PDA

View Full Version : audio problems

Pntbal
06-02-2003, 06:18 PM
well you see if i have a 500 kenwood running my mids and highs and a 250 running my alpine type S 10. the problem is when i am listening to it the mids and highs just cut out and my bass is the only thing hitting then all of a sudden they both just stop working. sometimes it is the other way around all of it stops working and then just the sub will hit and finally it will come back on after a few seconds. does anybody know what the deal is with it. i had my alternator checked to see if maybe it wasn't keeping up with my battery and that is why it was shutting my stearo down but they said it is working fine. so i have no idea what the problem is. well if anybody knows anything or has the same problem just let me know. thanx.

HostileJava
06-02-2003, 07:39 PM
Sound like a grounding problem, like somthing is going to ground temporarily that shouldn't be. How do you have everthing hooked up? What outputs do you have on the back of your head unit and what is each connected to?

AccordEpicenter
06-02-2003, 09:47 PM
yeah if you have bad grounding either at the amps or the battery, the amps can go thermal and shut down eventually, also having a poor connection at the power terminal that can do it to, so can not having a big enough cable. For that kind of set up you should be running 4 gauge at least.

86hatchbackLXi
06-03-2003, 10:56 AM
go re-check all your wiring, especially your ground and your remote turn on wire, if these are loose your music will cut in and out. also check your RCAs in the back of the head unit, becuase if they cross or ground out you will have problems. if this doesnt fix it try getting a cap, or upgrading your wiring.

shepherd79
06-03-2003, 01:30 PM
i have to agree. sounds like grounding or battery cable to me.
check all the wires, and make sure they are not striped too far and have bare naked wires sticking out.

catalin
06-03-2003, 10:32 PM
So Pntbal, one thing you didn't mention... How loud are you playing the system when it shuts down?? Also when it does shut down, do the amps stay lit?
When the alternator was checked, did someone actually telll you what voltage it was producing when it's under load and the engine is running?? Very important thing to know..

Pntbal
06-04-2003, 01:55 PM
it doesn't matter how loud i have the volume turned up. it can be just one notch up or it can be all the way up. also it doesn't matter what time of day it is. because at first i kinda thought that maybe during the day the amps are just getting hot from inside the car and shutting down but that isn't it because it does it throuhout the day or night.

goldyaccord
06-04-2003, 03:01 PM
You have a bad ground. I had that problem before..

87accordDxRocFosStyl
06-04-2003, 11:34 PM
I agree bad ground or maybe even too small wires, if those dont work then try making sure your engine ground/battery ground are large enough, youd be surprised what that can do for power needs.

catalin
06-05-2003, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by Pntbal
it doesn't matter how loud i have the volume turned up. it can be just one notch up or it can be all the way up. also it doesn't matter what time of day it is. because at first i kinda thought that maybe during the day the amps are just getting hot from inside the car and shutting down but that isn't it because it does it throuhout the day or night.

You still haven't said anything about the amps lighting up or the alternator itself.

It's easy to just simply assume that it's 'a ground', I do think that everyone is on the right track. It sure seems like it's a power delivery problem. It could be the amp itself too..

If you describe the system a little more or even take some pictures for us I'm sure we could come up with a better guess as to what's wrong with it.

Pntbal
06-05-2003, 12:59 PM
yea thanx everybody for the help i found out the problem. i was outside awhile ago looking at the amps to see if i could figure out what was up with them and i looked real close and one of the wires was lose so that is why everything kept shutting down.

87accordDxRocFosStyl
06-05-2003, 02:59 PM
Sure your welcome, isnt it always some thing frickin stupid like a loose wire........................

Pntbal
06-06-2003, 04:02 PM
yea i know those damn little things are always the problem. i mean you think it is something big but it turns out to be something like that. i am just glad i didn't go out and spend any money on anything to get it to work and it turn out to be this.

87accordDxRocFosStyl
06-08-2003, 09:17 AM
yeah, ive done that before and then turns out its like a short or somethin it sucks.

People bring there stuff in to the shop i work at all the time and pay the 20 bucks to have it looked at plus parts and labor if it needs fixing, but most of the time its a bare wire or a short or some other stupid thing like that, and they wasted 20 buks, but hey at least im paid to do it, hehe.

POS carb
06-11-2003, 05:30 PM
$20 says it was the remote wire