PDA

View Full Version : when to change PCV valve !

ACCORD EX
06-06-2002, 10:39 AM
i wanted to know when to change PCV valve ! and i don't know when it was last changed ! what can i do to test the existing valve ! what are teh symptoms of a bad one ! thnx a lot for all the replies ! :D :)

you guys rock ! :super: :bow:

MIKE

88WhiteLX-i
06-06-2002, 11:05 AM
If your PCV valve was fucked up, you'd be idling weird, and some other shit. BUt I say change it anyway because the thing doesn't cost more than $5 bucks. I mean it takes about 1 minute to put in ad it's cheap. just replace it!!! :p

Afrosheen
06-06-2002, 12:11 PM
Where the hell is this valve? I bought a replacement yesterday and my weak Haynes book doesn't show any pictures of the EFI engine when it comes to the PCV placement..haven't found any info online. I remember someone showing a pic before. Where is this picture?

YK86
06-06-2002, 12:19 PM
It's between the intake runners on the EFI. There's a hose connected to it. To check if it's okay, you're supposed to shake it and make sure the spring loaded valve moves freely.

87DXHatch
06-06-2002, 06:47 PM
If someone could post on how to replace it (as detailed as possible) on an 87 DX accord as well as where to get the part, it might save me ~$100.

Please!

88WhiteLX-i
06-06-2002, 08:43 PM
I know that on the 3g's that use EFI, the PCV valve is located at the other end of the tube that starts off at the letter 'P' on your throttle body, the hose runs down, and just pull that hose out and it's right there, hope that helps :D

1988starter
06-06-2002, 09:05 PM
Look in the second pace of the FAQ it is their thanks Carrotman.

ACCORD EX
06-06-2002, 11:34 PM
does any one know how to test the old one ! :D

MIKE

Afrosheen
06-06-2002, 11:57 PM
My Haynes manual says just take it off and shake it back and forth. If it clicks when you shake it it's fine. If it doesn't, the valve is clogged and it's time to chuck it in the trash.

Like someone said earlier it's so cheap might as well replace it and make note of the date on the calendar if you're rooting around under the hood. One less thing to worry about.

njpeter
06-07-2002, 03:41 AM
the PCV vavle costs $14..it's seems to be a dealer only item.

on the carbed accord it its foward of the carb, in the manifold at the end of a u-shaped hose.

might be a wise idea to buy the rubber mounting grommet too..mine was hard as stone when I changed mine.

if your valve cover grommetts were crispy, get the bit for the pcv vavle for sure.

dj99
06-07-2002, 06:50 AM
Buy it off the rack at at a parts store.

ACCORD EX
06-07-2002, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by njpeter
if your valve cover grommetts were crispy, get the bit for the pcv vavle for sure.

what do you mean buy the ? :)

anyway thnx for all the replies guys !

MIKE

Afrosheen
06-07-2002, 10:44 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by njpeter
[B]the PCV vavle costs $14..it's seems to be a dealer only item.

Dude I don't know where you're shopping at. Autozone here had it for $6.50 (in Dallas) so I imagine it should be at ALL the Autozones.

ACCORD EX
06-07-2002, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Afrosheen
Dude I don't know where you're shopping at. Autozone here had it for $6.50 (in Dallas) so I imagine it should be at ALL the Autozones.

man i think he is talking about the genuine one not the after market stuff ! it's for 10.70 $ on majestic honda !

MIKE

Einstein
06-07-2002, 12:58 PM
I think the official test of the PCV valve is to pinch closed the tube going to it and listen for clicking sound during idle.

PCV valves are easily cleaned with carbureator or brake cleaner. I replaced mine with a purolator brand, and the new one was loose in the grommet. I think the only way they really break is if the spring inside goes kaput.

If your car doesn't stumble around at idle, your PCV is likely OK.

gr3k0sLaV
06-08-2002, 06:27 AM
I dont get how do you remove the PCV valve?

that's the part that I havent seen explained yet?

I dont get where it is? is it connected to the tube that goes to the v alve cover?

RCracer
06-08-2002, 07:35 AM
My PCV valve went bad last week. The car was idleing badly and would stall as soon as I put it in drive. I took the pipe off pulled the valve out of the rubber grommet and looked and could see all the way through it. All there is is the PCV valve body and a spring that you can see. I dont know where the valve bit has gone but it aint in there no more :mad: .
I got a PCV valve from a integra fitted it and everything is back to its normal self.
Yes I have ordered one from the local honda dealer but it will take them forever (well a few weeks) to get it for me.

CARBurn
06-09-2002, 02:59 PM
You put in a PCV valve from an integra, what year?

Afrosheen
06-09-2002, 03:03 PM
Just replaced mine yesterday. It was all oily and crusty on both ends and didn't rattle (much) so I was glad to change it. Only thing that bothered me was that the replacement didn't feel like a really tight fit like the original. Is this normal?

Einstein
06-09-2002, 06:19 PM
My replacement didn't fit as tight either but seems to work fine. The hose seems to push down hard enough to keep it from coming out. You can also buy a separate new PCV valve grommet from the same parts store you got the valve if you want... I didn't bother.

RCracer
06-10-2002, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by CARBurn
You put in a PCV valve from an integra, what year?

The PCV valve I got was from a 1987/88 integra 5door.
It has a right angle bend but as my car has a carb I just got a new peice of pipe (from the integra) and it all fits nice.
The new valve was loose in the orignal grommet but I got the one from the integra as it looked new and in good condition.
:smokin: