PDA

View Full Version : trouble with timing belt

superaccord
06-05-2002, 10:41 AM
k i have a bad timing belt so, the problem i have is a big one. i cant for the life of me get the underdrive pully off. the one that holds the ac, and power steering and stuff. i cant get the bolt loose. i have put my air gun with a 1/2 in. drive to it, and i put a crow bar to it, and the damn thing wont budge. what to do?:sadwave:

shepherd79
06-05-2002, 11:34 AM
try to spay with some WB40 or something like that and let it sit overnight.

guaynabo89
06-05-2002, 12:13 PM
Someone else just had the same problem.

You could get a stronger impact wrench, use some sort of penatrant, use a pole over a breaker bar to give you more leverage.

Its a pain in the ass to get loose. Just keep trying. Oh and I hope you have someone else helping you cause there is no way you are going to be able to do it by yourself.

Also are you keeping the engine from turning while your taking off the bolt.

ACCORD EX
06-06-2002, 12:42 AM
a breaker bar !!! :D
i used it on the 32 mm spindle nut ! i used a a 2 m bar !! :D
but i am not sure you can use the same thing in there ! :rolleyes:

MIKE

smufguy
06-08-2002, 09:31 AM
thats kinda strange. we have three diff belts on our 3g. one that around our altenator, one that goes to our pwr steering pump, andone to our AC. which belt are u talking about? u seem to be talking about 2 belts here. :confused:

Xulfiqar
12-03-2002, 01:18 AM
put some brake oil on it, and leave it for abt 3 -4 hrs

it worked for me...

DBMaster
12-03-2002, 07:21 AM
Go to a local shop, slip one of the grease monkeys $5 to break it loose with their 300ft-lb air ratchet, hand tighten, and drive it home. That's what I have done on both TB replacements and it was well worth it.

If the pulley is stuck on after the bolt is out (like mine was) don't tap on it. I did that and broke mine ($140 - OUCH!). A steering wheel puller (there are holes in the pulley) will get it off easily.

smufguy
12-03-2002, 10:00 AM
someone is digging up old threads :D.

AZmike
12-03-2002, 02:59 PM
I have nothing against dragging up old threads. I just doubt advice on this topic is of much use over 5 months after the question was asked.

Greg
12-03-2002, 04:14 PM
I think you're talking about the external crankshaft pulley although that's not what you said.

Even if you have a 1/2 in drive impact wrench, either your compressor may not be strong enough or your gun may be too wussy.

Make sure your compressor is plugged in and at its max psi before you try to take this bolt off.

Also lube it w/penetrating oil for a few hours like other people said.

If that doesn't work, clean the penetrating oil off w/some brake spray and try heating the bolt a little bit w/ a mapp torch (or whatever you can get your hands on). I think that maybe even a little pencil-flam butane torch (they're like $7) would give you enough heat if you aimed it right on the bolt head for a few minutes.

Sometimes heating and cooling these things loosens shit up as it expands and contracts. But be careful where you aim your fire. Try to heat the bolt head for a while, then put your impact on it and try to take it off. If it doesn't work, let it cool for like 5 minutes, resoak w/penetrating oil, and come back to it in a day.

And if all that shit doesn't work, go to a shop and pay a mechanic to take it off with a real impact gun that's hooked up to a real compressor -- not one of our home hobbyist compressors.

AccordEpicenter
12-03-2002, 09:28 PM
yeah try using some penetrating oil, I used this stuff called P-blaster or somthing and it got any bolt loose ive ever needed overnight, much better than wd 40. It shouldnt be tooo tough to get it out, but you might need a bigger air impact gun to get it out

Greg
12-04-2002, 09:00 AM
You know, I've always used PB blaster for loosening rusty bolts because I believe it has more solvent than wd-40 and will break up rust, but I'm not sure that it will penetrate and loosen something that's just torqued tight better than WD. I don't know.

With something like the bolts that hold on your belly pan, I'd definitely go w/the PB blaster because those things rust to shit.

But on a crank pulley bolt, rust usually isn't the problem. So then it's a question of which spray actually penetrates better to reduce friction. Maybe PB, maybe WD...?

Anyway, if I was really having problems w/my crank pulley bolt I'd try one and then the other, but usually the problem is that your impact wrench or compressor is too weak, and I don't know that PB will actually fix the situation over WD.

But I'm sort-of just thinking aloud because I always wonder about which spray I should use for what... etc...