PDA

View Full Version : B20A: is a VTEC head swap possible?

DarknessRS
06-06-2002, 12:12 AM
Or is it too old?

CARBurn
06-24-2002, 07:19 PM
Didn't some one say that all the B-series heads are interchangeable?

MoonScryer
06-25-2002, 04:06 AM
With a little bit of work, maybe. But why? If you are going N/A, then I can see it, but is it worth the expense? There is a guy with an 89 sedan and a B20 in Puerto Rico that put ITR pistons in it, bumped the compression to 11:1 as the result, and it goes like a mutha. I'd rather do that than a VTEC conversion.

toastyghost
06-25-2002, 11:06 PM
What exactly is involved in doing a VTEC conversion? I have a basic idea of how VTEC works and how it increases power, but I don't really fully understand the mechanics of it. And are you talking about a head swap or adding VTEC to the B20A head? Oh and while I'm on n00b questions... wtf does ITR stand for? WHAT ENGINES WILL FIT IN MY CAR HELP MY RIMS HAVE TOO MANY LUG-HOLES

guaynabo89
06-26-2002, 04:46 AM
If I remember correctly someone was trying that but it required machining of passeges and some other stuff.

I think it was that place that imported engines. Mike lee used to have a link for them on his site.

mixmatch
06-26-2002, 06:15 AM
ITR= integra type r
CTR= civic type r

the itr pistons arent the right size to work in a b20b/z i dont know about the b20a

CARBurn
06-26-2002, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by MoonScryer1
With a little bit of work, maybe. But why? If you are going N/A, then I can see it, but is it worth the expense? There is a guy with an 89 sedan and a B20 in Puerto Rico that put ITR pistons in it, bumped the compression to 11:1 as the result, and it goes like a mutha. I'd rather do that than a VTEC conversion.

I didn't know ITR pistons could fit into a B20a, ain't that something. Learn something new everyday.:D

TeKKnoTeKK
06-26-2002, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by CARBurn

I didn't know ITR pistons could fit into a B20a, ain't that something. Learn something new everyday.:D

That is the advantage of any B series motor, pretty much everything is interchangeable. Heads, pistons, cams, JDM, USDM, don't matter lol....we are certainly deprived in that aspect.

toastyghost
06-26-2002, 08:27 PM
I knew that the famous Mike Lee B20A pistons were 82mm, and I just looked up that B18C5 and B16B pistons are 81.5, so I'd say yeah that's pretty damn close. TeKKnoTeKK: yeah pretty much anything is interchangeable, but the B20B has 84mm bore. The goddamn CR-V seems to be the exception to a lot of the B-series rules. The 0.5-mm difference is probably negligible or adjustable, but 3mm is probably giving too much play. Kind of like me on weekends.

1989 DX R
06-26-2002, 08:46 PM
VTEC is the way Honda maximises power and fuel to make a large powerband in the motor. Check out howthingswork.com and look up VTEC.

Basically (in a nutshell) the cam profile is changed at a certain point to make the engine flow more air, thus making more hp.

Its like 2 cams in 1.

TeKKnoTeKK
06-27-2002, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by toastyghost
The goddamn CR-V seems to be the exception to a lot of the B-series rules.

Which is why if I ever did a swap, that is the engine I would put in.......CR-V B20Z, forged pistons, VTEC head, Integra type-R cam. Hellz yeah, then I would turbo that baby......can we say, small fortune under the hood? lol

toastyghost
06-30-2002, 12:19 AM
Can we also say "small fortune from NIRA nationals?" :D If I had mad funds, I would definitely do exactly what you're talking about... B20Z block, B18C5 head, forged everything, intercooled turbo. It would be expensive but you would be an idiot not to figure out a way to make it pay itself off.

TeKKnoTeKK
06-30-2002, 02:42 PM
I wonder what a B20Z would cost....I have looked for some on the internet but havn't really had any luck finding one. Since it is a newer engine I doubt you could pick one up at a junk yard unless you were really lucky. Plus I doubt that engine has any bolt on mods, everything would be custom. But with the swapabilty you should be able to get things done.

toastyghost
06-30-2002, 07:50 PM
http://www.hondamotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?what=page&item=B20B%20and%20Z%20Long%20Block <--- B20B longblock, $799 + S/H.

I've seen them occasionally on eBay for about the same.

TeKKnoTeKK
07-01-2002, 09:36 AM
that is a hydro tranny I assume? Kinda sucks that price is not with the tranny, the ECU would be another obstacle.

toastyghost
07-01-2002, 10:40 PM
At least it's late-model, you could salvage it if you looked hard enough.

