory. hehehe, like your theory though. :wave: