PDA

View Full Version : B20 Carb'd - Anyone done it recently?

ascender
06-06-2003, 05:37 AM
Just poking around the grey matter, and wondering if anyone here has done a B20 carb'd for a 3G. It seems like the most economical way to go for a performance upgrade for my 88Lx, wouldn't require a FI conversion or major ECU change, etc. This is all speculative, but the motor won't last forever, I give it two years or so before I cross the 200k mile marker. I'd like to have this motor/tranny built and ready in a year or year and a half, no big rush.

Ideas, suggestions, flames for not comprehending the FAQ's? Yes, I read them, lots. :) I hear a lot about "you CAN do carbs" but nobody claiming success with the setup.

PhydeauX
06-06-2003, 08:41 AM
There are/were 2 guys with carbed b20a's floating around. Excuseme for not rembering the first guys nick, I know it but I'm just drawing a blank right now. He's running his b20a with a pair of weber 45DCOE side draft carbs. He says its a very potent package and I'm inclined to believe him. Thats not the most economical way to do things, 45DCOEs arn't cheap and there is the custom manifold that needs to be fabricated. On the other hand that setup is going to rival an aftermarket efi setup as far as performance goes. Since the b20a and the a20a have the same manifold flange you can always slap you old carbed manifold right on there. I'd assuem it would be possible to run it with the stock control system or a stock carb with the control system eliminated, I don't think anyone has tryed that. You probabaly wouldn't want to choke a b20 with that crappy thing anyway. The other option is to run the stock manifold with a weber DG serise carb. Kits to fit a 32/36 DGV carb to the a20a manifold are readily available, or better yet you can use its bigger brother the 38/38 DGS. AerodeckUK went this route and I believe he had good luck with it. The last option which isn't really feasable right now would be for me to get off my butt and finish my modified manifold prototype. When ever I finish it it will allow you you to use a weber DCNF series carb on an a20. I just need a drill press to finish it, but cash is tight right now and its not #1 on my priorties list.

andy

ascender
06-06-2003, 10:06 AM
I got a press, mail it to me with locations punched and I'll do whatever you want.

Thanks for the info!

AccordSi
06-07-2003, 03:09 PM
What's up peeps....You can hook up the B20A to run carbs it does so perfectly...I did it because I lost my B20A ECU in a fire.

ascender
06-07-2003, 03:19 PM
Ahhh, excellent.

Now, just gotta decide on carb setup to use... :) Dual carbs sounds a bit like overkill, but if it works...

AccordSi
06-07-2003, 08:27 PM
Before I built up the engine to accept the dual carbs I was running a weber 38/38 rachet type carb, adapted to the stock intake manifold.....It worked great to, but if I had to choose between the 2, I'd go for the set up I run now. It's all up to your budget.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
06-07-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by AccordSi
Before I built up the engine to accept the dual carbs I was running a weber 38/38 rachet type carb, adapted to the stock intake manifold.....It worked great to, but if I had to choose between the 2, I'd go for the set up I run now. It's all up to your budget.

Where in the Caribbean are u from?

ascender
06-08-2003, 03:42 AM
OK, so, sounds like this is actually a reasonable swap out. Tranny is the big issue now, as from what I gather, finding the motor/tranny combo is not easy. Most folks seem to find just the motor...

Hmmmmmmmmmm... At least I already have a 5spd, no conversions there.

AccordSi
06-08-2003, 03:26 PM
I'm way down south in Trinidad. I'm in NYC every summer (mostly).....wish I could bring my car.

ascender
06-08-2003, 04:42 PM
WOW! Trinidad and Tobagda are the only places that will allow me to immigrate with my Machine Gun collection!

Should I? :)

AccordSi
06-09-2003, 03:16 PM
Hahahaha....lol. Sad to say...yeah it's really terrible down here. You can more or less do as you wish in the Caribbean because no one really gives a f*ck. Tobago is laid back,real R&R. Trinidad is the fast life.
You should come for the Carnival festival in Feb/Mar to see what it's like down here.

ascender
06-09-2003, 03:34 PM
So what did you do for the intake manifold? Just fab it up yourself? Any pics?

How much in US dollars were the carbs?

AccordSi
06-09-2003, 05:23 PM
I paid US$160 for the carbs. Super deal, cause they were in great condition.

I had to make a manifold for the carbs...I just did it at a local race shop.
When I had the 38/38 I used the old intake mainfold.
I had pics up on the old forum....I don't have any on my brand spanking new G4 and I don't have a digital camera. Hard to understand because I have all other forms of technology but no camera.....Geeez!!!!!

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
06-09-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by AccordSi
I'm way down south in Trinidad. I'm in NYC every summer (mostly).....wish I could bring my car.

SHit U should move out here and bring ur car!