PDA

View Full Version : Idea for a CAI and Hoodscoop

Techno
06-06-2003, 08:35 PM
I was thinking about getting a hood from my local junkyard and playing with the idea of making a hoodscoop similar to the hood on the Subuaru WRX. I could feed the air from that directly to a custom made box over the Carb. Will look into it next week I think (payday) :D

Techno

Mike's89AccordLX
06-06-2003, 08:40 PM
Like this box? :D :D :D

http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/322000-322999/322549_5_full.jpg

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
06-06-2003, 08:41 PM
Looks Good, but any reason U have a bypass valve on that Short Ram Intake?

Mike's89AccordLX
06-06-2003, 08:43 PM
B/c I have a hoodscoop and I don't want to suck water into my intake. It rains and snows here so yeah.

Techno
06-06-2003, 08:45 PM
Mike where did you get your intake to fit the Carb?

Techno

A20A1
06-06-2003, 08:50 PM
Mike
if the filter is submerged in water it won't suck up the water cause of the pressure difference... if water just drips onto the filter there is no real change in pressure so chances are you'll suck in just as much water as you would without the bypass.

Mike's89AccordLX
06-06-2003, 08:51 PM
Well I have a Weber 32/36 downdraft carb and I also bought the very expensive weber intake. And the carb adapter came with it (with the filter and pipe of course) But I had to modify it to be in that exact position and had to put the AEM air bypass valve on it too.

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
06-06-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by A20A1
Mike
if the filter is submerged in water it won't suck up the water cause of the pressure difference... if water just drips onto the filter there is no real change in pressure so chances are you'll suck in just as much water as you would without the bypass.

If that filter is submerged in water, that would mean his car is floating in some river.. :lol, but I figured that on short ram that actuall engine heat would just dry up the moisture.

A20A1
06-06-2003, 09:02 PM
I'm just saying that thats why they made the bypass... cause people would install the filters behind the bumper, close to the ground, where the big water puddles can get to it.

Also I'm not sure if having the intake pipe horizontal will cause problems either... cause most cold airs have the pipe sitting vertically when using the bypass.

anywho... dont take it off, it still looks neat. :D

Mike's89AccordLX
06-06-2003, 09:06 PM
Well I got it just b/c $35 is a lot cheaper than a new engine. I sometimes hit huge puddles and my car gets smashed with water and I just wanted to be safe. It was either the Air Bypass Valve or one of my Trojan condoms. :eek:

‹^› ‹(•¿•)› ‹^›
06-06-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Mike's89AccordLX
Well I got it just b/c $35 is a lot cheaper than a new engine. I sometimes hit huge puddles and my car gets smashed with water and I just wanted to be safe. It was either the Air Bypass Valve or one of my Trojan condoms. :eek:

Water Ruins Condoms, Your Better off with the Bypass Valve..Ever thought about extending make it a CAI?

Mike's89AccordLX
06-06-2003, 09:16 PM
Yeah I thought about it but I guess it's fine with my hoodscoop. I think I would get more air this way than with a bumper filter. I could be wrong but it makes sense to me.

A20A1
06-06-2003, 09:18 PM
Oh wait... Hello Techno :lol

Thats a good idea... don't worry about making a custom box for the stock carb... what you can do is get your old filter and wrap tape around the outside so it no longer sucks in air. Then on the lid just above the filter cut out a rectangle from the center of the lid... stay within the boarders of the filter cause you need the filter to seal the lower part of the lid. On top of the lid you add foam that is able to be squished when you close the hood but is rigid enough to fill the gaps.

If you need me to draw a picture I can.

Here is my hood BTW.

A20A1
06-06-2003, 09:24 PM
More ideas...

3G Jester
06-06-2003, 09:41 PM
Yeah..the post sez HS and CAI...

but if you have a CAI...the intake is already scraping the ground...the hood scoop serves no purpose really except to keep you engine bay cooler. wich is good for performance. However..i think that a hood scoop would have little effect on a CAI---since its relativly under the engine [and most eveyrthing else] all the way by the ground

Mike's89AccordLX
06-06-2003, 09:51 PM
Well if you really think about it then when you're driving cold air is getting rammed into the hoodscoop and it is sucked into the carb faster than you can blink. I highly doubt that blink is going to heat the air dramatically. And second it the engine will heat up that air then it will do the same if you have a CAI. B/c the piping is in the engine it will be under the same heat as would the pipe for my ram air setup. So I think it would be a toss up. (both is colder air than stock, and both will improve performance)

3G Jester
06-07-2003, 02:42 PM
im tellin ya man---get a freon cooled intake pipe--get the shit from an old refrigerator.

Techno
06-07-2003, 09:31 PM
I intend to force the air from the hoodscoop into the Carb and that will be my CAI. I do not intend to have a CAI in the traditional sense. Will keep you posted and if I can't post pics then someone else will have to post em for me

Techno

Techno
06-07-2003, 09:36 PM
Mike,

I like the box that you made for you short ram intake...one question though, what did you do with the box that had all the vaccum lines running to it? I look under my hood and where your box is a vaccum line box. Fact of the matter is where are all your vaccum lines? Looking at your picture I do not see many lines at all.

Techno

Mike's89AccordLX
06-07-2003, 09:38 PM
I would gladly post them if you wanted. Have you decided what scoop you're going to use? Are you making an airbox or using the stock one like A20A1 suggested? It would probably be easier for you to modify the stock airbox than to have a setup like I have. But I will always reccomend buying a weber b/c it's a great investment.

