PDA

View Full Version : whats going on with my herbie

smufguy
05-29-2003, 07:12 PM
Well some of you might have seen my burgundy 89 lx on my website. But it got into a wreck last year on feb 6th.

well anywho, for almost 8 months, it was under rest, or to say under rust, it got a lot of new parts as in the hood, bumper, corner lights, bumper lights, bumper brace and everything, including new radiator, condensor.

Due to the severity of the accident, the frame was a lil twisted so the bumper brace wont hold on good and the radiator mought was busted. So they were cut using an electic saw and held on by zip ties.

Along with the new parts, IT was converted to Efi after a long time and by the Jan of 03, it was on the road, just as a test car, it ran but over heated due to a faulty ground. I could not have it in my house (a condo) and township people put a darg tag on it saying i had to move my car. So it was driven back to my uncle's house where it was up on jackstands annoying my uncle and my aunt, well its been there for the last 5 months.

LIke march or so, i started looking for a car, just a shell and came across Chris (Civtek) who lives here in NJ 60 miles south of me. I found hiim, pmed him, in two weeks went to look at his car, gave him his money and said i will pick it up next week. Well, the week pased and so did the other week, So did a month and a half. So early this month, right after i got out of school, I picked up his car, towed it back to my uncle's house.

From that day on, its been raining and totally in two weeks i have worked on the car for almost 3 whole days. so lets talk about what has been done to it

The car was a mess to begin with. Sorry Chris but it was. IT was dirty as my indian ass. Well before i take a shower thats how my butt is, well to the point. So it was stripped to bare metal, every thing in the car, the interiro, or what was left of it. All the stored seats, springs, shocks, things i cant recognize. were all taken out, tow hitch was pulled out and every plastic thin int it was pulled out. engine bay was stripped of its hoses and whatever the carb had to survive.

Once the car was down to bare metal, the hood was removed and bumpers fenders were removed. All the rubber gormet and electicals were taken out too. anyway, last week, the engine bay was given a good load of foamy engine degreaser and power washed good. I was suprised to find the color actually pealing off under the dirt buildup in the engine bay. To be honest, after the drying process, the engine bay looked like shit. The front mount brace was rusted as all get out and the rear one is a lil bit too.

I decided to do something about it, and def fast. Researched about rubberized underbody coat, went to walmart, grabbed 3 cans of it. came back home. Today, i went to my car, sprayed it with all purpose cleaner on the engine bay and wiped it clean. The hood got the same treatment too.

Then two and a half cans of rubberized body coat was applied to the hood (under hood). three hours of drying and it looked fine. In the meantime, my herbie (my89lx) started its stripping state. Everything was taken out off of it. Seems like the car is actually taking its shape and Herbie 2 is being born.

Im gonna take pictures tomorrow of the engine bay. and the interior too. Anyway, pretty soon in the next week, the car will be pretty much done and on the road and off to inspection. But before that, new headers, cat and muffler should be bought.

I will update this thread for people interested :D pretty soon.

smufguy
06-04-2003, 06:51 PM
dag no one replied after 31 posts :( me and my herbie2 and herbie1 feel sad :(

pimp86LX
06-04-2003, 07:11 PM
can't wait to see it man!

MrBen
06-04-2003, 08:12 PM
It sounds like a big project... way to go :)

1988starter
06-04-2003, 08:29 PM
good luck you dirty assed indian :D

blazin3gen
06-04-2003, 08:58 PM
yea good luck but sounds like your gonna work your ass off!

smufguy
06-05-2003, 08:36 AM
awwwwwww this made my day. Thanks for the reply guys. The rain is the only bitch thats making me crazy. Its raining here in NJ for the past week except on monday. So im sitting home working on my website, well im redoing my website with more pictures and putting things in order. I should be done within a day or two.

Yeah, im really glad with the way things are turning out with me and my car. Finally im about to get my hands on the suspension parts. So once that is done, i need to get it repainted and then its on the way to inspection. I sure as hell would fail the inspection, but who cares, i got no aftermarket manifold. im planning to get the DC once i get enough money.

And always, thanks for ur comments guys, it really means to be appreciated. Okay, ill stop with the sappy stuff :D

smufguy
06-05-2003, 08:44 AM
well since my last post about my car, here has what happened. The car was sprayed with the rubberized coat on the engine bay and the hood and was left to dry for almost 3 days under the sun and rain. The wires from my lx were transfered to my dx along with the heater core and blower and ac. Power steering resevoir and headlights were put back in along with the pedals and insulators in the cabin.

