PDA

View Full Version : Unpluged EGR sensor but got a code #2???

joker2
06-03-2003, 07:57 AM
Just don't understand it..... I'm running test on my old engine, that's in the car right now see which vacuum lines and sensors I can bypass because when I drop in the new engine with the b16 mani., I want everything to go smoothly...... So I unplug the EGR sensor to see how it effects the car and the car starts to idle up and down like I had a bad temp. gauge or something...... So I check the ecu and it's giving me a secondary O2 sensor code error but I was expecting to get a EGR code..... Anyone with any ideas..... And by the way, do we really need the EGR sensor anyway seeing that all it does is monitor the exhaust fumes that get routed back into the intake mani.???

AZmike
06-03-2003, 08:53 AM
If you need to pass emissions you probably need a working EGR valve. The EGR also helps to keep the temperature in the cylinder lower when you don't need all the power the engine can produce.

joker2
06-03-2003, 09:03 AM
That would be my luck that I need that damn thing, now I have to figure out how to retro fit it to the b16 mani........ I wonder by living in MD. if I could pass emissions without it.......:)

joker2
06-04-2003, 12:40 PM
I was thinking that when dealing with emissions, since our cars are 86-89's, the standards for our cars shouldn't be as strict as they are for newer cars...... So basically, the EGR may not be needed to pass......:smokin:

infecto
06-04-2003, 02:28 PM
Highly doubtful because our cars are not that old. And usually when a car has something for emissions on it, it needs it.

joker2
06-05-2003, 03:37 AM
Well, I think it's going to be hit or miss on this on so I guess what I'll do is have a A20 manifold all prepared so if I don't pass I can do a quick swap......:D