PDA

View Full Version : Should I?

89accordsei
05-27-2003, 11:41 PM
Hello, I am new, I currently own an 88 Accord LX-i Sedan with 168,000miles on it. I am being offered an even trade for an 1989 Accord SE-i Coupe with 175,533 that needs work- leather drivers seat and rear headrest need to be reupholstered, the combo steering colum wiper/light controls needs to be replaced, the right fender and light assembly needs to be replaced, the right front bumper blinker needs to be replaced, and finally the front windshield needs to be replaced. The even trade will be for my 88 Accord LX-i, 168,000miles. My LX-i needs the combo steering colum wiper/light controls replaced, cloth drivers seat and rear headrests reupholstered, exterior repainted. Thats the only bad sides of the deal.

Is it worth trading for and working on?

Jareds 89 LX-i
05-27-2003, 11:47 PM
If they both require about the same amount of work, and the engine and tranny are both good on the SE-i, I'd say go for it! Of course check it out first and make sure it's not been totally wrecked or anything, check all fluids, etc. If the mechanical shape is pretty bad then I'd pass, but if what you mentioned is the only stuff it needs and you can do alot of the work yourself, it sounds pretty good. Not that much difference in mileage, but that's still not a whole lot for a 3g.

Why do they want to trade the SE-i for the LX-i? That always makes me a lil suspicious....

:bow: SE-i's

:D

89accordsei
05-27-2003, 11:56 PM
well she said she didn't wanna fix up the car she has, and she wants a sedan... so thats all. I want the sei becuase it's a coupe and hard as crap to find!

Oh yeah-

and what performace tweeks can I do to the se-i? I was looking on "mike lees" page where he completely modified his 89 se-i. He put in a prelude b20 engine after moding it to fit with a home made turbo, yikes, I would do that if I had the money, but I am looking more into working with what I got. One idea I got at first as sending in the ECU to Jet to have their "performance chip: installed, to hopefully gain 20hp to 30hp for $250.

86AccordLxi
05-28-2003, 12:03 AM
I'd almost say stick with your sedan. It has the same amount of power, just no leather and since your car already seems to have some amount of work put into it, I don't really think you're getting that much of a deal. Granted an se-i is hard to find, but I really don't see them as being THAT much better except for the rear disc brakes.

Alex

89accordsei
05-28-2003, 12:30 AM
hmmmm... well I am 17, the big appeal is the fact its a coupe and has a nice set of custom 15in. allows (which I will definatly check to see quality), I could care less about the bose sound system, the $125 set of 4 lightning audio speakers i got from walmart are excellent, I will most likley replace the speakers with the same system depending on the condition. I have read on the forum the threads concearning the SE-i, all different opinions. Both cars have 120 horses. I am trying to go down there this weekend to test drive it. My lx-i, although it's an automatic, handles very well (like rails) with the Dunlop tires i put on. If it ain't the same way, I might reconsider. Still I want more opinions. The SE-i I'm looking at is an automatic, I also bought the armrest from one to put into my LX-i. The entire brake system has been redone in the SE-i as well as the tires are new, I can say I will be having "fun" on the test drive! HE HE HE

89accordsei
05-28-2003, 07:58 AM
Also, i forgot to mention the Drivers side Power windows dosn'e work, thats gonna be anoher replacement.

iamvandemon
05-28-2003, 12:03 PM
keep the lxi man

89accordsei
05-29-2003, 10:39 AM
Ok I am keeping my LX-i, but I want the cupholders out of the SE-i, then my life will be complete!

POS carb
05-29-2003, 02:57 PM
if you get the bose system you need to buy an amp to power any other speakers than the bose ones.

89accordsei
05-30-2003, 06:16 AM
I have found a junkyard here in Georgia that has 3 89 Honda Accord SE-i's, I will be pulling parts off them to put in my LX-i (like the all much needed cupholders!).