PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel shake

MrBen
06-03-2003, 05:13 PM
My steering wheel moves around when I shift gears. It isn't really noticeable with my hand on the wheel, but with my hand off of it, it goes left and right back and forth while shifting. Then it's fine. It does move around somewhat at low/high speeds, but I think part of this is due to my tires needing to be balanced. It's done this steering wheel shake though ever since my friend slammed on the brakes to a skidding stop in my car. Yes I have had my tires balanced since then.

Also, when I take off abruptly, or brake suddenly, I hear a click sound, but I dont know where it's coming from. Its like a creak/pop sound.

MrBen
06-03-2003, 11:05 PM
No one has any ideas? I'd appreciate it.

Jareds 89 LX-i
06-03-2003, 11:14 PM
Might just be the motor mounts worn, and when you shift the engine moves forward, and then back again when power is applied. This could be moving the rack just a tiny bit (and I say this cuz when the mounts are bad, the wheel shakes at idle). I've noticed my sisters '91 Nissan Maxima does that too when you really get on the gas (and it's got some balls, lol), when the auto shifts gears you can feel the car move left/right just a little bit and then go straight again. I never really worried about it.

Are all your balljoints, tierods, wheel bearings, etc. in good shape with no looseness/freeplay? That could probably cause that too

AZmike
06-04-2003, 08:10 AM
When did you get your last alignment? A low caster setting reduces the steering's tendency to self-center.

MrBen
06-04-2003, 08:31 AM
I have never had it aligned. Everything in the front end is tight-- I had it checked out by a mechanic. I had a guy from another shop drive it and say it *might* be the engine or transmission mounts, but he wasnt too sure. Should I get it aligned?

AZmike
06-04-2003, 08:43 AM
It sounds like the cause is probably one or more bad mounts. Increasing the caster will only reduce the effect. If your car tracks straight (doesn't 'pull') when you're not shifting and you're getting uniform tire wear I wouldn't worry about the alignment until the mounts are thoroughly inspected.

MrBen
06-04-2003, 08:49 AM
Mounts are going to be expensive. Is it doing any damage by leaving it as is? Will it get worse?

AccordEpicenter
06-04-2003, 12:41 PM
if the steering wheel moves around between shifts check your tie rod ends, lower ball joints and uppers too... then look at mounts... If the steering wheel is moving around like that its probably a toe/caster problem, and ive never seen motor mounts tweak caster...

AZmike
06-04-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by AccordEpicenter
ive never seen motor mounts tweak caster...

Neither have I--it's impossible. Where did you get this impression?