PDA

View Full Version : New clutch...

krott5333
06-03-2003, 04:01 PM
Okay, I'm going to be getting a new clutch soon, I already ordered an Exedy off of clutchcity.com for 94 bucks, but I need to have it put in. Should I have the flywheel resurfaced? (im cheap).

87accordlxph
06-03-2003, 04:02 PM
Yes!

I got one as well but I haven't put it in yet or have someone else do it.

Mike

ACCORD EX
06-03-2003, 10:38 PM
depending on condition !

MIKE !

Jareds 89 LX-i
06-03-2003, 10:51 PM
It's a very good idea to have the flywheel resurfaced when you put a new clutch in, cuz if you get it all back together and find out you indeed needed to have it resurfased.... well, guess what!?! It's like changing a headgasket and not having the head resurfaced before you put it back together.... stupid. This way you KNOW it will work, and won't find out after you get it all back together.

It shouldn't cost much of anything to have the flywheel resurfaced. They turn it the same way they do a brake rotor/drum or anything else like that. Napa charges $10 to turn a rotor, can't be much more for a flywheel.

shepherd79
06-04-2003, 03:17 AM
when i did my clutch, i didn't have to do anything to the flywheel. it was in very good condition. i just cleaned with brake cleaner from any oil or dirt.

AZmike
06-04-2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by shepherd79
when i did my clutch, i didn't have to do anything to the flywheel. it was in very good condition. i just cleaned with brake cleaner from any oil or dirt.

Same for me. If the old clutch wasn't worn down to the rivets you should be ok.

88LXi/87CRXSi
06-04-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by 89LXi4dr
If the old clutch wasn't worn down to the rivets you should be ok.

Hopefully, all that slipping hasn't done any damage requiring machining. When I bought my car, the clutch was toasted, had it towed to a mech in the local area I bought the car.
It cost me $35 to have the flywheel machined. Reason being is that there's an "extra machining procedure" you have to do, otherwise the new clutch gives you problems!:crying:
If you think $35 is high, I think one of the members got charged $75! So check what the cost will be, if the flywheel does need to be resurfaced.

krott5333
06-04-2003, 12:33 PM
I just got a quote, $355 for clutch install and flywheel resurfacing (300 + 55).. its the best quote I found so far, think I'll go with them.