PDA

View Full Version : A20A3 PCV valve location

Not like a rock
06-05-2003, 07:22 PM
I just picked up an 89 SE-i. I got it dirt cheap because there is a clatter (pretty sure it's valves) between 2500-3000 rpm. I set the valve lash and did the timing, but the noise is not totally eliminated. It was recomended that I check the PCV valve and blow by filter, but I can't find them on this engine or air filter (A20A3). Can anyone recomend a good manual, I have a Haynes 84-89 manual, but it sucks.

Chrome_thangs
06-05-2003, 10:19 PM
use the search, type pcv.
someone has a pic already posted.

Chrome_thangs
06-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Ohh yeah, you got the top trim model! Se-i is very rare! take good care of her!:super:

AZmike
06-05-2003, 11:40 PM
This is the thread that they were talking about.
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69

You may want to take a spin through the frequently asked questions and run a search before posting a question next time.

HondaBoy
06-06-2003, 09:25 PM
i learn new things about our 3gees every day. my mom just bought me a chiltons manual 2day. it includes accords and preludes from '84-'95. i got mine at O'reilly auto parts storel. this should be fun to read. i wont read anything else but stuff on cars. but neway, ive heard that the chilton repair manuals are some of the best.

Not like a rock
06-07-2003, 01:23 PM
Ok, I got a new PCV valve, but I guess I should check the blow by filter while I'm at it. I already did a search but couldn't find much. Is the filter under the intake manifold?

I got the PCV valve, and it was shaped a little differently and wouldn't press in all the way, when I tried to remove it, it broke. I found another one by a different manuafacturer for 89 accords, but it is also shaped differently. Does anyone know if the valves are different between A20A1 and A20A3?

A20A1
06-08-2003, 02:07 AM
They might be... but the FRAM one I got fit the 89 SE-I port and the 89 LX port.

I'm not entirely sure where the PCV filter is on the EFI motors... I would just follow the vacuum line from the valve cover to where ever it ends up.

Not like a rock
06-08-2003, 07:50 PM
Well, I couldn't find a PCV valve that I liked, so I just soaked the old one in gas until it started to rattle again. There's lots of vacuum at the intake of the valve, so that doesn't seem to be the problem. My engine still produces tons of blow by, though, so it might have gummed up piston rings...the previous owner just put-put-ed around town with it and didn't seem to have changed anything very often.

The PCV hose doesn't come off the top of the crank case like the carb models. The valve sits on top of the intake manifold, but I can't see where the hose comes from. I'm still looking for a pcv filter, because my manual says "replace the pcv filter (if equipped with one)..." So, has anyone replaced a pcv filter on an 89 SEi?

A20A1
06-10-2003, 04:28 AM
The PCV Valve is on the intake manifold on carbs as well...
However the hose on the valve cover is for the filter, and both EFI and CARB cars have a port on the valve cover, they're just in slightly different locations... Thats why I suggested for you to follow the hose coming off the valve cover to find the filter... but it may just go into the stock intake piping and have no filter.

Not like a rock
06-10-2003, 05:57 PM
The crank case vent tube just goes straight back to the intake piping. In normal operation, this hose allows excess blow by to be sent through the air cleaner. That's what the manual says, anyway, but from where the hose goes, it looks like the blow by will just be sucked through the throttle without getting filtered. I think this makes more sense anyway, because the whole point of this process is to scavenge crank case vapors, not filter them.

In my case, the engine is creating so much blow by gas that it condenses in the intake piping and pools in the air filter casing. My short term solution is to disconect the vent tube from the intake piping and drain it into a little jug. This means that oil mist creeps up from under the hood at stoplights. It was funny for a couple days, but I need to get it fixed.

carotman
06-10-2003, 06:13 PM
The EFI models do not have a pcv filter

A20A1
06-10-2003, 06:34 PM
cool thats what i thought.. I just never put my efi parts together on my car so i wasn't too sure.

Not like a rock
06-10-2003, 07:14 PM
Well then, I'm clear on that. Thanks.

jagojon3
07-03-2003, 05:08 PM
EFI doesn't have a PCV?!?!?!?! can anybody verify this?

jagojon3
07-03-2003, 05:08 PM
EFI doesn't have a PCV?!?!?!?! can anybody verify this?

Tref_LXI
07-04-2003, 06:15 PM
the a20a3 has a pcv valve to the left of the intake manifold, and the pcv filter is under the top of the camshaft cover.

Not like a rock
07-07-2003, 04:57 PM
do you have to drill the rivets out on the inside of the camshaft cover to check the pcv filter? Or does that plate pop off somehow?

Justin86
07-08-2003, 11:41 AM
What about the black box that is on the back side of the engine. It is part of the PCV.
With your blow by it is caused by bad rings or a cracked head. If you check your compression it will help to issolate your problem then go from there.