PDA

View Full Version : Air Conditioning removal. Whats needed?

gruvmstr206
06-06-2003, 12:47 AM
IM sure this subject has been beat around the bush a few times, but can i get a fresh perspective on whats needed to completely remove the Air Conditioning from my car other than the AC Compressor? Is there anything i need to drain or any precautions i need to take before undertaking this project? Is it something i can completely do by myself? (im very mechanically inclined)

Comments would be appreciated!

Thanks!

A20A1
06-06-2003, 02:43 AM
Don't breath in the fumes when you bleed the system of the gasses, or whatevers inside the tubes.

I just held my breath... cut 2 holes in the brass tubes and ran far far away... :D
I don't recommend it... I'm just saying thats what I did.

shepherd79
06-06-2003, 03:27 AM
i agree with mike. don't breath when you do that.

Sabz5150
06-06-2003, 04:11 AM
You'll need to remove...

The compressor (located on the engine)
Compressor motor mount (Ditto)
Condenser (located in front of the radiator)
Dryer (Located underhood, driver's side towards the front... has a sightglass on it. Be prepared to remove your fender for this.)

Inside the car, you'll need to drop the business end... or you can leave it. Remove the glovebox, and the support the glovebox screws into. See that BIG black box? Find the screws holding it in (easy to find) and pull straight back. Now, you'll need to keep the box itself, it's connected to the blower motor and is needed to route the air to your vents. Just gut the thing of it's parts and put it back with the hole left from the A/C parts taped/bondoed/whatevered closed.

Congrats, have a smoke and drink a beer... your A/C's completely gone.

ACCORD EX
06-06-2003, 07:56 AM
when bleeding the system i just loosen one of the hoses going to teh compressor so they can bleed slowly without causing any harm to you !

Mike's ( A20A1 ) way of cutting the hoses is a little bit dangerouse ! but we all know Mike ! :D :D

DBMaster
06-06-2003, 09:06 AM
If the system has R12 you don't need to worry if you breath a little bit of the fumes. That was one of the nice things about R12, it is virtually non-toxic. Now R134a ia another story. You don't want to breath that shit at all. What a step forward in A/C technology! :(

SiR
06-06-2003, 10:04 AM
Well, there is already a new system in refrigerent. Its by using compressed CO2. Its its some new cars in Europe, dont know which right now. The only problem is that its must be held in at higher pressures then R134a or R12. Sounds intersting...

smufguy
06-07-2003, 08:28 AM
Removing AC lines (Discharge AC system before prceeding): Remove the copper refrigerant line that runs above the radiator/condenser, using two wrenches. Always use WD40 on the joints to loosen them up to avoid twisting the lines in an effort to loosen them. Remove the black crush-zone bar on the front (to give you more space to work around). Use two wrenches to remove the condenser line that runs from your refrigerant receiver/dryer to the condenser.

AC: Now it’s the AC unit. There are two 10 mm bolts on the top of it and two black screws on the left side of it that is connected to the Heater unit. Remove it and the AC unit should slide out perfectly.

Condensor: The condensor has ac lines going thru it on the front, use two wrenches to hold securely while u loosen it.

Dryer: to remove this, u need to remove the front bumper and the windshield washer resevoir, on the driver side. Remove the two 10mm bolts on the far right and then unbolt the other 10mm bolt that holds the dryer to the brace. Pull out the freezer/dryer out thru the engine bay along with the lines.

Once ur done. Using a maskin tape or ducktape, tape off the high pressure and high pressure lines coming off of the ac unit thru the fire wall. This is to prevent dust and moisture going in, if u wanna use the unit in the future.

Compressor: After removing everythign the compressor is held on my 14mm bolts or 12mm bolts i dont really remember. U gotta use a lot of WD40 and use a 1/2" drive ratchet rather than a 3/8" drive to make ur life easier and avoid gettin hurt.

Your best tool is a 19mm wrench and a 10" small Pipe wrench. Also u might need a 17mm wrench if im not mistaken.

Dont u bust your fingers.