PDA

View Full Version : Where is the knob that adjusts the Clutch at?

A Dawg Jr
05-27-2003, 12:48 PM
I heard it's next to the batery, but I can't find it. Little help.

AZmike
05-27-2003, 01:12 PM
Follow the clutch cable starting over your valve cover. There is a bracket on the top of the transmission near the battery with a large pastic nut that you turn to adjust the clutch cable.

iamvandemon
05-27-2003, 01:24 PM
mikes on target. be carfull. make sure you take your time adjusting it...

A Dawg Jr
05-27-2003, 02:12 PM
K, just adjusted it. Thanks for the help. And the nut is under the car right?? o_0

AZmike
05-27-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by A Dawg Jr
K, just adjusted it. Thanks for the help. And the nut is under the car right?? o_0

No, it's much easier to access the adjuster from above. Removing the stock air intake also helps.

A Dawg Jr
05-27-2003, 03:50 PM
:eek: I followed the clutch cable down and it lead down to the bottom of the car with a nut facing the ground, I got under and adjusted it a little looser. I didn't do it much, but I thought it gave me more free play, but I'm having trouble telling. As of now, I have about 1/4 inch free play, I've heard that you need about 1 inch so I was tring to adjust that. So maybe a little more detail about exactly where this nut is. The one I messed with is all the way under and probably would have been next impossible to get to from above.

Thanks.

AZmike
05-27-2003, 03:56 PM
The amount of free play isn't too important, as long as there is some. What really matters is that the cable isn't preventing the clutch from engaging completely.

Maybe the last time your car's clutch was changed the adjuster was put in upside down. I've never seen one like that, but if it still works it shouldn't matter.

A Dawg Jr
05-27-2003, 04:16 PM
The clutch has never been replaced. So it should be the origional way. But really all I need to know is, do you follow the cable ALL the way down? or is there a nut that is before that. Common sense tells me no seeing as though I don't think I saw one, but I could be wrong.

88LXi/87CRXSi
05-27-2003, 04:58 PM
When you follow the cable down, you should find something that looks like this:

tommy_gunZ
05-28-2003, 08:09 PM
ok im a newB but would a clutch out of adjustment STAY engaged all the time? because basicly it feels like my clutch pedal is at LEAST half way down all the time i do have a new clutch but cant afford to get it changed quite yet kinda hoping it was just an adjustment problem any help would be appreciated btw i cant start the car in ANY gear without even touching the clutch pedal....

AZmike
05-29-2003, 10:20 AM
Our cars have a clutch pedal switch that requires the clutch pedal to be pressed all the way down before the starter will run.

Depending on which way it's out of adjustment the clutch may never be able to fully engage or it might not completely disengage even with the pedal to the floor. Double check that your release arm has a little free play with the pedal up.

wthramann
05-29-2003, 12:47 PM
My 88 LXi Coupe does not have the switch you describe Mike. I can engage the starter in gear with foot off clutch pedal. When I took driver's education the teacher said that you could use this feature if you stall out on Railroad Tracks and cannot get it started! I think the switch would be safer as I have not ever had any trouble starting the car on railroad tracks.

AZmike
05-29-2003, 01:10 PM
I've heard the same thing from some other members on the board about the clutch switch. Maybe only the Japanese cars (VIN starts with JHM rather than 1HG) have this freature. All third generation Accord coupes were made in Ohio, so that might explain it. It's only a guess though.

Illicit3rdgenRacer
05-30-2003, 07:04 PM
Ok now i have a question how come i can start my 5spd accord with out depressing the clutch all tha way in. I dont do it all tha time. I think i did it like twice but i dont understand why it does it. Does that mean my clutch is always engaged or what ???

A Dawg Jr
05-30-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by 89LXi4dr
Our cars have a clutch pedal switch that requires the clutch pedal to be pressed all the way down before the starter will run.

Are you serious???? Maybe that's why I can't get my thing to go

smufguy
05-30-2003, 11:14 PM
most of the Sedans which were carbed did have clutch switches but some efi sedans did not. My lx and the dx i got came with the clutch switches. But the wiring harness off of a 89 lxi did nto have a clutch switch.

A Dawg Jr
05-31-2003, 12:06 AM
Ya, this one does. Too bad I JUST figure this out. Could have saved a lot of embarrassment

Cacalac Jones
06-13-2003, 01:14 AM
Unfortunatly I was the victim of Theft this past weekend and the PO PO found my 3 gee fuckked up!!, bashed in passenger side(right under the damn push out window so I can't even go get a quarter panel cuz it's all one piece!!) Anyhow my clutch when pressed just drops to the floor(no resistance), Car starts in any gear(Still have to press it down to start) but car continues to run with clutch released(even in gear!!) It's not stuck in any gear but neutral...won't engage drive gears....

:wtf:

ACCORD EX
06-13-2003, 08:37 AM
check out the clutch cable !?

MIKE