PDA

View Full Version : Is there a tranny filter?

Danton84
05-27-2003, 08:01 AM
Hey guys I was wondering if the autotranny in my '89 LXI has a filter. The car goes good for like 10 minutes and then the tranny quits pulling. If you let it set for awhile, it will go some more then quit pulling again. Its seems that the filter is clogged and if you let it set all the debris will settle allowing it to be driven until it is sucked back up. If thats not the problem, then I'm guessing the clutches are bad. I checked the fluid and its burnt up. If anyone has an suggestions please let me know.

YK86
05-27-2003, 10:44 AM
Honda AT's don't use filters. Just drain the fluid, clean off the magnetic drain plug, and refill with Honda ATF (important). If it's really old fluid, do it again after the old and new fluid has blended well (maybe a day or two??) as there is a bunch of fluid left in the torque converter. If the tranny has a problem with weird shifting/slipping, try adding some Lubegard AT additive.

AccordEpicenter
05-27-2003, 12:56 PM
if the fluid is burnt, there is a good chance that youll have to get another tranny, because the clutches disintegrate and spew clutch throughout the tranny, and it messes up everything...

easyryder
06-02-2003, 09:34 PM
Listen to AccordEpicenter He is on the right track .Unfortunately the 3G accord does not have the strongest A.t.

AccordEpicenter
06-02-2003, 10:00 PM
Well, they arent bad, but if you never change the atf they dont last long. Ive been VERY hard on mine and it still doesnt slip but ive maintained it well. If neglected they die fast. That reminds me of my friend who had a buick park ave, by the time the car had 140k miles on it, he had to put 4 transmissions in it.. no joke and thats when he worked at a gm dealership. He also maintained it well and was very easy on it, thats why the rest of the car ran great and looked good as well.. but man 4 ats... wtf

dazedNconfused
06-03-2003, 09:19 PM
you know.. that is so odd. I bought an 89 lxi last year and did alot of preventive maintenance on it (and am still currently since everything seems to crap out) but I have a tranny filter. So to speak. Its in the auto tranny cooler lines. THe lines that attach to the radiator. The parts store pulled up a new filter under the search for a tranny filter for an 89 accord. So did some of these cars come with them or are these not considered a transmission filter?

Prozac.

BITESIZE
07-09-2003, 04:39 PM
It is a filter, it's just inside the transmision. Yep you have to take the tranny apart to replace the filter.

zero.counter
07-09-2003, 05:43 PM
Its funny, we are told even by auto parts stores guys that there is not infact a filter for the AT, but the funny thing is that , there is and just like bitesize stated, it is inside of the transmission. But rarely, if ever needs to be changed.

BITESIZE
07-09-2003, 05:53 PM
I don't ever listen to the guys at auto zone when they tell me anything about my car.

njpeter
07-09-2003, 07:36 PM
from what little I know for fact...dealers that installed reconditioned a/t's installed a filter in line with the tranny lines to the cooler that is what is showing up on auto-x cpmputers. Changing the oil is all too easy..little pricey on honda fluid..but they last for highway driving just fine..there just isn't that much clutch material, but one-of-these-days i'll get a filter on one of mine.

DBMaster
07-10-2003, 09:05 AM
The only problem I can see with installing an inline filter is that if you are not scrupulous about changing it you might cause a problem with loss of line pressure.

There are plenty of aftermarket kits available to add a filter, though.

POS carb
07-10-2003, 12:02 PM
yea there is a filter but it's inside the damn tranny

SiR
07-10-2003, 09:34 PM
Yea, its more like a screen inside the tranny.

rocky2
07-12-2003, 04:31 AM
I like what yk86 said. Spend some cash in a effort to save the trans 1st. If that don't work then change it. Sometimes you can revive the trans,sometimes it even gets worse when you do fliud/additive.

DBMaster
07-12-2003, 06:57 AM
An additive that I heard a lot of good things about is K&W Trans X. I put this stuff (1:10 ratio) into my P/S reservoir a few months ago and it stopped the sloe fluid leak I had for years. Putting the same ratio into the transmission aided the problem I was having of the transmission being hesitant to shift into 4th gear. (and I have changed my fluid religiously since the car was new)

Trans X was recommended by a guy on Car Talk's board who really knows what he is talking about. I did a web search and could find nothing but positive stuff about it as well. You can buy a 15 ounce can, or a one quart bottle at just about every major auto parts place. I have seen it here a both O'Reilly's and Auto Zone. You would need about 18 oz for the tranny. I loosened the drain plug and drained that much ou of mine forst to prevent overfilling it.

Information: crcindustries.com