PDA

View Full Version : Big time repair? HELP!!

86accord4dr
06-07-2003, 11:54 AM
Hey guys. Well it's been a while i know... BAD ME. I have a front end problem i'm sure. Can someone diagnose it for me before i decide if the 3g is too far gone or is it worth repair. The problem is this...

My CV joints were going when i bought the car last year but my buddy's dad (who's a semi truck mechanic) took a ride with me and said that it should be repaired but for now it was just an annoyance. (It did the tell-tale clicking when you accellerated while turning) This made for embarassing times at a light when i was turning CLICK CLICK CLICK but for what i payed for her i didn't really care. Just recently tho. it's been making a new sound while just driving in a straight line. It started out as a vibration i could feel through the floor board. The rate of the vibration was about twice a second at the speed limit. But now it's getting worse. You can now HEAR it going DUH DUH DUH DUH at speed and it's getting me worried. I really don't want to sink some major dough into her as she's pretty much a beater as it is. I'm thinking it's the transaxle all worn out. Which would probably mean a whole new front end rebuild.

First off has anyone had this problem and if so how much to get it done up. I hope to have a newer car for the winter so i just need something fixed to the point that it'll last for 6 months or so. What could be wrong or have i hit it on the nose?

Second, if i don't fix it and just take her easy (no more racing off the greens) will it hold for the 6 months or is it one day just gonna blow and leave me stranded. Sorry this is so long and i really appreciate you guys reading all this.

Thanks in advance

shepherd79
06-07-2003, 12:30 PM
Dude, just change the axles. i got my axles from autozone for $60 per side. You can do your own work. it is very easy.
if you don't repair it, one day they will lock up or fall off.

easyryder
06-07-2003, 12:32 PM
To me it sounds like your axles are just about done .You must have some self serve auto wreckers around there
Get a manual(library) and look it up
A little bit of maintanance and these cars go a really long way
Hope that helps

86accord4dr
06-07-2003, 12:34 PM
Yeah? That's all that's wrong? I thought it was something much worse. Should i do the CV's too while i'm at it or no?

Thanks guys

easyryder
06-07-2003, 12:38 PM
CV's are on the end of each axle .If you replave the complete axle you're done

86accord4dr
06-07-2003, 08:46 PM
wicked! thanks guys you've extended my time with my beast. Sweet. I'll have to get the axels, a case of beer and my buddy... how are they held on? just bolts?

HondaBoy
06-07-2003, 10:23 PM
umm gotta say fix those axles ASAP!!! if u drive it and its messing up at over 45mph, then u need to of course try and drive it as little as possible until u get those fixed. and try driving slowly and like a grandma. realy easy on the car. my axles were going bad 4 years ago and we drove on em for like 3 years or more when they were bad. then both got bad and i finally got em replaced last summer. that made a big difference in drivability. also it improved my acceleration. my friend that had a mazda MX-3 had his axles go bad. one got so bad and it finally seized up while he was driving making his car spin outta control into a light post. totaling his car, which was a POS anyway. but for ur car, its a 3gee and i wouldnt want to see it messed up. other things that arent so bad that can happen is if ur axles lock up, its because they either get stuff in them that shouldnt be there, or they over heat because of not grease making them expand and locking up. that can also mess up ur suspension and transmission. most people dont think this will happen, but dont take a chance. not trying to scare u, but that can happen. otherwise, u have a 3gee. they are ofcouse known for lasting a long time. oh, and i noticed by where it says posts: 187. just thought that was weird

86accord4dr
06-08-2003, 08:44 AM
yeah... 187... heh...

thanks a lot guys i will definitely check em out. i'm just really scared to take her into the shop cuz the hicks around here would be like "um, these hondas need some parts from the jap-an. i can fly them in but it's gonna cost ya!" and then get the bill for a grand cuz they had to import some metric washer fluid or something like that. But i'll give it a shot myself. If i can change my own alternator myself (we all know what a bitch that is to do on this model, i should be able to do the axels. i'm actually going to go look at her right now. see if there's any damage that i can see. thanks again. this is the only board i bother posting at. 3Geez RULES!

Mike's89AccordLX
06-08-2003, 08:49 AM
I'm going to have to disagree with you guys about the axles. I think it sounds like a bad ball joint. And bad CV shafts.

TJ89Accord
06-08-2003, 09:05 AM
maybe a bad tie rod end too. But definatly do the axels anyways if they are bad. good luck.

tim

86accord4dr
06-08-2003, 02:56 PM
yeah i'll crawl under there next weekend. hope the parts aren't too hard to come by

86accord4dr
06-14-2003, 12:01 AM
man after checking the manual on disassembly of the front end.. i'm not even going to try to do it... i'm thinking she's a gonner. now i have to find another 3g accord. :(

A nice '89 SEI would do just fine... anyone wanna donate to my cause??