PDA

View Full Version : It Won't Even Turn Over!!!!!

1987HondaAccord
06-06-2003, 07:31 PM
HELP!!! PLEASE!!!

ok, today i went to a flower shop to check out the flowers for a lucky lady, and when i went back to my car, it wouldn't even turn over. All of the normal lights came on on the dash, and I twisted the key, and NOTHING happened. I tried turning it off and taking the key out and trying again. It didn't help. Eventually i took the cover of the steering wheel column, and started to take the electrical connections to the key off. I got half way through, and decided to try again. I giggled the whole thing while i held the key in the on position. It finally started.

When i got home i thought i would try to see if i had solved the problem (if it was just a loose connection). The same thing happened. NOTHING.

Please give me any pointers or ANYTHING. I am desparate to get this solved.

Thanks in advance!!

Mike's89AccordLX
06-06-2003, 07:38 PM
Does it click? I would put money on it that it's your starter. Common problem.

1987HondaAccord
06-06-2003, 07:42 PM
what do you mean click? I can hear the typical click when the pgm-fi light goes off. Is that what you meant? I didn't hear any other click.

Mike's89AccordLX
06-06-2003, 07:49 PM
Yeah that's what I mean.

88' Accord Ltd
06-06-2003, 07:49 PM
I think that if there is no clicking from the starter then its a probelm with the ignition switch. When you turn the key and the starter it going out, you can hear it click in the engine bay everytime you turn the key to start it. All the lights come on so I'm guessing its not a problem with the battery...

ACCORD EX
06-06-2003, 07:52 PM
here is what i wrote before !

does all lights work fine ! if yes >

1. check the out put of the battery when car is off shouldn't be less than 12 V ( battery is fine )

2. check the out put of the battery when car is @ idle shouldn't be less than 14 V ( alternator is fine )

3. check the both battery terminal and engien ground .

4. check teh little wire going to the starter ( B/W wire ) see if it is loose . ( if it's not loose proceed to next step )

5. take this little wire off , turn on the ignition , connet a wire between the + of the battery to the starters terminal ( where the wire used to hook up ) if the starter turns and the car comes on ( WARNING : once the car is on disconnect the wire immediatly or you will damage the starter )

IF the starter turns on , so there is an open in the B/W wire , or therr is something wrong with ignition switch ! ( Spray some WD40 in there it really helped me )

IF the starter doesn't turn replace it !

hope this helps ! good luck !

and please guys use the search function ! :)

MIKE

1987HondaAccord
06-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by ACCORD EX

4. check teh little wire going to the starter ( B/W wire ) see if it is loose . ( if it's not loose proceed to next step )

MIKE

Where is this?

cruznz
06-06-2003, 10:38 PM
its the small wire on the solenoid of the starter motor,probably has a black cap over it

ACCORD EX
06-07-2003, 05:26 AM
if you can't find check teh clutch how to in the how to's ! or wait till i get home and post the pic !

MIKE

1987HondaAccord
06-07-2003, 10:35 AM
I went out to my car this morning to drive somewhere and had the same problem. I had started to take the steering column apart yesterday, so that i could get to the electrical connection near the key. I took of the cluster thing at the back of the key cylinder. Two screws... I stuck a screw driver in it and turned. IT STARTED!!!! :) :)

So that must be it. How much do those cost to replace and what is it called??? Right now, the steering wheel column is in pieces. To get the car started i have to use a screw driver in that thing and twist. I only need the key to release the steering wheel.

Thanks for everyone's help!!!

infecto
06-08-2003, 09:44 AM
Well if you here the clicking of the solenoid but not the starter then it is probably the starter motor itself. Have you tried your screw driver method a few times like 10-20 just to make sure that is the problem?

Sabz5150
06-08-2003, 10:26 AM
Find the black wire with white stripe and the white wire with black stripe on your ignition. Cross them. If your car tries to turn over, then it's probably your ignition switch going.

1987HondaAccord
06-08-2003, 06:25 PM
Yup, its the switch. How much do they cost?

infecto
06-08-2003, 07:44 PM
They have prices on the advanced auto site