PDA

View Full Version : Definitions Of Car parts and products

89AcCOrDmike
06-03-2003, 02:24 PM
I've been a member of this site for about 9 months, and the amount of information i have learned about my car from reading various posts and threads increases every day. As I read through posts and come across terms or products/ parts of the car i am unfamiliar with, it's hard to get an understanding of what that specific part/product does without asking a "noob" question about it. Normally I wouldn't have a problem asking these questions, but after looking at the agitated responses from members who have been asked the same question over and over, I think twice before I type. To solve this problem, I wanted to throw out the idea of having a Definitions section for all the people who don't really know about cars, so all they have to do is look up a term or product or part, and not have to bother anyone with simple questions......just an idea i decided to throw out...i think it would help everyone with the understanding of how an engine works or what certain aftermarket products do...

blazin3gen
06-03-2003, 02:46 PM
yes very good idea, i agree :super:

stizle
06-03-2003, 02:54 PM
im wit blazin on this one! Great idea. A question i got is how long do you have ot be on this board before you get rid of the newbie status

MattsAccord
06-03-2003, 03:37 PM
100 posts

MrBen
06-03-2003, 03:41 PM
I think it's a great idea Michael.

87accordlxph
06-03-2003, 04:15 PM
It's a damn good idea!
I'm learning performance and custom work here than just regular maintenace from service manuals.

Mike

Silver86LX
06-03-2003, 05:32 PM
Great idea. I'm quite new here too and I'm afraid to ask questions sometimes becuase they have probably been asked many times before.

'A20A3'
06-03-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Silver86LX
Great idea. I'm quite new here too and I'm afraid to ask questions sometimes becuase they have probably been asked many times before.

don't be man. just ask away. the people that give you shit are just to uptight and lazy to try and help you. fuck them. don't be afraid to ask people on the board stuff. don't worry.

:wave:

Jims 86LXI HB
06-03-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Silver86LX

Originally posted by 'A20A3'
don't be man. just ask away. the people that give you shit are just to uptight and lazy to try and help you. fuck them. don't be afraid to ask people on the board stuff. don't worry.

:wave:

Well, what about the lazy uptight people that WON'T USE THE SEARCH FEATURE???????????????????????

I don't care if you got 1 post or 65000, you won't get yelled at for asking a question if your willing to run a search. If you can't find out what you want to know AFTER RUNNING A SEARCH post you question and say you tried running a search and you could not find the answer. More than once I've replied to someone needing help that said that.

So, don't be afraid to speak up and ask questions, provided you ran a search first. Their's nothing unreasonable about it, you want someone to do work to answer your question, We want to see that your willing to work the search feature. If your not willing to do that work, don't ask someone else to do the work of answering.

Again, if you CAN'T find the answer running a search, please do ask, no one should make you feel bad for asking.

Jareds 89 LX-i
06-03-2003, 10:22 PM
Very well said Jim :)

People get angry cuz people ask the same question over and over and over and over and over again, when they could have easily used the search feature, or even look through some of the previous posts. I've seen someone ask the exact same question that was just asked only about 6 posts down in the same forum and everything.... c'mon on, how lazy can we be. But if you ask even the simplist legitimate question that hasn't been answered before a million and a half times, peeps are very willing to help you out. Like Jim said, just put in your post that you at least made some effort to already find the answer yourself.

:)

cdscowboy
06-04-2003, 01:17 AM
While I agree with Jared and Jim, I still think the Definitions section could be helpful to members, new and old. It's worth a thought, at least! :)

bobafett
06-04-2003, 07:09 AM
i think its a great idea. but i doubt anybody will use it.

smufguy
06-04-2003, 07:02 PM
if u dont have a clue about something, pm a member ur familiar with, better yet pm a moderator of the appropriate section. Making a whole new section is not worth it. I mean, i always asked for a pop up window that would have the instructions for a newbie, and guess what, after a while a whole new section was made. im glad with it, but making such a section also makes an extra task for all the other moderators and our administrator Marc.

You dont have a clue how many times i would have pmed Jim. C. not even once has he said, "dag u noob, why the hell do u ask the same damn questions?". Everytime i ask him something, esp with my suspension crap, he always replies me with great detail and yet simple words. Hell i even asked him what the 45mm offset meant and how the offset was measured. I still dont quite understand, but u know what, when the time comes, im gonna ask him again and he is gonna answer me just like he has done.

Thats why im comfortable with features like pm so that u dont have to create a whole new thread, waste up space, be flamed and make urself a clown. it all comes down how well u know how to use the features given to you.

Jims 86LXI HB
06-04-2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by smufguy
Hell i even asked him what the 45mm offset meant and how the offset was measured. I still dont quite understand, but u know what, when the time comes, im gonna ask him again and he is gonna answer me just like he has done.

Offset, what the heck is that?:D :stick:

ACCORD EX
06-05-2003, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by bobafett
but i doubt anybody will use it.

my first comment !
second comment > you guys talk so easy and don't think how would that section be done ? should we put all definitions about cars ? how long will that take , and will we cover everything ! sure not ! i have this automotive dictionary from YORK publishing and they have over 500 pages of automotive defintions ! :eek:

another thing , it's not bad to ask , though a lot of people ask the same questions and never use teh search ( like they won't use the defintion section ) , but we still answer these questions with out having a problem , and we always point the asker to use the search future next time !

also if someone love teh cars a lot he would search the net for cars operation theory ! specially www.howstuffworks.com which expalins nearly everything about cars in a very good way !

last note > when i first came to this board more than a year ago i knew nothing about cars !! i searched the net asked friends and on the board the stupidest questions ! and i always got the answers ! that's why i love 3geez.com so much ! :bow:

MIKE

smufguy
06-05-2003, 08:53 AM
and you know what mike (accord ex) u still ask those kinda questions. hahahah :P :D :) just messin with u bro

and you jim, if u dont wish to have ur pm box filled dont u mess with me :D :) :) :). U know i need u to answer all my repeted dumbest questions. :D

87accordlxi
06-05-2003, 09:09 AM
I'm with mike. Why make a section that nobody will use? Nobody even looks at the FAQ or How-to as it is :rolleyes:

If you don't know what a definition means, then there's no reason why you shouldn't ask. It's not like you're asking "How can I make my car faster" eleventy billion times.

89AcCOrDmike
06-05-2003, 08:25 PM
good points........this is gettin interesting....

ACCORD EX
06-06-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by smufguy
and you know what mike (accord ex) u still ask those kinda questions. hahahah :P :D :) just messin with u bro

and i am proud of that ! :flip: :tongue:

MIKE

Osiris
06-06-2003, 02:45 PM
So that some of the info is easier to find and ingest, especially for newbz, why doesnt somebody thats familiar with the info make a printable easy to read version. Then as new info becomes known or available just add a new chapter to it. A dynamic library of sorts...Just a suggestion

ACCORD EX
06-06-2003, 07:58 PM
tell me where to begin ? engine ? suspension ? if engine what type EFI , Carbed ? if carbed where to beging ignition , Fuel ?? do you follow me ! ?

MIKE

smufguy
06-06-2003, 08:53 PM
hahahaha, thats gonna be a lotta work useful for 0.001% of the people. Like mentioned, newbies dont even read the darn How-to or the faq, so this is not going to be much of anything.

If you want to know something, go to pauls website, download the shop manual, and guess what, u got everything categorized in there and find what u want or need in that, and ask doubts to anyone if ur unsure.

HondaBoy
06-07-2003, 10:40 PM
hell yeah! that would be a great help to everyone. who wouldnt want help for their car? saying no would be bad:P