Fuel feed line for the efi went in on the monday and it looks perfect. Fuel filter went in after cleaning it so that looks alright for now.

Pretty soon, either today or tomrrow, the gas tanks are gonna be dropped and the lines from the existing dx are gonna be pulled out and the lines from my car are gonna be put in. The exhaust is gonna be dropped from my lx and so is the gas tank from it. Its up for sale in the market section if someone wants it.

The third brake light in the cabin near the rear window is taken out and a led brake light is going near the roof. Measurements have been taken and the body is modified a lil bit to accomodate the brackets in it. A cover is probably gonna go over it to cover up the brake light.

Anywho, thats it for now. I will update what i do either today or tomorrow once im done with it.

dXsquared
06-05-2003, 10:07 AM
i am in the process of doin my whole interior with that rubber stufff... the floor, the hatch and under the hood... im not gonna have a carpet, and the plastic from the hatch is gone! its all open.. and there is alot more room...

Travis

smufguy
06-05-2003, 02:19 PM
but the rubber stuff would wear off if u step on em or rub em hard. they are there just to protect and they will stain if they get on ur cloths. and they easily dissolve with gas. So i dont know how ur interior is gonna be without a carpet.

smufguy
06-07-2003, 09:16 AM
newest update::: My remodified website is up and running. Tell me ur input on it guys. Thanks.

smufguy
06-12-2003, 10:05 PM
June 12, 03.

I actually put back my doors. THey need to be aligned but what the heck with it. The Touring hitch has been removed from the trunk and all the seep holes have been replaced with the gormets that were removed. The rear bumper was replaced and so where the damaged tail lights from my car. The battery box was measured and then the wood plank was cut to fit the box right in it. The front crossmember that holds the front engine mount was removed. The torque rod and the shift rod were removed from my old car

Things to do. The front brake and the arms are to be removed from my car and swapped into the new car. Doing so, i would be freeing up my engine to be pulled out easily. The headliner and the plastic side pillers are going in soon. The LED light is being moved from the top of the rear glass to the bottom of the rear window due to inadequate reach of the LED light to reach the glass. The dash is gonna be put it and so is the front crossmember from my old car. Thats about it for now. within next week, my car should be done. Thanks for checking back.

NOTE: I have updated my website with Guestbook in my ABOUT page. Feel free to put anything u want in there

iloveJDMblackrims69
06-14-2003, 08:52 AM
sweet man............ thats a really cool project to hear about.......... cant wait to see the results!!!! keep up the good and hard work!

smufguy
06-19-2003, 06:51 AM
Sorry about the late update but here it is.

The sides of the car, the door jams were sanded and primed and the doors are the next.

Since the car i got was a DX, and mine was a LX i wanted to keep the fold down seat. So the DX non-foldable seat was converted to foldable seats in the rear.

THe carpet was put back, all the sensors and control modules were bolted back in. The battery was wired up to the rear and the dash went in along with all the wiring, gauge and controls. THe rear full spare tire and custom floor board to keep the trunk bed level was recarpetted.

THe amp was moved to the back of the seat and it was wired up and bolted in for a cleaner look.

SIDE KICK: I bought an engine hoist and leveler from autozone and the engine would be pulled out pretty soon. Im gonna take a lotta pictures and i got a buncha use ful How-tos on my website too.

Pretty soon my CAI would be ready too cause i just got my piping from JCW last monday.

THe LED brake light (3rd brake light) was wired up and bolted in, dag it looks sick :d. Also the trunk light was removed and the dome light was used to use its place for brighter lighting in the trunk area.

The steering wheel mounted switch for the fog lights were remvoed and are gonna be wired so that they come on when the praking lights come on.

THe side markers on the fenders (custom ones that chris made) are gonna be rewired with detachable clips.