TeKKnoTeKK
07-02-2002, 12:05 AM
Just the thought of pulling 200 or more HP at the wheels and around 150 torque relitively stock (with the VTEC head of course, and a few other mods) is music to my ears. I would imagine you could do it for 1500$-2000$.....WELL worth the price :bow: I think the B20Z-B20B engines are still fairly cheap because not a lot of people realize the potential of them.

toastyghost
07-04-2002, 01:52 PM
I know what you mean... If the mounts weren't so goddamn expensive, I'd be saving for the new B20, not the old one. :D

B20A Speed
07-22-2002, 06:01 PM
I was doing alot of research into the B20A frankenstein last year. With the sole intentions of a 1.8 v-tec head on my B20A. To my dissapointment i've found the B20A is no good but the B20B is perfect. The only bad point I found was due to a longer piston rod (can't remember proper name off the top of my head but you now what i mean)which gives it good torque, with the stress from v-tec overdue pressure is forced on the piston and walls. Im not to sure how strong you need to get your piston and piston housing to cope but due to my plans of a Turbo at a later stage im guessing, pretty damn strong. Anyway frankenstein motors are a damn good idea, but if all else fails im gonna have to find a way to fit the H22A in, after all where there's a will, there's a way. (When the bank account agrees anyway!!) :D

HostileJava
11-21-2003, 05:01 AM
Damn another old thread brought back from the dead. How embarassing :lol

toastyghost
11-22-2003, 07:09 PM
Maybe I'm missing something but why are you commenting on this when you appear to be the one that resurrected it? I'm confused...

section-8
11-22-2003, 10:23 PM
he's got a point...decent reading material though.

Quick question: The B20b/z doesn't normally rev as high as the VTEC plants, and you would retain the B20b ECU with a swap(at least I would think so), so, how would you activate the VTEC? Maybe you would need a controller?
I know that with the LS/VTEC, you can use a chipped P28(which is still vtec), or some other vtec ecu, but what would you do in the case of the CR/Vtec? Or is VTEC programmed into the CRV ECU, and just waiting for you to pin into it?
is the B20z a vtec motor?

like I said, just a quick question...hehe:stick:

86dxAccord
11-22-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by section-8
he's got a point...decent reading material though.

Quick question: The B20b doesn't normally rev as high as the VTEC plants, and you would retain the B20b ECU with a swap(at least I would think so), so, how would you activate the VTEC? Maybe you would need a controller?
I know that with the LS/VTEC, you can use a chipped P28(which is still vtec), or some other vtec ecu, but what would you do in the case of the CR/Vtec? Or is VTEC programmed into the CRV ECU, and just waiting for you to pin into it?

like I said, just a quick question...hehe

The Block has nothing to do with the ECU used. You can use P28, P30, P72 ( with the c1 GS-R Head ) or P73. You don't want to use a JDM Ecu, because they have governors.

section-8
11-22-2003, 10:35 PM
speed governors, or otherwise?
All the ECUs you listed are already vtec...forgive my ignorance here...can you run those ecus in the crvtec? I assume there are tables in the computer that account for the difference?
or, can you just chip the CRV ecu to work for this?

86dxAccord
11-22-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by section-8
speed governors, or otherwise?
All the ECUs you listed are already vtec...forgive my ignorance here...can you run those ecus in the crvtec? I assume there are tables in the computer that account for the difference?
or, can you just chip the CRV ecu to work for this?

Forget about the Block. The Ecu depends on your harness set up & Head. for example: there are about 4 vtec swapped 3rd Gen Accords. 2 B16's, 1 Ls/vtec & 1 B18c1. They are using Pr3 Ecu's which are "PRE-OBD or NON-OBD. The guy with the GS-R is using a P28, because he has an OBD-1 setup.

section-8
11-22-2003, 11:41 PM
ok, so if I were to do a vtec swap(I'm thinking b18c1 here)I could use an obd1 engine? Then I would have to use an obd1 ecu, like a chipped p28. I guess I was thinking in terms of the heads, not the blocks, and confused myself here...hahahaaa. So, If I wanted to swap this into a carbed car, then is should be no prob, right(mechanical difficulties aside)? As long as the ECU is compatible with the engine, and all sensors are working...I suppose if somebody wanted to get REALLY STUPID, they could run the harness into the car, mold in a matching instrument cluster, adn have a very unique ride...hmmm...maybe project time...maybe cash time.
:tongue:

thanks for the help...I've done this stuff before, but only on cars that are gravy...this takes actual thought:rolleyes: I've done many swaps with Dseries to Bseries, and matched all the stuff ok, but never dabbled with vtec conversions, so that is new territory for me, hence the dumb questions...most of my customers were 92 and up civic hatches and 2/4doors...I even had a couple with 88's, but never this old. And like I said, never the vtec conversions...it's just not that big here.

SteveDX89
11-26-2003, 04:21 AM
Just thought I'd throw this in. The guy with the B18C is definitely running OBD1. I saw the car. I believe he had to have the whole car re-wired. A custom job and it cost him $1100 just to have that done. Add the cost of the motor, mounts, axles and you've got over $5,000 for a stock GSR motor. You've also got to consider the costs of converting a carbed Accord to FI. Depending on where you get the parts, that can be expensive.

DarknessRS
12-04-2003, 08:47 PM
lol, I don't even remember posting this