PDA

View Full Version : Best and most inexpensive way to improve cornering...

krott5333
06-05-2003, 11:37 AM
What is the most inexpensive, yet good way, to improve cornering in my car? (88 lxi 2 dr). I'm not really interested in appearance, but if rims will help cornering, then hook it up. Should I get new shocks and struts? If so , which kind and from where, for how much?

Thanks in advance for the help

Mike's89AccordLX
06-05-2003, 11:40 AM
Tires, lowering the car helps, sway bars, learning to drive ;)

crwa
06-05-2003, 12:38 PM
Lowering the car and getting stiff springs and struts... for example I have eibach springs and koni struts, and a front strut tower bar, and my car doesn't lean period... It just stays flat no matter what, but thats also with low profile tires, so they don't give at all like stock tires do...

goldyaccord
06-05-2003, 01:59 PM
I would say either lowering the car or getting some rims along with ZR rated tires. :)

AZmike
06-05-2003, 03:30 PM
I'd start with shocks and springs. While not cheap, at about $600 for Konis and decent springs, it will make the biggest difference. Increasing the rear spring rate more than the front will also help to reduce the car's tendency to understeer.

With everything aligned properly with your stock 14s you won't be replacing tires every 15-20k like you probably will if you spent that money on a wheel-tire package with low-profile tires. Of course for maximum grip you'll need to get them anyway. I decided to do the suspension first and was really impressed by the huge improvement.

shepherd79
06-05-2003, 06:22 PM
i am gonna say springs. i just installed Intrax springs and i love they way my car handles. i can take 30mph turns at 40mph.

Mike89Accordcom
06-05-2003, 07:09 PM
Front strut tower bar baby.....

ACCORD EX
06-06-2003, 12:52 AM
isn't teh strut bar or a sway bar the most thing responsible for corenering ?

MIKE

krott5333
06-06-2003, 03:33 AM
I think I'm gonna get a strut tower bar first, as they are relatively cheap and easy to install, then I'll go from there.

NXRacer
06-06-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by shepherd79
i am gonna say springs. i just installed Intrax springs and i love they way my car handles. i can take 30mph turns at 40mph.

30's at 40? hell i can do that in my 79 toyota corona wagon. I hope you can do a lot better then that!! My 3g can take 15's at ~35mph and all i have are heat-shrunk springs!! And those handle like s**t.

Anybody know what rear tower-strut bars will fit on the 3g's?? I know 92 civic front tower bars will fit with a little modification, but does anybody know of any rears that will fit??

DBMaster
02-25-2012, 09:03 AM
I'm going to be a little different here and say "practice and training." Most people I see have no idea what the handling limits of their cars are. They slow down to ridiculously low speeds for any cornering. The way to get better is to find an area where you don't have to worry about crashing into anyone and practice, practice, practice. I have driven this car for 23 years. I know how hard I can push it on dry and wet roads. I have learned the signals it gives me when the handling limits are reached. Fortunately, these cars tend to break loose in the front and plow before they fishtail so reaching those handling limits is less risky. Before you try bettering the car, try bettering the driver.

ShyBoyCA6
02-25-2012, 09:24 AM
^^^ That is true!

Its better if you as the driver gets to know the car's limitations Before adding lowering springs and small stuff. the driver does not have limitations like the car does so overall you will improve your cornering. I practice at corner every time i pass by it when there is no cars around me to do it. I say from moving from a stocked sedan to a coupe lowered 2" inches im impressed how much better my cornering got. i use to take the right turn at 30mph in the sedan had alot of body roll on the rear but now i go 40-45 mph on the turn with the coupe. any faster i can feel my front tires losing grip cause i have 185/60/14 and those tires are shit and on my rear i have Falkens 205/60/14's. But yeah first you must have confidence in yourself as some tend to slow down.

DBMaster
02-25-2012, 04:14 PM
I'm not saying there aren't mechanical things people can do to improve a car's handling. I was just being a bit flippant about the "cheapest" way to improve handling. :)

charliekuney
02-25-2012, 04:36 PM
the driver does not have limitations like the car does

no