The Civic lower lip is gonna go in pretty soon.
Thanks for keeping a tab on my thread you guys. I really appriciate your comments. One of the things that keeps me going and being interested is your inputs. Thanks again and update you guys soon ;)

Osiris
06-19-2003, 09:11 AM
Smufguy. Your posts read like a magazine article. :lol: But anyways good job. Youve been doing alot of work. I wish i could get my lazy ass up and do something. :lol:

smufguy
06-19-2003, 03:49 PM
well I have to do it since i need the car asap. All i need to do is just swap the engine and fire that puppy up after cleaning and coating the block. Also to note that my car has to be ready for the NJ meet too ;)

smufguy
06-20-2003, 06:43 AM
whooops, forgot to add this. I also added the foot rest for the driver besides the clutch pedal. Hehehehe, Man..... my car looks soooooo good on the inside. k i will be back in a day or two to update this again.

smufguy
06-24-2003, 06:07 PM
Well yesterday. 6-23-03, i pulled my engine out and along with it i removed the tie rods and the whole axle with upper control arm and the hub. Today i pulled the others from my new car and i was about to pull the damn from cross member out but the 14mm bolt from the tie rod completly stripped. So i decided to remove the lower control arm from the passenger side of the new car which was a 17mm bolt and that stupid shit snapped :mad:. Anywho so that fucked up my deadline and pushed atleast a day further. So tomorrow i have to drop the whole rear engine mount cross member along with the steering rack and all the lines from TWO damn cars. That sucks huh?

Engine: The engine was given a good scrub and new thermostat and thermostat gaskets were put in along with a new valve cover gasket. I cleaned the block and sprayed it with a good coat of high temp paint. Looks good, but sure as hell its gonna peel off. but who cares.

Oil Pan: THe oil pain was rusted as fuck ou the outside. So i took a reg wire brush and took off the loose rust particles, cleaned it good with engine degreaser and sprayed some underbody coating on it.

The injector resister box and the ignition coil were relocated on the bottom of the intake manifold to make a much more pleasing look on the engine bay.

Thats about it for now. Tomorrow im def gonna try and put the engine back in so that by thursday i could be driving it.

God bless me with this thing cause i really need some support and help from him :(

smufguy
06-25-2003, 08:45 PM
6-25-03

I took the rear cross member along with the steering rack and shit and bolted it in my new car after cleaning it and wiping it clean. The front member went in too. Then the shift rod and the torque rod were bolted in the shifter hole and the engine was dropped in. Then the axles were put in and the hubs and the steering rods were bolted back in and the stuff in the engine bay were wired up. There are some to be taken care of tomorrow. so i will be driving it tomorrow. Thank god.

seems like im the only one just rambling in this thread. Anywho, there are gonna be a lotta writeups on my website about HOW -TO

smufguy
06-28-2003, 09:05 AM
6-28-03

as of 6-26 the engine went in and everything was wired up.

as of 6-27 all the fuel lines were tightened and properly secured. The engine was fired up the evening and it ran perfect with no problems except the overheating. I think one of the thermo switches is not workin good.

as of 6-28 the manual tranny oil was changed and so was the engine oil (damn a year or not oil changing thou the car did not run, it looked like black shit) along with new filter. The axles were popped in. Shift rods and torque rods were tightened up and the exhaust went in too. Its gonna fail the emission but who the hell cares, new exhaust will be put in pretty soon anyways. i Took the car for a spin and it was awsome. i cant wait to drive it to the meet if possible on monday.

Thanks for the interest in reading my posts guys. Have fun.

LoKo498
06-30-2003, 07:33 PM
I thought the meet was on Sat Aug. 2nd?

smufguy
06-30-2003, 08:02 PM
we can have one at that time if u wanna.

well my car is doine now. Everything is in place, lights work after hunding down a faulty ground and non working relays and a faulty passenger side headlgiht motor. I got my fans working but needs a bit more coolent to run fine. Everything is in good shape and it needs paint and getting painted tomorrow. so it should be fine. I will take some pics soon.

smufguy
10-21-2003, 04:12 PM
10-21-03

well, The car has been done since the End of August and sorry for my abence. THe car is fully done got DC headers, progress coils, Brand new Konis, Dynomax, Cai and Highflow cat, STill workin on the Cat back.

Visit my website at http://89accord.netfirms.com to take a look at the finished product, the pic quality sucks, but im working on redoing the pages with new pictures to make things organized and more clearer.

Sean
10-22-2003, 12:17 PM
thats alot of work youve done there. damn impressive dude. !!! looks good to !

smufguy
10-22-2003, 04:22 PM
hehehe thanks sean. i still dont have the new pics after all the mods in much clarity, but soon i will get em and load em up on my website. Man......... school takes up all ur life, it sucks :(

blazin3gen
10-22-2003, 04:26 PM
most deff, alot of work man glad u just didnt decide to junk it!

smufguy
10-22-2003, 06:07 PM
Defenitely never gonna have a better car like this. Fits like a glove and drives like a dream. Well a good for the money i can afford :D