PDA

View Full Version : Looking to increase performance...

frankiebonez
06-05-2002, 10:25 PM
Check out my post on the General board for more info on my car and how much of a newbie I am :D

Anyway, I got some suggestions and aside from some new, high quality spark plugs, wires, and an intake I'm kinda clueless as to what else I should do to ramp up the performance of my Honda. What's got the most bang for the buck and will I notice the increase in performance? Hell, will I notice an increase from a tune-up, plugs, wires, and intake upgrades?

As I said in my General forum post, I'm a total newbie to cars. I just got my '88 Accord with only 38K miles on it and I wanna pimp it out in a non-rice fashion.

I'm looking to initially spend about $1000 on some upgrades - and I just want to know what that would be best spent on. Thanks.

Also, what stuff do you think I could do on my own and what would I need a shop to do? I'm pretty good at tinkering and can usually fix stuff myself. What kinda prices am I looking at for some of these upgrades?

YK86
06-05-2002, 11:15 PM
Since I don't have time to list everything and the prices and how to install it, I would either look throught this whole forum and look over any topics that might interest you. Also, do a search on intake, header, exhaust, cam, engine swaps, etc. You will find tons of info. Spend a day or so reading everything and I'm sure any questions you have or may have in the future will be answered.

ACCORD EX
06-06-2002, 12:34 AM
you didn't mention if it was carb or EFI ( LX , LXi ) i > stands for EFI ! :D

any way if you have EFI make a COLD AIR INTAKE ( CAI ) by your self !

if you got carb flip the lid for free ! :D ( it means to flip the cover of the air box and screw it back on ! )

these are the cheapest mod you can do ! :)

MIKE

87accordlx
06-06-2002, 11:38 AM
for $1000 you can do the following
regrind cam, webber carb, headers and cat back exhaust

the regrind cam will prolly make the biggest difference, check out www.howstuffworks.com for info on camshafts

the webber carb will give a decent preformance improvement but miht not pass emmisions

headers are fairly cheap, but won't make much difference by themselves

cat back exhaust is same as above, no difference by itself

hope this helps

AccordChemist
06-06-2002, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by frankiebonez
As I said in my General forum post, I'm a total newbie to cars. I just got my '88 Accord with only 38K miles on it and I wanna pimp it out in a non-rice fashion.

is that 38k a typo? or did you mean 138k jus wonderin

frankiebonez
06-07-2002, 09:22 AM
38K is for real. I got it from my grandmother who hardly ever drove the thing.

She's had it since I was a kid and it is in perfect condition except for some minor paint scratches.

As for the header and cat-back exhausts, what do I need to see an imrpovement from them? Do I need both the cat-back and header combined to see the improvement?

TeKKnoTeKK
06-07-2002, 09:30 AM
Here are the things that go hand in hand and are the main things that allow your engine to breathe. Intake or cold air intake allows your engine to pull in more air, headers basically allows that air to be released from the engine more efficiently as well as the exhaust. By doing any one of the following you will hardly see a performance increase, by doing them all you should see a significant increase. A port and polish would basically allow the air to flow through the engine more freely, so with the mods described above this can make a big difference as well.

smufguy
06-07-2002, 10:59 AM
like everyone suggested. For a grand u can do so much more

1. Cold air intake (if u have a Lxi. Se=-i)
2. Headers (NO PACESETTERS)
3. Full catback system
4. Performance mufflers
5. A stronger clutch for all the banging (if u have a 5speed)
6. A short (throw) shifter (for quick change: 5 speed )
7. Cam gear (eg. colt cam)
8. Better ignition system (msd or accel)
9. better sparkplugs (NGK or BOSCH)
10. Bigger Sparkcables

To see a distinguishable performance everythign has to work together and be in the top working condition and to do that, do all the mods either after a tune up or before a tune up. cause as u know, lot of things will be better after a tune up. Oh yeah, change all the fluids if u have to. And they would be easy on your engine and giv eyou a peace of mind.

if u still got money or willing to put some in get better shocks with coils. Replace them all at once. Get some decent tires.

Thats pretty much all u can do for the time being.

But if u are a sicko like justin, get a custom turbo and look for spending around 5K or 4.5K just for the unit or to be like most guys, get a NOS Kit. :). then u can get high compression pistons, rebuilt your motor,...... and everything keeps going on and on and on. :super:

frankiebonez
06-07-2002, 06:39 PM
Sweet thanks for the tips. So stay away from pacesetter headers? I'll have to look a little bit more for some headers that will work for the LX then. I lack an LXi and 5speed so I guess there isn't a whole lot I can do.

I'm probably going to go by a couple car shops next week to give me an estimate. I'll definately do it all at once.

superaccord
06-08-2002, 06:19 AM
does any one wanna tell us why you should stay away from pacesetter headers?

smufguy
06-08-2002, 07:05 AM
not the pacesetter headers as a whole, but just the ceramic coated one or any painted one they have. its cause people who have em did have a problem of the coating peeling off and pinkish crap appearing. I dont know about how the chrome one is, but the problem was with the ceramic coated one ONLY.

fromerly89Exi
06-08-2002, 01:19 PM
:eek: not to get off the subject, but CHANGE YOUR TIMING BELT. I had a run in with with my old Chevette Thank goodness it wasnt an interference engine. It only had 26000 kms on it. it took me 3 months to blow the timing belt. My guess would be that your grandma didnt drive this thing too hard, you will.....

frankiebonez
06-09-2002, 11:34 AM
O h, dont worry. I already got it scheduled for a tune up and a timing belt replacement this week. I'm gonna get the basic stuff out of the way before i do any real modding