PDA

View Full Version : Question for all

Techno
06-06-2003, 08:12 PM
I just went through a lot of work today on my 86 LX. I had tried to fix my A/C because My car is a daily driver and A/C is nice. I found that there was a big leak on the Accumalator and decided at that time that I would pull it all out because it would be too much money to try to fix the leak and all.
My question is after removing all the piping and the compressor and the condenser, does anyone have an idea how much torque (if any) was gained by removing the compressor from the pulley system?

BTY thanks to who posted the idea on the flipped lid. I like the sound and I think there IS a horsepower difference. I think there is a quicker response time

Techno

1988starter
06-06-2003, 08:16 PM
I found the best way to get better throttle respoce on the carb cheep is clean the dam thing out as best as you can.

Jareds 89 LX-i
06-06-2003, 09:49 PM
As far as power is concerned, you gained absolutely nothing by removing the compressor. When the compressor is on of course it's taking extra power, but when it's off it's just a freely spinning pulley (just like an idler pulley [tentioner] on most cars with a single serpentine belt). You will save a little weight though

:)

shepherd79
06-07-2003, 05:29 AM
when i removed my AC stuff, my car lost about 60-70lb of weight.

smufguy
06-07-2003, 08:07 AM
the AC compressor is about 30lbs if im not mistaken. And the ac lines and the dryer and the condensor should shave off some 5 lbs and not to mention the bracket thats like 3 lbs itseld. I took em off, but now, i gotta put that shit back in. drag. :(

easyryder
06-07-2003, 10:40 AM
I disagree with one comment If your engine has to turn a pulley freewheel or not it takes power .Maybe not alot but if you pick-up fractions here and there they add up If you go racing you look to find extra horsepower Two things What extra load can you reduce on your engine and How much weight can you save:smokin:

jagojon3
06-07-2003, 05:16 PM
Ok my A/C sucks and everything needs to be replaced supposedly... so I'm going to say screw it and take it all out to get some more power. My first step is to just cut the belt and see how much of a difference that makes. My question is... will my check engine light come on or will there be any problems at all when I remove it?

smufguy
06-07-2003, 08:47 PM
easyryder, power loss at no AC is minimal when compared to no ac at all. The only distinguishable impact is the removal of the AC system or the Compressor alone. You defenitely notice the weigh reduction in the front. but when the AC is off, there is not a lot of power draining at ur crank.

Techno
06-07-2003, 09:23 PM
I think that there is less drag on the engine just in the simple fact of the belt not there.
There is deffinately a weight reduction as the compressor weighed in at 33 pounds and the condenser was 9 lbs and the piping was about 6 pounds. Also the bracket alone was 15 lbs. Also there is better airflow across the Radiator with the condenser gone.
Overall I think that it is better without all of it.

Techno