PDA

View Full Version : brake squeak....

89accord_lxi_coupe
05-28-2003, 04:14 PM
when i stop for whatever reason, when i let off the brake there is a squeak. it's kinda loud. could it be my brake lines or what?

off topic: if i had a belt going bad would it make any noises and if so what would it sound like?

thanks for the help.

AZmike
05-28-2003, 07:10 PM
If you are sure that your pads aren't worn out, double check that you have all of the shims in place and then use some of the spray that keeps the shims from vibrating. Mine haven't made noise since.

You probably will not hear a worn belt, only a loose one. You have to inspect them for cracks visually. If you're not sure how old they are it's probably a good idea to replace at least the water pump/alternator belt. It's the only one that really matters besides the timing belt. Your car will work ok without power steering or ac.

scandalcat1
05-28-2003, 07:29 PM
If you look on the side of the caliper, you will notice a small window showing pad to rotor clearance. If you measure less than a 1/4in. it is time to replace the pads.
While you are there, check for excessive scarring on the rotors and whether they need to be replaced as well.

There are some temp. fixes available like a brake quiet spray and a small packet of brakepad grease which should be applied after installing new pads.

Usually screeching is an indicator of worn pads and if you let them run long enough, they will scar the rotors meaning more money

89accord_lxi_coupe
05-29-2003, 12:25 PM
thanks for the info. i'll check them this weekend.

AZmike
06-02-2003, 12:14 PM
Any news?

NeubJ
06-15-2003, 07:54 PM
Mine does the same thing- Every time when I let of the brake to it squeaks-(my brake pads are fine)
Any update ?
Did you find out what it is?

rideredorgohome
06-17-2003, 07:02 PM
Does your car do this all the time??? Sometimes if a car sits for a little while there will be a little bit of corrosion start on the rotors and that can cause a squeak. Also sometimes a little bit of dirt will get in there and that may also cause a squeak.

89accord_lxi_coupe
06-18-2003, 09:16 AM
still haven't checked, either i get busy doing something else or there is rain outside. yes i have a garage, but no there is no room in it for any cars.