PDA

View Full Version : Fast idles when in PARK ??

Lester Lugnut
05-31-2003, 09:30 PM
Have dug thru Carb Tech - not every word, and have a question that I hope members here can help with.

Vehicle is an '87 Accord Lx - carb - automatic.

Starting up cold in the morning, all is well. Idle speeds are what one would expect.

Once it gets warmed up good, the idle speed when in PARK goes way up. I can pull the speed down by pulling back on the accelerator pedal. The throttle cable has been lubed and adjusted to spec. in factory shop manual. It's interesting that the cable or whatever doesn't seem to hold open until the car is fully warmed up.

Thoughts appreciated.

DanG86LX
06-01-2003, 09:39 AM
When this high idle happens, what is the cable slack @ carb ? My point is the other cables (TV to tranny and cruise control) might be too tight and cancel pedal spring force..?

Lester Lugnut
06-01-2003, 09:44 AM
Dan - thanks for your reply - I'm going to have to look and both cables again. The carb cable is set accoring to the clearance as outlined in the '87 shop manual. Awhile back I had to adj. the TV cable. I was experiencing "hunting" by the transmission. Another member here posted a cure and it worked. The high idle in PARK did not follow the TV fix. It's been around for a very long time. I'm just now trying the resolve it.

A20A1
06-01-2003, 12:48 PM
TV CABLE (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=207572#post207572)

That one?

I don't think the TV cable will affect the spring on the throttle return cause its pulling in the same direction as the throttle spring.
BTW, if you have an 86 - 87 you might have the TV cable from the trans thru the firewall to the pedal assembly, instead of to the Carb.

Lester Lugnut
06-01-2003, 01:48 PM
Michael:

Yes - the TV cable that connects to some external linkage on the automatic transmission; not the cable that connects to the carb.

My'87 was sort of up-shifting on it's own. At highway speed, the rpms would jump up 200-23-- or so intermittently - referred to here by one as "hunting". I adjusted the TV cable(it was too loose) and that was the end of that.

The car is 16 yrs. old and has the better part of 270,000 miles on it - original carb, so the possibilities are endless to include all those friggin' vacuum valves that are under the hood.

If I get it figured out, I'll update this thread.

Thanks to all for their input.