PDA

View Full Version : Help! winshield defrost doesnt work.

montman
06-03-2003, 02:08 PM
Ok the car failed the safety inspection today b/c of this. :(

Here is the problem.
I can turn on the A/C or heat and air comes out of the regular vents just fine.
When it switched to defrost - either cold or hot there is nothing coming out of the winshield vents.

The inspector said I must have front defrost to pass inspection - which I thought was kinda suspect, but that is not the problem at this point.

Any ideas here as to why the top vents dont blow any air?
Maybe I am missing something obvious....

Thanks for any assistance.

'A20A3'
06-03-2003, 08:41 PM
possibly the tubing to that venting is broken, or detached....i really have no idea though...

montman
06-04-2003, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by 'A20A3'
possibly the tubing to that venting is broken, or detached....i really have no idea though...

Yeah I thought maybe that could be it...

Guess I need to take the dash apart to check?

Anyone have a how-to or any pointers?

3G Jester
06-04-2003, 06:43 AM
ummm i dont really know how the tubing could be detached. check the fan.

TJ89Accord
06-04-2003, 06:48 AM
bring the car somewhere else to get inspected. Sounds like that guy is bein a prick... or take the dash off and look at everything. good luck.

tim

montman
06-04-2003, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by 3g Jester
ummm i dont really know how the tubing could be detached. check the fan.

The air blows fine through the face & foot vents, so what would I be looking for specifically at the fan in regards to the defrost as opposed to the other vents working?

Thanks for the replys everyone, any additional insight is appreciated.

88LXi/87CRXSi
06-04-2003, 03:55 PM
If the fan blows ok thru the other vents, it's ok. Now question is,,,, do you have buttons or levers for the heater controls? Levers, it's probably a cable out of adjustment. Buttons, there's a mode control motor under the dash, drivers side, behind where the dash meets the center part of the dash. With ignition on, push the buttons one at a time, you should see the linkage move a bit as you push each one. if it doesn't move when you push it to def, it's either the motor or the def control button. I can post the motor test if Paul's manual doesn't have it.