PDA

View Full Version : 90 Accord engine

stizle
05-29-2003, 07:50 PM
If i not mistaken the 90 accord's have the F22 Motor in them. If so is it possible to do a swap and put one in my 3 gee. My friend hit a poll and totaled his. he said that i could have anything out of it theat is salvageable including the engine!! Tell me what you think?

blazin3gen
05-29-2003, 08:10 PM
not as easy as it looks too much work and i dont think its worth it

88LX-iSedan
05-29-2003, 08:15 PM
Plain and simple, Don't do it. Why? ..Waste of money, Swap for something that counts.

stizle
05-30-2003, 04:55 PM
but it is there for the taken why isnt it worth it!? i have been in his car its a hell of alot quicker than mine and its stock! 16 valve!! why is this a bad idea????

Jims 86LXI HB
05-30-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by stizle
but it is there for the taken why isnt it worth it!? i have been in his car its a hell of alot quicker than mine and its stock! 16 valve!! why is this a bad idea????

Why? Installing one ='s the same effort and expence as you'd have installing a H22 and look what you get when your done. Now do you understand why it's a bad idea.

I just sold my wife's 4th gen that had the motor your talking about. Compaired to my 3rd gen LXI, I could tell very little differance in power between the 2, very little. In fact the road test I saw of the 90 4th gen ex 5-sp said it took 10sec to get to 60mph, a 89lxi is quicker than that.

smufguy
05-30-2003, 10:59 PM
The 3rd gen efi has 122hp and the 4th gen Dx and Lx have 127hp. Trust me its just not worth it. I got a 4th gen with me too. But besides the torque, the motor is just too bulky to fit into a 3g. LIke our Jimmy said, the bolting pattern on the F22 is exactly same as the H22. so trying to fit a F22 is like trying to fit a H22, which is a waste.

Side note: what color is the interior on ur friend's 4g? I need the front passenger side, door lock release and the plastic housin behind it :D

stizle
05-31-2003, 07:24 PM
Aight i see your point bout the engine. Smuf his interior was originally tan till we painted it all black. His car is greenish interior went to black!!! i'll ask boutit ofr ya!! since you right in jerzey i dont think it would be a problem!1 wha tpart of jerzey you in?? i was born i somerville my friends car is in Clinton right now. Holla Back

wikkedv15
05-31-2003, 07:44 PM
ahahah there just as slow as 3gs unmodded..
my sister has a few tricks up its sleeve.. and it hauls ass..
im not hating on the 3g but if u did the exact mods to each of the cars
the 4th gen would come out victorious..
rebuilt motor
regound 272 delta cam
AEM Cam gear
milled head
port and polished intake manny/exhaust ports
intake
exhaust
msd sci ignition
4-2-1 dc sports header
gude head kit excluding cam

hehe
sleeper..
and ya it hauls ass..

smufguy
05-31-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by stizle
Aight i see your point bout the engine. Smuf his interior was originally tan till we painted it all black. His car is greenish interior went to black!!! i'll ask boutit ofr ya!! since you right in jerzey i dont think it would be a problem!1 wha tpart of jerzey you in?? i was born i somerville my friends car is in Clinton right now. Holla Back

thanks a lot man. I just need the passenger side door release assembly. Anywho, im in Franklin park ((Somerset county)), NJ 08823.

wikkedv15: THe 4g is better cause it has a 2.2L compared to a 2.0L on a 3g. Believe me that 0.2L difference makes up for a lot of power and not to mention the advanced emission system, a lotta vaccum lines were removed.

toastyghost
06-01-2003, 09:30 AM
haha NO

wikkedv15
06-01-2003, 09:36 AM
ya ur right.. but some 3geezrs say they can beat 4th gens.. this is true..
but more than likely that 4th gen was in its stock form...
or near that..

buzzbomber88lx
06-01-2003, 09:38 AM
I'd say if it's free then go for it. They are faster than the a20's and have better aftermarket support. I always love a project and that would be one!!

stizle
06-01-2003, 08:52 PM
hmmmm buzz thats what i was thinkin, just because of the fact that it is free. It also has 150K on it though i am stil takin opinions though keep wm comin please

smufguy
06-02-2003, 09:49 PM
how bad is the damage on the 4g? Try selling the motor and use the money to fix the damage And guess what, no engine means new engine and it means swap baby, better yet h22 swap :D

Steeltwo
06-05-2003, 08:25 PM
from my limited understanding of these two different motors and cars.

the 86-89 will pull in the first two gears due to the 2.2's extra weight(car weights something like 300lbs more).

up top the 2.2L breaths alot better than our wittle 2.0's

from a 4th gear roll they are noticably faster.

smufguy
06-06-2003, 08:50 PM
on a 4th gen, u hit 3K rpm, u will notice the power and torge increase dramatically. It makes it peak torque at 3800 rpm or something and its a lotta torque compared to our motor and its much quicker too. The suspension is much stiffer in a 4g than our 3g so the lane changes are faster and body roll is minimal.

Jims 86LXI HB
06-06-2003, 09:43 PM
The F22 has one of the weakest top end's for a 16 valve motor their is. It does not have any kind of "top end charge". It runs out of breath towards the end just like our cars do before you add a header and exhaust to our cars that is. Spinning a F22 past 5k does nothing but make pointless noise. Let's not confuse the F22 with the H22

Now when the 5th gen versions got VTEC in ex form, now those are different, but still only 145hp and still no aftermarket.

stizle
06-06-2003, 10:32 PM
i dont think i have the time to do the swap but i think i am goin to take the engine and hold on to it cause u never know!! Thanks for the input fellas!! Good lookin out

smufguy
06-07-2003, 07:33 AM
Jim this is what i noticed. WIth the sports mode on, it shifts at 6k exact on flooring it. but lets say ur doing 60mph on the 4th gear and u wanna go fast so u slide ur shifter to 3rd and u see the tach jump up and on concstant acceleration, the tach just jumps back and forth from 5k - 4.5K rpm. I am like wtf???? IS it cause it cant breathe good at that kinda rpm?

Jims 86LXI HB
06-07-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by smufguy
Jim this is what i noticed. WIth the sports mode on, it shifts at 6k exact on flooring it. but lets say ur doing 60mph on the 4th gear and u wanna go fast so u slide ur shifter to 3rd and u see the tach jump up and on concstant acceleration, the tach just jumps back and forth from 5k - 4.5K rpm. I am like wtf???? IS it cause it cant breathe good at that kinda rpm?

Hmmm, OH :tongue: "DING" what your experiencing is the the fact that the torque converter isn't locked up in 3rd vs at 60mph in 4th where is it locked up. Not locked up the rpms will go up and down as you toy with the throttle in 3rd. My 4th gen was a stick, but I get what your talking about.

smufguy
06-07-2003, 09:27 AM
ohhh, the lousyness of the auto tranny. So does this mean, the tranny is going bad or something? A while back, i made a big mistake of doing a burnout with my 4th gen by dumping it into D, i did it twice and from that day on the tranny never felt the same. Anywho, couople of days back, my S light came on indicating a tranny malfunction, my sister said the car did not do good in acceleration. I went to the car, reset the ecu and it has been fine for over 200 miles now. I called up my mechanic and he said he did the same thing with my uncle's 4g.

Jims 86LXI HB
06-07-2003, 11:39 AM
No, just describing what should be normal operation.

smufguy
06-07-2003, 08:48 PM
so u think my tranny is alright then? man.... auto trannies should be named as auto grannies. Those lousy transmissions :(