PDA

View Full Version : Water in taillight?

jagojon3
06-07-2003, 05:35 PM
I have a '97 lx-i hatch and in my left taillight water drops form after it rains. I want to dry it out and seal it, but I have no idea how. I can get the taillight off, but then what?

easyryder
06-07-2003, 09:49 PM
'97??? I'll assume it is an 87
Take the taillight out ,use a blow dryer to make sure their is no moisture left then get some high grade silicone (aquarium) and run a fine bead on the seam edge

jagojon3
06-09-2003, 08:18 PM
Ok... I'm just curious as to what edge I apply the silicone to? Do I use it on the outer edge of the outer plastic cover? That appears to be where the water is trapped... I'm just curious if that is the correct/only place I seal up?

jagojon3
06-10-2003, 09:29 AM
anybody? I have the tails off and want to get this done tonight...

xbi0s
06-11-2003, 09:46 PM
Any seams... Esp in the back... Look for cracks too... Make sure you dry that bitch out GOOD or you'll get fog and shit in it...

Put the goop all around every seem, seal it up good :)

Dibbs
06-12-2003, 08:38 AM
Dude....Just drill it. Get a 1/8" bit and drill in the most inconspicuous place (the bottom nearest the corners works good). Problem solved. I had that problem and I changed the light housing gasket (hatchback) and I permatex'd the crap out of it to no avail. I just said screw it and hooked that small drill bit up to my Dremel and drilled through just far enough to break through where the leak was. It took about a week to dry out but no one can notice it on my car unless I point it out to them. Yeah, It's really shadetree but it worked.:D

Aarie$$oul
08-01-2003, 07:26 AM
I have the same problem. I'll try that silicone. YOu can pick that up from any auto part store?

danronian
08-01-2003, 07:42 AM
yeah, just make sure you get stuff that doesn't require engine heat to cure, just read the packages, you'll figure it out easily I'm sure

markmdz89hatch
08-01-2003, 07:51 AM
like Dibbie said, just drill it. I have done this to multiple hatch taillights. I learned to do it from a mechanic at the Honda dealership. It works. Just take the taillight off the car, and drill about 3-4 tiny 1/8" holes in the bottom of the housing as close to the outside of the lens as possible (the black part). Just don't drill too close to the outer lens so as not to mark that up at all. If you do it right, only you will ever know this has been done, and it will allow the housing to breath, and stop blowing out your brake light from the condensation. Silly-cone it all day long, and you're still not gonna keep the moisture out.