Mike's89AccordLX
06-07-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Techno
Mike,

I like the box that you made for you short ram intake...one question though, what did you do with the box that had all the vaccum lines running to it? I look under my hood and where your box is a vaccum line box. Fact of the matter is where are all your vaccum lines? Looking at your picture I do not see many lines at all.

Techno

The reason I don't have that vacuum line box is b/c I didn't need it when I got a weber carb. And I did the vacuum line removal that is in the how to's. And yeah it does look great without those vac. lines :)

Techno
06-07-2003, 09:44 PM
Mike,

Can you tell me the part number for the Weber Carb that you bought and how much is it?

Techno

Techno
06-07-2003, 09:48 PM
I intend to manufacture a custom hood scoop. I will attach the scoop to the intake with a flexible tube. I seen some tubing today that I think would be perfect. 3 in tube that is smooth inside. I think I will also make a box for the scoop to channel the air down to the carb and I will be making a custom box for that as well

Techno

Mike's89AccordLX
06-07-2003, 10:10 PM
Sure thing. I got my Weber 32/36 downdraft carb from www.carbsunlimited.com I paid $330 shipped. They beat prices so try and find a place that has them for around that price. And then send them an email telling them you found a cheaper price. And the Weber intake was in the "What's New" section. Paid $185 for the weber air intake.

Mike's89AccordLX
06-07-2003, 10:11 PM
Weber Intake.
http://www.carbsunlimited.com/airintake.asp

Carbs for our cars.
http://www.carbsunlimited.com/Weber/Dataresults.asp

This is the 32/36. 86 - 89
HONDA ACCORD 2.0 W/ MANUAL TRANS K728
32-36_DGEV_Electric_Choke

You can also go bigger and get the Weber 38/38 Which won't get as good as gas mileage as you would with the 32/36. The 38 would give you a little more power. But yeah if you don't have a manual transmission ask A20A1 how to modify the throttle linkage for an automatic.

A20A1
06-07-2003, 11:39 PM
OMG... just had a major downpour, and I was right n'de middle of trafffic so I cudn't pull ova to get out'duv de way of the wada splashing up from the cars in front.

Don't mind my funky spelling... I was trying to express the written form of mumbling. :D

I'm so bored right now.

Anywho, my car was bogging cause of the moisture... So I just kept the revs up to suck up the moisture before it built up too much.

Oh and mike... those thiker gaskets are a pain without a manifold heater. Little bits of gas dripple out of the weber when the car is off... the evaporating gas then freezez the plates if the car sits long enough. I'm getting boat loads of condensation on the upper most adapter plate just below the carb. Makes hell for starting.

Mike's89AccordLX
06-07-2003, 11:45 PM
So that's why my weber has been getting dirty around the bowl. I need to tune the carb when it warms up here. With how I have my carb setup (racing & driving) For racing I adjust the throttle cable on that throttle cable holder so the tension is tight. And then I will get WOT!!! But it started accelerating on it's own after I did that so I loosened it up so it was normal again but if I know I'm going to be racing I will tighten it up and balls to that walls man!!!! I'm bored too. Hey A20A1 who do I talk to about making the how to for my airbox? I will eventually get around to it and take tons of pics. I have had a bunch of requests to make one by people on here.

A20A1
06-08-2003, 12:15 AM
ACCORDEX does the how-to approval.

Mike's89AccordLX
06-08-2003, 12:21 AM
Thanks a lot for the info. Do I just make it then show him it or do I have to have him make me a thread and then I do the post? My custom box will be for a "normal" cone filter. But if someone has a weird filter they can use my how to as stepping stones and just make the numbers bigger. Any word on that thicker weather stripping? I might just make a bracket to hold the box up high so it makes a better seal.

pip
06-08-2003, 01:44 PM
AEM CAI with a tornado in the pipe
what intake fits nicely into the fender? is it the integra one?

Mike's89AccordLX
06-08-2003, 03:28 PM
Hey pip are you gonna pick DXHATCHBACK up for the meet b/c I think he needs a ride now. And read the FAQ's about the tornado thing. The tornado thing is a scam so don't buy it. That integra one and a civic one fit into the bumper. PM him or write it in the Ontario meet thread ok? Thanks a million.

pip
06-08-2003, 03:59 PM
yeah will do i got him on msn so i'll talk to him
crunch time to get the car looking decent lol
whats going on?, r ppl camping or leaving at the end of the day?

3G Jester
06-12-2003, 10:05 PM
PIP--
oh god....the tornado.....

dood..just.....dont.
go to here....

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=211730#post211730

3rdGenFanatic
06-13-2003, 12:45 AM
I beat an Acura RSX right after I put my tornado in. Highly reccommended product! But thre trick is.. you have to put three in a row inside your pipe and a strip of duct tape around the center of your air filter. After that, just make sure your battery is turned sideways for better airflow and you won't loose to anything!

3G Jester
06-13-2003, 02:50 AM
:lol you dont have any in your exhaust? i put one in there--totaly eliminates the need for a high flow cat!

1988starter
06-13-2003, 06:36 AM
Aww crap one of our members has a tornado my car is gonna get roasted.

A20A1
06-15-2003, 12:42 AM
http://www.jameng.com/products/index.phtml?section=13

new weber adapter mike...